Author Topic: 87 C4 Blinker return alignment.  (Read 3712 times)

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
  • The rocket sled in Steel Blue.
  • Mood: Electrofied.
  • Car: C3 78 + C4 87 + C4 90
87 C4 Blinker return alignment.
« on: August 26, 2014, 11:43:38 PM »
This is annoying - blinker does not reset once your turned the corner. The lower section between the column and the rack was replaced as it was nearly rubbed thru on the sub frame - a guy a Smithfield - Glen Everett I  think (had a drag rail in his w'hse) cut it up saving the uni joints and welded a piece of Duralium tube in place. Since the column  is set too low down, I  had him make it longer so later I  can reset the column  correctly - I  assume when I  put it back together I  got the position incorrect. Does any one know if there is a procedure to set this up correctly or is it a matter of suck it and see.
🖕 Vettech.

Offline sirfixalot

• Fuel Injected
  • Committee Member & Tech Adviser C3-C4
Re: 87 C4 Blinker return alignment.
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 08:25:26 AM »
Just been thru this process  you have probably connected the intermediate shaft to column 180 degrees out in relation to column. To prove it jack up car operate RH blinker then turn wheel 1 full turn to right turn back slowly untill blinker cancels, put a piece of tape on steer wheel at top. Repeat for LH blinker . Centre between the 2 pieces of tape should be straight ahead in column. Then disconnect intermediate shaft & put wheels straight reconnect intermediate shaft & retry blinkers. L & R should cancel at approximately 3 & 9 o clock. You may also have to relocate wheel back to straight ahead

Offline 77CVT

• Fuel Injected
    • www.autobabes.com.au
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 08:33:36 AM »
 :agree:

There is also a mark on the column centre and a mark on the wheel.  Those two should line up.

Mine didn't and I had your problem.  I lined them up and then discovered I couldn't remove the end clamp on the spline of the intermediate shart (as it was about 25 deg out).  That meant my wheel wasn't straight so I adjusted the tie rods and got an alignment.  It just means I have a good turning circle one way but very little on the other - lucky I can steer with the right foot in these.   :drag:

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 07:43:57 PM »
Thanks guys - off to Tugerrah tomorrow - and I  need this back together for 4/7Sept weekend in Port. Pulled out radio yesterday, back in today - now it locks to stations but not in Stereo. At least I'll  have one less thing for someone to complain about all the way to Port. I have to order some bits from US for horn/column etc so I'll  file this for later. Thanks all once again.
🖕 Vettech.

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2014, 10:56:54 PM »
Like a drug I  couldn't  leave it alone - Esp since I've  made up the tool - which works a treat. Pulled SW part, thinking I  could turn the signal cancel cam over or around 90° NOW the penny drops. The SW shaft, cam & lock plate are all "keyed" to the SW shaft which has two flats, the lock plate has three (3) holes for the cam to sit in - allowing power for the horn. The cam has a small extra plastic pin (easy to miss ) which only goes into one of the three slots. Thus the lock plate & cam  can only go together one way, so if we turn them 90° and put onto shaft, we then cant get the lock plate retainer or "C clip" in place - as it also is keyed (one thick leg & one thin leg). You could force it but the plastic Cam bits sticking up thru the slots prevents this. So I  think it's back together correctly, still out of alignment, but this can be fixed when I  separate the SW shaft from the extension shaft - In the future - something to look forward to. Now I  better put "HER" door back together or I wont hear an end to it all the way to Port.  :fingerx:
🖕 Vettech.