Author Topic: degreasing motor  (Read 6556 times)

Offline onya

• Four Barrel
degreasing motor
« on: June 07, 2004, 08:42:20 PM »
I would like to degrease the 86 motor as it has a bit of thick oil and other yuck on it. Is the any parts that i need to cover up when I hose the crap off, I gather the dissy has to be done but for the rest i not sure. Just made a excellent set of ramps for the vette.
Found them, I reckon some RAT hid them.

Offline Brutus

• Fuel Injected
    • http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c3/brutus
degreasing motor
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2004, 08:49:05 PM »
Definately cover up the alternator as well.
BOB

THE C3 SHARK TANK - The best, first, and oldest site for owners of 1968 to 1982 Corvettes

Offline 77CVT

• Fuel Injected
    • www.autobabes.com.au
degreasing motor
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2004, 10:23:02 AM »
Cover any relays as well.  I had one crap out on me just before the convention due to some enthusiastic cleaning.

I found it easier to get the motor just warm, blast off the top layer of gunk with water then hit it with some degreaser.

Offline Vette Obsessed

• Supercharged
    • http://www.nswcorvettes.com.au
degreasing motor
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2004, 01:29:07 PM »
FWIW, it has been my experience that degreaser helps to discolour the stock rocker covers (ie: help turn them brown).  I would try avoid giving them too much degreaser myself.
"Life's tough.  It's tougher when you're stupid"

Offline onya

• Four Barrel
degreasing motor
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2004, 08:46:57 PM »
Thanks guys, will do all of the above. I intend to take to rocker covers off and polish them up and I have started with the injector box or what ever you call it and it looks pretty good. This should keep me busy for a while. Thanks again;27:drink;27
Found them, I reckon some RAT hid them.