Author Topic: 87 - C4 Steering Column  (Read 3926 times)

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
  • The rocket sled in Steel Blue.
  • Mood: Electrofied.
  • Car: C3 78 + C4 87 + C4 90
87 - C4 Steering Column
« on: August 25, 2014, 08:18:01 PM »
My 87 has an issue with the steering wheel - it's a TT type, when fully out you can't lock the steering wheel (SW) in position. The position lock works on a cam or key that sticks out of the inner shaft - this key rides in a slot machined down the inside of the main outer shaft. The shafts are locked together at any  SW height by screwing a bolt down on a central rod which tensions the key up into the slot which binds and locks them in position. But when apart mine has the slot - but at the top the slot is deeper, hence when the SW is fully out, the cam can't lock because the slot is too deep - there is not enough available movement in the locking lever on the SW to lock in all positions. It looks like the slot has a (possibly S'steel ) insert that takes the wear and tear - but does not come all the way to the top of the slot (key way). It has not slipped down or anything. It just looks like it was a mistake and made short.
Has anyone taken one apart, seen what I'm describing or know anything that could help me. Thanks.
🖕 Vettech.

Offline 77CVT

• Fuel Injected
    • www.autobabes.com.au
Re: 87 - C4 Steering Column
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 08:41:58 AM »
From memory the only issue I had was not getting the lever/screw in the right position when putting in the little locking screws.  It either wouldn't lock or the lever in full lock was halfway where it should be.  It was a little trial and error.

I don't recall a slot but mines an 85.  http://keenparts.com/pages/Catalog3.php?cat=350&diagram=35011&year=ALL

:cheers:

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 09:37:44 PM »
Thanks for that - I  have similar diagram, BUT here is another question - on the left side above the first part of the column there s a funny looking widget - I  think they call a retainer - I  don't have this and it appears in other diagrams - but what does it retain - any ideas.
🖕 Vettech.

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 11:30:02 PM »
Been surfing - CorvetteAmerica site has parts and pics the funny bit is a steering wheel nut retainer - most stop the nut coming right off and allowing the SW to be pulled off when driving. I've always had to use a wheel puller to get it off even if I hadn't  tightened it down previously.  Still cant see any thing about the slot depth.
🖕 Vettech.

Offline 77CVT

• Fuel Injected
    • www.autobabes.com.au
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2014, 08:27:47 AM »
Looks like the retainer is under the steering wheel.  Can't say I remember it.  My steering wheel won't come off at all now!

Are you saying when the wheel is fully out, the lever is tight? (or can you still move the lever easily?)