Author Topic: This idiot sold his Corvette... and now he wants another one!  (Read 6997 times)

Offline Mattrix

• Four Barrel
This idiot sold his Corvette... and now he wants another one!
« on: December 01, 2014, 12:48:12 PM »
And I'm talking about myself :D
I sold my 78 because a) I needed money and b) I thought I'd be soon moving to the states (and I'd just buy another one there). The states plan has become more of a long term goal, so in the meantime I'm thinking I can fill the next 3-5 years with another beautiful Vette.
Has anything changed since I rego'd mine (back in 2009) with regards to regulations? Back then I just needed a blueslip, so I mucked around with the headlights, changed over the indicators with some home wiring (which worked perfectly and wasn't too difficult), swapped my sidepipes over to a standard pipe, and then found a guy that was nice and cruisy and loved the car enough to give me a blueslip without going over it with a fine toothed comb. Then found a pink slipper every year that also loved the car and never really complained that it wasn't quite right. But if things are different now, I want to be prepared.
Also, is there a comprehensive list in this forum (say, a sticky post) of the various shippers that bring cars out from LA? I can't remember who I used last time, but I remember all up with imports duties and taxes it cost me around 4k. If I can do it for around the same this time, then I'll be a happy chappy.
Having done it all before, I feel like I'm fairly well prepared, providing not too much (or nothing) has changed since I did it (I brought my car over at the end of 2005). I've found some great examples online for awesome prices, much cheaper than I thought I'd be able to find one for (thanks American recession!). I told the missus I'd sell my VX SS in order to fund one, she thinks I'm a bit nuts but it's my money and she know how much I loved my old Vette.
Anyway, keen to get back into it. I haven't even been in the forums since I sold it (which was over a year ago), as it was too depressing haha. But I'm excited now so let's see what happens.

Matt

Offline bfit

• Don't talk of dust and roses
  • Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
  • Mood: Honey reinforced
  • Car: Yes
Re: This idiot sold his Corvette... and now he wants another one!
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2014, 03:54:42 PM »
mate you should find a good one already registered
its the easiest way I think
Bfit
I have seen too many instances where people continue to pursue wrong courses of action because they do not take the time to think critically about what has happened in the past.’’
Winston Churchill

Offline Mattrix

• Four Barrel
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2014, 08:02:21 PM »
And more expensive way.
Having imported one before, it doesn't faze me at all to do it again. It can only go smoother than last time (halfway through the process, the guy bringing the car in died, and all his accounts were given to another shipping company), and I have a contact over there now who can help me find a good deal.

Offline Scott

• Tri Powered
  • Shed Dweller
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2014, 09:03:58 AM »
And more expensive way.

Not really.  The market was flooded with 'container fillers' when the conversion rate was at $1.10.  It's back at $0.86 now so a stateside car will cost you 20% more.

Offline bfit

• Don't talk of dust and roses
  • Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
  • Mood: Honey reinforced
  • Car: Yes
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2014, 09:17:48 AM »
There Is one car in the club for sale
if your interested in a 70 model 454 auto it worth a look at, if only to compare  against  a vehicle you may  import
Bfit
I have seen too many instances where people continue to pursue wrong courses of action because they do not take the time to think critically about what has happened in the past.’’
Winston Churchill

Offline Mattrix

• Four Barrel
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2014, 11:53:04 AM »
Actually looking to get something similar to what I had. I prefer the newer shape of C3s, so it'll probably be a car between 78 and 81.
And yeah it definitely sucks about the conversion rate. At the time I bought my last one, it was about .75 so it ended up costing me 25% more. Still, I can't find anything local that's close to what I'd want to spend. Obviously there are a lot of cheaper cars in the states that aren't worth the time, but with my contact over there at least I have someone that can check it out prior to me throwing my money at it.

Offline Mattrix

• Four Barrel
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2016, 08:40:44 PM »
Ended up buying a '77 Pontiac Firebird. Corvettes aren't exactly for the "family man" with no back seats! :D

Offline Scott

• Tri Powered
  • Shed Dweller
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2016, 09:31:22 AM »
Nice.  I've been keeping an eye on that era trans-am for the same reason.  I ended up with a 71 ZD fairlane as I can (just) fit a rear facing baby seat in the back.  Something that was an issue with the mustang.  In a few years I may be able to swap to something 2 door again with the smaller back seat.

Offline sirfixalot

• Fuel Injected
  • Committee Member & Tech Adviser C3-C4
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2016, 07:37:35 PM »
Is the Pontiac here in Aus  or are you importing?

Offline Mattrix

• Four Barrel
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2016, 01:44:49 PM »
It's here in Aus, in my driveway!
And I have no idea if I can fit a rear-facing baby seat in the back. If I can't, I'll be doing some adjusting of the front passenger seat because I don't have an option, I need to be able to fit 2 young kids in the back :)

Here's the car:

And here's my thread in the camaro/firebird forum:

http://camaro-firebird.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=38625#38625

Offline sirfixalot

• Fuel Injected
  • Committee Member & Tech Adviser C3-C4
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2016, 02:21:30 PM »
I have done child restraint anchor points in the rear of same car & also fitted 3 point belts

Offline Scott

• Tri Powered
  • Shed Dweller
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2016, 08:49:55 AM »
The rear facing seats that then convert to front facing will likely be an issue.  You may have to buy a dedicated rear facing seat as they are much more compact.  These things can be stupidly large.  The fancy one we have barely fits in my wifes Mazda 6 in rear face mode, and they aren't a small car...

Looks like you will be having some fun anyway :)

Offline Mattrix

• Four Barrel
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2016, 06:28:42 PM »
Yeah thought that may be the case, it's one of the last things I'm worried about, to be honest, my mind is all about compliance and rego at this point!