Author Topic: 87 tuned port injectors.  (Read 6409 times)

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
  • The rocket sled in Steel Blue.
  • Mood: Electrofied.
  • Car: C3 78 + C4 87 + C4 90
87 tuned port injectors.
« on: April 29, 2014, 10:12:09 PM »
I have an 87 running rough, #1 & #8 are half the temp (~125'C)  all others ~269'C indicates to me possible crook injectors - my question without reading the book, "is it possible to remove two injectors easily or do I have start at the top and pull every thing off ?..... any help muchly appreciated.
🖕 Vettech.

Offline sabre

• Tri Powered
  • C4 Rocks but Excalibur Cruises
  • Mood: How good is retirement!
Re: 87 tuned port injectors.
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2014, 07:58:19 PM »
I have an 87 running rough, #1 & #8 are half the temp (~125'C)  all others ~269'C indicates to me possible crook injectors - my question without reading the book, "is it possible to remove two injectors easily or do I have start at the top and pull every thing off ?..... any help muchly appreciated.
Sorry Doug. Got to lift the rail  :therethere:

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2014, 09:11:58 PM »
Your right mate - I finally found my books and sure enough it's start at the top and work down, any way at least now I won't be ble to cut corners and only do two injectors. But with eight out, I'll have to tag them to ensure they are really crook or at least the crookeresters. Thanks for the reply
🖕 Vettech.

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
Re: 87 tuned port injectors - update
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2014, 04:05:44 PM »
After a lot of tests it appears 1 & 8 are half the temp of the other 6 exhaust manfolds, it appears the removal of the  manifold, runners etc is a bit of a test - I'm glad now that some one else is doing it. Any way they appear pretty crappy and with a quick flow test, 8 is a full on tap whilst 1 is six needle sharp fine streams - the other 6 seem to have cones. . They should heat them in the bath on Monday  and after a good clean,  we will see. It's interesting, as I expected 1/8 to have very little flow at all, so the actual flow rate, spray shape makes a big difference.
🖕 Vettech.

Offline coradict72

• Four Barrel
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2014, 08:20:21 PM »
Good luck with the repair who is doing it may need them some day cheers

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2014, 06:00:38 PM »
The injectors came back this arvo, all cleaned up well and are spaying a neat cone at the correct rate. I went down to look at how they were going, should have stayed away. I won't repeat the mechanics words - suffice to say he was not impressed with the way GM has built up this engine, also something about the number of joints in his fingers and hands not being enough. Hopefully it will be going tomorrow. But Jensen always gives the bad along with the good, appears that there was a lot of oily deposits around the injector tips, indicative of oil and crap in the upper cylinder area - means the PCB is sucking up oil and burnt crap from the sump. Doesn't appear to be blowing smoke - but Jens assures me that it can still be burning oil. Oh well we will see. Maybe it will be on the road for brekky this weekend.
🖕 Vettech.

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2014, 04:37:39 PM »
Just for interest - the original "running like a dog" is still with me, but the car now has even greater range and goes like the clappers - all cylinders are running even temps with the clean injector nozzles. The original issue is definitely module/wiring or electronic of some type and it is intermittent. I tried some of that Injector cleaner stuff in the BA and it made a big difference with it too. I'm not a follower of Snake Balm or miracle cures - but this treatment with be part of my ~ 6/12 month servicing in the future.
🖕 Vettech.

Offline Scott

• Tri Powered
  • Shed Dweller
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2014, 09:25:24 AM »
Dud O2 sensors in the exhaust will cause a rough idle and excessive fuel consumption, but you don't want to just replace them and hope it's the problem.

Offline sabre

• Tri Powered
  • C4 Rocks but Excalibur Cruises
  • Mood: How good is retirement!
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2014, 02:50:38 PM »
Just for interest - the original "running like a dog" is still with me, but the car now has even greater range and goes like the clappers - all cylinders are running even temps with the clean injector nozzles. The original issue is definitely module/wiring or electronic of some type and it is intermittent. I tried some of that Injector cleaner stuff in the BA and it made a big difference with it too. I'm not a follower of Snake Balm or miracle cures - but this treatment with be part of my ~ 6/12 month servicing in the future.
As a matter of interest, what is the manifold temp when "they are all good". My project car was running well but after sitting for 6 months or so #1 and #2 got so hot you could read by them. I'm thinking crap fuel has caused the two cylinders to run very lean. Not game to run it at all until I can have them cleaned as I don't want to destroy the rebuilt motor.

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2014, 05:40:18 PM »
Thanks Scott I'll  read up and test it.  The temps I can't remember - but I'll  run the lazer over them tomorrow when I start tomorrow do some real work on it. I think low was 120ish whilst normal is 180ish.
🖕 Vettech.