Author Topic: '79 C3 Rear Leaf Spring Pack Swivelling  (Read 4919 times)

Offline stuclark

• Two Barrel
  • '79 C3
'79 C3 Rear Leaf Spring Pack Swivelling
« on: May 24, 2014, 06:21:16 PM »
Sorry if this is a dumb question?

week 3 of owning my '79 C3 and I have found that the Rear Leaf pack has swiveled.  Is this something that is known? Can I swivel it back somehow or is it a rip out, replace, and chuck out the old?

Is this something that I can source locally or is it another U.S purchase with freight?

Hope I can get some guidance from others with more experience

Offline 72vet

• Supercharged
Re: '79 C3 Rear Leaf Spring Pack Swivelling
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2014, 07:16:24 PM »
How far have they moved, any Pic’s? If you’re going to remove the spring be very careful when loosening the end bolts as you can do a lot of damage to yourself.
If you need some help give me a call as I’m only around the corner from St Clair  :thumb:

Nick 0411 126 383
CLICK ME to see my albums.

Offline MY081

• I'm here. Woo Hoo! :)
  • Fuel Injected
  • Pleb
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2014, 08:04:12 PM »
Hi stuclark All Springs at moorebank can recondtion or repac your spring . Best way to go is new plastic spring , in my opinion .(All Springs phone number is 026016155 )

Offline stuclark

• Two Barrel
  • '79 C3
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2014, 10:03:05 PM »
Thanks for the reply, I do have a pic, but struggling to get it small enough to post on the forum. Will compress and post tomorrow.

Offline stuclark

• Two Barrel
  • '79 C3
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2014, 08:50:33 AM »
not a good pic, but you get the idea. I have a better shot, but can't get the file size small enough to upload

Offline sirfixalot

• Fuel Injected
  • Committee Member & Tech Adviser C3-C4
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2014, 10:10:57 AM »
Hi Stu
after looking at the pic you emailed me the centre bolt may have broken in spring also depending on the width of spring & the diff rear housing you may need spacers either side of 4  mounting bolts to keep it all straight. Cant remember there is some springs which require a shim either side. Some one may be able to add some info

Offline rosco

• Four Barrel
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2014, 10:16:26 AM »
from the looks of what i can see is the plastic, rubber between the leafs have perished and this has allowed them to move.
This is due to the 4 bolts that hold it to the diff now slightly lose and have allowed the leafs to spread.
Quick fix hit them back in alignment and tighten bolts.
Correct fix pull the leaf spring out be careful with this (look up how to do it)and replace the plastic, rubber strips available from most corvette suppliers and have the spring retention and put it all back together.
Just be very careful when you do this those 4 bolts will have a heap of gunk in there holes and over tightening them with out cleaning them out first will crack the diff plate.

Ross

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
  • The rocket sled in Steel Blue.
  • Mood: Electrofied.
  • Car: C3 78 + C4 87 + C4 90
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2014, 04:12:02 PM »
Yes if the leaf seperators are perished or missing then the spring has free play. The spring has one bolt/stud in the centre to set them longitudinaly, the bottom spring (longest) is held by the long bolt at the trailing arm, make sure to brush the crap off the threads, count the free threads to ensure the same position upon replacement. Some recommend replacing  this bolt, make sure if you do - to get the same length bolt. The centre of spring is held square by a Plate, two side Spacer plates, four bolts and the Diff carrier Assy. For some reason the 4 bolts each have a spring washer and ONLY the front two have a Flat Washer as well - don't ask I don't know Y.  The large bolt on the end of the spring did come in three lengths to set different heights for diff factory options. Parts were avial from Chev Parts at Yenora (call Ian)  or I'm sure Ponti World would also have them - they charge $11 delivery into Syd metro from memory. Hope this helps - I 'm at Cecil Hills and have a build book with exploded diagrams -but no torque info.
🖕 Vettech.

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
  • The rocket sled in Steel Blue.
  • Mood: Electrofied.
  • Car: C3 78 + C4 87 + C4 90
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2014, 04:24:03 PM »
Sorry I waffled on in that last post, if you need to drive it - loosen the four bolts at the diff carrier and use two wood blocks and a G clamp to clamp them square and tighten the four bolts, if you still have movement, then you need to do as Ray suggested and get the leaf seperators replaced. If it has a centre BOLT - you could DIY.
🖕 Vettech.

Offline stuclark

• Two Barrel
  • '79 C3
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2014, 05:05:01 PM »
 :cheers:everyone for the info and advice. I have had a quick look this evening and seen what you have been mentioning in how it all mounts up. but running out of light and energy to tackle this weekend. put it on the list for next week......