Author Topic: Hooker or OBX headers and side exhaust and resonated or non-resonated?  (Read 9147 times)

Offline Matt G

• Four Barrel
  • Car: 1970 Coupe 350 manual.
Taking a poll (and any advice). I "unfolded" my muffler when Nick came over to photograph my car last weekend, so I'm looking to do the whole system on my 70 (GM Sportsmanship block - 350 with minor work). Looking for a either all stainless or stainless headers and black sides with no covers. Yep, hot, I know, but cool angry looking, and since my wife doesn't sit in the car I don't care about burnt calves....
Currently have hooker super comp headers and rear exhaust, so I'll need some advice on rear panel patching also.
Any votes and advice appreciated.
Cheers

Offline Matt G

• Four Barrel
Re: Hooker or OBX headers and side exhaust and resonated or non-resonated?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2014, 11:35:01 PM »
Oops. To clarify I'm trying to decide between hooker and OBX brands, and then trying to decide between resonated and non-resonated pipes. I'm 99% sure that I'm going with side pipes.

Offline 72vet

• Supercharged
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2014, 01:05:37 PM »
Hi Matt

The pipes come down to personal choice. You are lucky your Mrs doesn’t partake in your passion for the Vette. If you do go with the Side pipes, you’re guaranteed not to have any conversation in the car, even with yourself. :bolt:

Head down on 18th of this month to the BBQ night at Doonside. I’m sure there will be cars there with sidepipes for you to look at.

The rear panel, I know two members who will do the job for you.
CLICK ME to see my albums.

Offline Matt G

• Four Barrel
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2014, 02:13:33 PM »
I should be okay for the 18th (out of state a bit at the moment). I'm loving the stock car-like sound at the moment, but I think I'd need ear muffs if I did a longer drive. The OBX seem to be cheaper and I've seen some feedback about Hooker systems needing extra welding and mods to make them fit, but hooker has a pretty good reputation.... no idea which brand to go with.  Sounds like resonated would be the smart choice for mixed driving.

Offline wabco40

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2014, 08:07:42 PM »
Taking a poll (and any advice). I "unfolded" my muffler when Nick came over to photograph my car last weekend, so I'm looking to do the whole system on my 70 (GM Sportsmanship block - 350 with minor work). Looking for a either all stainless or stainless headers and black sides with no covers. Yep, hot, I know, but cool angry looking, and since my wife doesn't sit in the car I don't care about burnt calves....
Currently have hooker super comp headers and rear exhaust, so I'll need some advice on rear panel patching also.
Any votes and advice appreciated.
Cheers

I am using Doug's ceramic side mount headers. I had Hooker headers but they didn't come close to fitting correctly.

The Doug's side pipe headers fitted perfectly, however they don't come in stainless.

I originally had STS inserts in the side pipes, they sounded ok but where very loud. I have since changed them to Classic Chambered Exhausts 2.5" inserts. These have given it a deeper sound but are still loud.

For the rear exhaust cutouts I fitted an Ecklers rear exhaust filler panel. It needed quite a bit of work to get it to fit correctly. See the link below.

http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-general/3221141-rear-exhaust-filler-panel.html

I currently have both rear fenders removed from my car. I plan on glassing the rear filler panel in when I fit the new fenders.

Brad

Offline 69 DIRTY RAT

• Supercharged
    • http://www.ratpackmuscle.com/
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2014, 10:28:32 PM »
obx have great stainless side pipes!
http://ratpackmuscle.com/ SCARY TOUGH MUSCLECARS

69 540ci, 755HP 734FtLb RAT, 629rwhp

*I LUV MY '69 ZL-1 540ci VETTE, AND SO DOES YOUR GIRLFRIEND!                   

Offline MR 502

• Four Barrel
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2014, 11:05:48 AM »
I fitted OBX headers & sidepipes to my 68 a few months back and love the deep sound they put out, they fitted perfect (LHD) and couldn't beat the price about $1250 au delivered to my door no tax, eBay USA. Ill be at the Tuesday BBQ next week if you want to see them. Good luck with your choice. Warryn

Offline Matt G

• Four Barrel
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2014, 10:31:42 PM »
Okay, thanks guys. Will be at the BBQ. Keen to look at and hear the OBX Warryn.

Offline Matt G

• Four Barrel
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2014, 10:40:56 PM »
Hey guys, I thought that I'd post an update.  After all of our discussions, and hearing a few cars with their side pipes at the BBQ, I ended up staying with my hooker headers and then running a new system out the back. I almost went with a Varex valved system, but apparently they get hot enough to ignite rubber if you don't run them open for long enough. I thought about a "Y" junction and a valve, but eventually I went with a straight through system. Much simpler,  seams to give me a little more bottom end, and sounds pretty nice as a bonus. Not sure how it would go with a noise test, but it's quieter than I expected at higher revs. I'm pretty sure that it would fail any noise check at about 1500 rpm.  It appears to have a resonating harmonic around there that will occasionally bring on an involuntary cough from the vibration, and then a selfish giggle after I realise that it was caused by the sound of the Vette.
Thanks everyone for your feedback and suggestions.
Cheers :cheers:

Matt

Offline rosco

• Four Barrel
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2014, 07:57:13 AM »
so no mufflers at all  mmmm that will be interesting to hear. Surprising about the bottom end thought it would have given better top end with a little away from the bottom end.

Ross

Offline Matt G

• Four Barrel
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2014, 08:12:11 AM »
Sorry Ross, it has mufflers, however there are no redirections within the muffler. Like a motorbike muffler, however I'm pretty sure that there's no glass packing around the main pipe. Each side has a hotdog and an oval muffler, but they're through pipes. I agree about the top end. It may have a little more there also because it unusually chirped into third gear on the drive home, however nothing that was massively noticeable.  The bottom end will allow me to pull from a standing start at idle now, whereas I'd previously have to give it a few hundred to prevent stalling. Defies logic huh.... :huh: