Author Topic: 87 Steering Collumn Alignmnt - HELP.  (Read 4423 times)

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
  • The rocket sled in Steel Blue.
  • Mood: Electrofied.
  • Car: C3 78 + C4 87 + C4 90
87 Steering Collumn Alignmnt - HELP.
« on: January 21, 2015, 04:50:43 PM »
OK - steering wheel and horn are now OK!. I now need to align the Column so it cancels the blinker. SO if I get the road wheels straight ahead, disconnect the "column to rack" link, then set the SW in the correct position to cancel evenly each side, then replace the link - it should be all aligned. Anyone, anyone........ OR are there marks etc that I should know about and therefore use ?!? ....... thanks to all of you who are about to guide me.
🖕 Vettech.

Offline sirfixalot

• Fuel Injected
  • Committee Member & Tech Adviser C3-C4
Re: 87 Steering Collumn Alignmnt - HELP.
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2015, 09:51:47 PM »
My 87 the column intermediate shaft can connect 2 ways onto rack & one way onto column easiest way is to jack up car till wheels clear the ground.Operate rH blinker turn wheel to right 360 degrees blinker then turnback should cancell at approximately 3 o clock when turned back to left mark top point of wheel with insulation tape. Centre wheel then do opposite for l/h side should cancel at about 9 o clock. Recentre wheel tape should now be at approx. 8 & 4 o'clock. If not turn wheel upside down remove tape & repeat process. It may be necessary to turn column shaft 180degrees then remove wheel & place back in correct position.It may also be necessary to adjust toe in /toe out on tie rods to fine tune the position of column in relation to the blinker cancel cam.   

Offline RHD.68.l89

• Four Barrel
    • www.invisiblecarbras.com.au
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 10:33:39 PM »
The tie rods should be the same length, they are not for fine tuning the indicator cancelling.

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
  • The rocket sled in Steel Blue.
  • Mood: Electrofied.
  • Car: C3 78 + C4 87 + C4 90
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2015, 05:29:16 PM »
Thanks guys - I  might just add here that some time ago the column to rack link was replaced. The conversion was so shoddy that the link rubbed on the steel subframe and had worn 1/2 way thru. This is because the column is set too far down as the fire wall is RS. I had a new link made from Duralium tube, narrower, stronger, longer and the original ends welded back on in the same positions by a drag racer  down Smithfield way - Everette I  think his name was - dam good job. Whilst the car was apart - the little vegies just loved playing race car with the free spinning S/wheel. Now some one is saying - "why longer?" Cause when the fire wall is fixed and the column moved there should be sufficient length left in the link.
🖕 Vettech.

Offline sirfixalot

• Fuel Injected
  • Committee Member & Tech Adviser C3-C4
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2015, 08:22:41 AM »
Yes the tie rod ends should be the same length & is probably part of the problem that they aren't currently the same length.Wheel align guys have a bad habit of adjusting toe in on one side which then puts the rack off centre & then puts the column out .R & R the steering wheel jobs done.
Thanks for coming. Then you find out blinkers don't cancel on one side
C3's are notorious for it, causes wheels to rub on one lock. I use a trammel on the C3's to measure the diagonals on the idler & pitman arms then adjust toe in on either side