Author Topic: engine oil cooler  (Read 6151 times)

Offline onya

• Four Barrel
engine oil cooler
« on: June 14, 2004, 10:06:37 PM »
My 86 have a engine oil cooler but it has a few dings, can they be recored. This is for future reference. Also disc brake pads is the any of the Aust cars that will fit the vette. That's all I can think of now, more to follow.;27
Found them, I reckon some RAT hid them.

Offline Vette Obsessed

• Supercharged
    • http://www.nswcorvettes.com.au
engine oil cooler
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2004, 04:12:57 PM »
onya, I have a feeling the cooler you are referring to is a power steering cooler.  Is the cooler you are referring to located just above the front crossmember?  If so, that should be your power steering cooler.  I haven't tried to have one recored but I don't see how recoring one would be easy based on the way it is constructed.  Maybe someone else here can clarify?

The braking sytem for C4 Corvettes is/was built by Girlock Australia (now PBR).  You will most likely find that Commodore pads will fit the caliper assemblies.  FWIW, I have Commodore pads in my rear brakes although I had to have the pad surface machined to get the caliper to fit over the rotor because the Corvette pads appear to be a touch thinner than the Commodore items.  I am not too sure about your handbrake shoes though - (87 and earlier cars had a handbrake operated by a separate drum assembly instead of running off the rear caliper)... Sourcing replacement discs locally is not a problem.
"Life's tough.  It's tougher when you're stupid"

Offline onya

• Four Barrel
engine oil cooler
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2004, 08:28:04 PM »
The oil cooler in the front is no little thing, if this is a power steering they sure must get hot. The oil cooler is big and i mean big, I've seen auto trans coolers which is a decent size, but I really don't think this is for power steering, but I will check and let you know later. Thank anyway for the brakes advice.

Offline onya

• Four Barrel
engine oil cooler
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2004, 09:49:26 PM »
Checked out the oil cooler it,s a big a the engine radiator.  But I can not see any hoses or pipe connected to it, will have to put on ramps and have a better look .

Offline 87Z51

• Four Barrel
engine oil cooler
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2004, 04:54:53 PM »
The oil cooler if fitted is mounted between the block and the oil filter.The power steering cooler if fitted is mounted down low in front of the cross member with brackets that mount on to the 2 braces to the nosecone.The A/c radiator is mounted in front of the radiator , not visible without removing radiator shroud.If it ain't one of these it could be aftermarket.

Apparently the HP VN / VP Commodores used the same calipers but I found that originals from usgmserviceparts (member DCMPONT ) were cheaper than Commodore ones.Parking shoes I just got relined approx $20.00