Author Topic: Performance Intake manifolds C4  (Read 9316 times)

Offline johnny86convert

• Four Barrel
Performance Intake manifolds C4
« on: May 17, 2004, 09:33:32 PM »
Would  like  to  know  any  info  on  performance  manifolds  &  throttle  bodies,  price,suppliers  general  specs  and  info  would  be  appreciated  gang  thanks.....I  have an  88  convertable  stock  standard  17,000  miles  young. Would  just  like  to  tweek  the  grunt,  am planning  on  headers/extractors,3.5  diff  52  mil  throttle  body,  adjustable  fuel  regulator?  and  performance  manifold????  any  other  tips  without  going  into  cams  would  be  appreciated  also.................;)

Offline Thunder Kiss

• Four Barrel
    • http://photobucket.com/albums/v290/ThunderKiss/
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2004, 10:06:43 PM »
How about an Edelbrock High-Flo system like this? Good between idle and 5500rpm.  Makes 18-20hp over stock with no other changes required.

Offline Nik

• Four Barrel
    • http://www.niksweb.com
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2004, 06:02:15 AM »
can't go past edelbrock.

My Car Domain Spot
www.niksweb.com :evil

Offline 77CVT

• Fuel Injected
    • www.autobabes.com.au
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2004, 11:26:37 AM »
I just siamesed and port matched my '85 intake.  A cheaper way to do it and will flow just as good!

Offline johnny86convert

• Four Barrel
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2004, 10:36:13 PM »
thanks  gang  ,keep  the  options  coming;)

Offline Vette Obsessed

• Supercharged
    • http://www.nswcorvettes.com.au
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2004, 04:30:22 PM »
JH, IMO the "best" intake for you would depend on several factors (mainly application & budget in this case).  

If you just want to tweak what you have without getting into cams and headwork I would either siamese the intake like Chris has or buy an aftermarket intake/runner combo.

I haven't looked into siamesing too much but I read a while (maybe a year ago when people started experimenting with it) that you had to be careful about how it was done so you didn't get airflow into the wrong cylinder when you didn't want it.  Having said that, I imagine that has been sorted out and info on how to do it best would be readily available now.

If you are considering just porting your original intake (rather than siamesing it) I would look very carefully at the cost difference between an aftermarket casting and the amount of labour you might be paying for the porting work.

From memory, if you decide to go with an aftermarket base, figure at least $400US for an aftermarket lower intake and around $300 - 400US for aftermarket "big tube" runners.

From what I have seen, the aftermarket setups definitely have more flow potential than ported stock castings.  I don't know how an aftermarket base would compare with a siamesed base though...  

Hope this helps.
"Life's tough.  It's tougher when you're stupid"

Offline smackc4

• Two Barrel
    • www.australiancorvettes.com
  • Mood: Good :-)
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2005, 12:49:00 PM »
Lot cheaper to DIY
1985 C4
1980 Custom C3

Offline Vette Obsessed

• Supercharged
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2005, 05:02:04 PM »
Originally posted by smackc4
Lot cheaper to DIY

True, but the aftermarket pieces will flow more air.  Depends on what your hp goals are.

MJ355

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2005, 05:06:12 PM »
and u know they are going to bolt straight on with a lot less hassle then DIY

Offline 87Z51

• Four Barrel
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2005, 06:01:08 PM »
"and u know they are going to bolt straight on with a lot less hassle "

Ask VO how "easy" the SR is to fit!

Offline White88

• Four Barrel
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2005, 09:35:43 PM »
Has anybody looked at SLP runners, they are larger in diameter and come siamesed from the factory , don't now how good they are and there price is competitive.

Offline Slingray

• Two Barrel
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2006, 10:08:47 AM »
Can anyone recommend a good intake/EFI system for replacing the Cross-fire on an 1984?

Many thanks!

Offline BOSCHVETTE

• Tri Powered
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2006, 03:11:53 PM »
what is your budget?
New toy about to breath life and we will have a strangle hold on the leadfoot forever 850hp 1150kg Australian sports sedan series here we come.
Z06 sports sedan about to be semi retired.
Old C4 weapon now retired to the garage
450 RWHP WITH MORE TORQUE THAN MUNDINE
BUT IT LOOKS LIKE YOU HAVE BOUGHT A BAG OF ROCKS TO A GUN FIGHT.....

Offline 87Z51

• Four Barrel
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2006, 11:05:24 PM »
You don't want 3.5s with a TPI in any form , 3.07s are the best combo for street / strip.The TPI with the mods you are looking at will not rev high enough to make use of the gears.All you will get is wheelspin without DRs.
TPIs make torque ,getting the power to the ground is hard  enough stock.
Ask VO why his car  goes 13mph faster in the quarter than mine  but only .1 sec faster ET.sh#t loads more Hp but no traction and he has good tyres.
Get the headers ,forget the TB upgrade until you get into cams , but a cam can really wake a L98 up.Get a Hi flow cat and some decent mufflers.
Mine ;ZZ4 cam , saimised base , stock runners ,plenum and TB , headers,Hi flow cat.13.1 / 102 in full street trim on street tyres, WHEN I get traction.

Offline BOSCHVETTE

• Tri Powered
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2006, 07:22:06 AM »
lt1 conversion using a speed density system of a vn/vp commodore for the computer is the way i would go
New toy about to breath life and we will have a strangle hold on the leadfoot forever 850hp 1150kg Australian sports sedan series here we come.
Z06 sports sedan about to be semi retired.
Old C4 weapon now retired to the garage
450 RWHP WITH MORE TORQUE THAN MUNDINE
BUT IT LOOKS LIKE YOU HAVE BOUGHT A BAG OF ROCKS TO A GUN FIGHT.....

Offline Vette Obsessed

• Supercharged
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2006, 05:07:25 PM »
Originally posted by 87Z51
You don't want 3.5s with a TPI in any form , 3.07s are the best combo for street / strip.The TPI with the mods you are looking at will not rev high enough to make use of the gears.All you will get is wheelspin without DRs.
TPIs make torque ,getting the power to the ground is hard  enough stock.
Ask VO why his car  goes 13mph faster in the quarter than mine  but only .1 sec faster ET.sh#t loads more Hp but no traction and he has good tyres.
Get the headers ,forget the TB upgrade until you get into cams , but a cam can really wake a L98 up.Get a Hi flow cat and some decent mufflers.
Mine ;ZZ4 cam , saimised base , stock runners ,plenum and TB , headers,Hi flow cat.13.1 / 102 in full street trim on street tyres, WHEN I get traction.

Not wanting to negate 87Z51's point as I agree with him 100%, I do have to state part of my issue with my ET being what it is is also clutch slip (not just from launch).  Just mentioning that so that people are aware that while I agree that traction is a big issue it is not my only issue accounting for the ET/MPH difference in the example provided.  For what its worth my (non expert) estimate is that my clutch is costing me at 2-3 tenths of a second as a realistic minimum.

Clutch should finally be coming out soon so I will provide news when I have it. ;27  

I definitely agree with 87Z51's mod suggestions for a quick TPI on a reasonable budget.  Unless you are running 2.59's or 2.73's I wouldn't think about a diff ratio change for the reasons stated by 87Z51.

Offline 77CVT

• Fuel Injected
    • www.autobabes.com.au
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2006, 02:52:52 PM »

That is a quick time!  Mine has 212/218 cam, ported heads, port matched intake, siamesed runners, headers, no cat, dual exh and I can only manage 13.6.  traction down low is nil if launched over idle.

Offline Vette Obsessed

• Supercharged
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2006, 05:07:29 PM »
Originally posted by 77CVT

That is a quick time!  Mine has 212/218 cam, ported heads, port matched intake, siamesed runners, headers, no cat, dual exh and I can only manage 13.6.  traction down low is nil if launched over idle.

Further reinforcing the point of the traction issues these L98's have as it is...

Offline Thunder Kiss

• Four Barrel
    • http://photobucket.com/albums/v290/ThunderKiss/
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2006, 07:53:58 PM »
Originally posted by Vette Obsessed
Further reinforcing the point of the traction issues these L98's have as it is...

Anyone having traction problems should try a set (or pair) of these Yokohama A032R tyres.  I have a set fitted to my 16" wheels and, unless cold, it's very difficult to break traction.

Here's a picture of them fitted to my car. Photo

Offline 87Z51

• Four Barrel
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2006, 04:15:26 PM »
" traction down low is nil if launched over idle."
My best 60ft times (1.84 on Falkens) have all been off idle launches.
Hold 800rpm on the line , floor it on the last yellow and flash the convertor (2200 stall ).Seems to dig in better.
However due to good 60ft times have destroyed new poly bush rear in 50 runs.Load on bottom camber arms when rear squats puts alot  of strain on the bushes which will now fall out in your hand whereas they were a snug push in when new.
NB.For unknown reasons Falkens hook up better when hard.Used to run 20 -24 psi @1.90 - 1.95,
One night forgot to let air out and run best 60ft with 32psi of the strreet.Go figure