Author Topic: suspension  (Read 5375 times)

Offline Dale

• Two Barrel
  • I'm new here
suspension
« on: April 07, 2014, 03:59:53 PM »
I am thinking of upgrading the suspension on my 80 vette. I understand that a monoleaf (340lb) should help the ride considerably as well as reduce some weight, always a good thing. What I was wondering is if anyone in the club has also upgraded their shocks and could give me some guidance on how it went. I am looking to smooth out the ride more than improve the handling, probably put a bigger front and maybe a rear sway bar if it feels too slopy.

Offline 72vet

• Supercharged
Re: suspension
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 06:18:12 PM »
Recently replaced the rear spring on my 72 with a Mono 340lb and found the ride much smoother, worth spending the $$$.

One thing, the rear height will become an issue with the Mono, if you like a lowered stance, order a pair of C4  10” long bolts. That way you will have plenty of adjustment for the height. I thought I'd get away with the C3 8” long bolts which I already had on the car but it sat too high for my liking.

Rear sway bar is the way to go, IMO

Adjustable Shocks, Brillstein or Koni
CLICK ME to see my albums.

Offline MY081

• I'm here. Woo Hoo! :)
  • Fuel Injected
  • Pleb
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 08:51:44 PM »
Hi Dale i also have the mono spring there great and Bilstein make a motor carner shock yellow with a blue top i fine them an excellent shock they stop a lot of the front to rear weight transfer (they are rear shocks only)

Offline Dale

• Two Barrel
  • I'm new here
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 09:15:23 AM »
Just got this from Corvette America, what do you think?

Dale,

You're correct - "SUNNYDAYS" is applicable only to ground shipping within the continental USA.

Let's "talk" suspension here for a bit. Due to a Corvette's shorter leverage arm due in the rear suspension, it is very hard to dial in a soft ride and control camber change through the suspension's range of motion. If you go too soft the rear end becomes very unstable if it hits a bump mid-turn in the back-end.

Despite the marketing materials in our and other catalogs, you can run a 300lb rear spring on the back-end of your Corvette. Non-F41 cars ran ~200lb spring from the factory, which is too soft by today's standards.

Knowing you're after a softer ride - but not so soft you're compromising handling, I'd recommend the following:

Part#         Description                      UM  Ord  Shp   Price
40599   63-82 COMPOSITE SPRING. VBP 300LB      EA    1       337.91
1844    63-82 REAR SPRING HANGER KIT.          EA    1    1   41.35
40594   80-82 SPRING CENTER PLATE MOUNT KIT. R EA    1    1   47.51
40579   63-82 SHOCK ABSORBER. REAR KYB EXCEL-G EA    2    2   36.07
40578   63-82 SHOCK ABSORBER. FRONT KYB EXCEL- EA    2    2   36.95

I added hardware kits 1844 & 40594 as they are not included in the 40599.
I've also applied a 12% discount on the above products.

Adding shocks to the freight tab would be an additional $49.00

Let me know if you have additional questions!

Sincerely,
Jim Wegielewski
Corvette America Sales Dept.
800-458-3475 x219
717-667-3174 (Fax)

Offline MY081

• Fuel Injected
  • Pleb
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2014, 09:48:58 AM »
If your looking for a softer ride the above sounds just right, You have to remember these guys do these setups every day .I would be very interested in the result if you go ahead with the conversion. Ray

Offline Dale

• Two Barrel
  • I'm new here
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2014, 09:55:07 AM »
What do you think about a rear sway bar as suggested by 72 Vet Ray?  Do you have one on your car?

Offline bfit

• Don't talk of dust and roses
  • Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
  • Mood: Honey reinforced
  • Car: Yes
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2014, 10:25:02 AM »
Hi  Dale
Im running a 360 rear spring   with a 3/4" Vansteel sway bar
I find it a good set up
But it all depends on what you want out of your car.
 the spring i have is shortened 1" each side , it allows  for good wheel clearance when it comes to running  wider wheel/ tyre combinations
Bfit
I have seen too many instances where people continue to pursue wrong courses of action because they do not take the time to think critically about what has happened in the past.’’
Winston Churchill

Offline MY081

• Fuel Injected
  • Pleb
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2014, 05:37:29 PM »
No i dont have a rear bar they tend to produce oversteer and vettes have enough of that . I have a inch and one eighth front bar, on the track that works for me . Id suggest you fit the above kit and drive it if you are happy with that fine ,if not id go to a bigger front bar try that and then a rear bar but i dont think youll need the rear one , just my toughts Ray

Offline Dale

• Two Barrel
  • I'm new here
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2014, 09:18:06 AM »
Thanks everyone for your thoughts and help, I will post the results when I get it installed.

Offline Dale

• Two Barrel
  • I'm new here
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2014, 10:26:51 AM »
Have been trying to decide wether to go for the suggesed 300lb rear spring for a really soft ride or a 340lb to maintain the handeling.
The 300lb will affect the handeling I am told, but from a few comments I have heard the 340lb will still smooth the ride noticeably over the standard leaf spring.
Combined with their gas shocks do you guys think their will be a noticable ride improvement with this set up ie: 340 lb plus gas shocks?