Author Topic: 1978 pace car  (Read 7242 times)

Offline darren lilly

• Two Barrel
  • I'm new here
1978 pace car
« on: January 21, 2014, 02:43:02 PM »
G'day can anyone estimate what the value of a 78 pace car should be for a RHD L48 auto. Thanks Darren

Offline bfit

• Don't talk of dust and roses
  • Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
  • Mood: Honey reinforced
  • Car: Yes
Re: 1978 pace car
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 03:17:35 PM »
Darren
 that is a very broad question, 
that has a lot of variables that need to be evaluated
are you a buyer or a seller
vehicle condition
is it a project  or a going concern
what state is it in.  Buying out of NSW can cost you when it comes to registering it.

mate is a mine field and ever car needs to be appraised against your requirements ( if you are a buyer )

Try to get along to some club events talk to people with similar vehicles and get some first hand info

Bfit
I have seen too many instances where people continue to pursue wrong courses of action because they do not take the time to think critically about what has happened in the past.’’
Winston Churchill

Offline Miss Independent

• Tri Powered
  • Mood: Girls just wanna have fun
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014, 04:20:55 PM »
As Bfit said there are a lot of variables that need to be evaluated. Cars of that vintage can now be imported and registered LHD so depends what the buyer is after .

Heres the NADA site you might like to have a look at for values. This is USD.

http://www.nadaguides.com/Classic-Cars/1978/Chevrolet

****Don't let someone else dim your light simply because it's shining in their eyes***

Offline Jethro

• Camo's nemesis
  • Supercharged
  • The Lone Ranger
  • Car: 1969 Corvette Roadster
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2014, 04:34:38 PM »
Thanks 4 that Trace :thumb:

jethro

Offline Miss Independent

• Tri Powered
  • Mood: Girls just wanna have fun
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2014, 04:41:24 PM »
No worries. :bouncesmile:

Darren as you can probably see on carsales.com there are a number of them listed ranging in value from 19,000 through to 30,000 once again depending on variables. Do your research ,look around and you will get to know the value. Theres a wealth of knowledge on the web and if you are a buyer make sure you readthis article first.

http://nswcorvettes.com.au/forum/index.php/topic,9492.0.html

One of the best articles that i found and posted for our members while doing some research.  :thumb:
****Don't let someone else dim your light simply because it's shining in their eyes***

Offline darren lilly

• Two Barrel
  • I'm new here
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2014, 12:34:51 PM »
Thanks for the replies, I have been looking on the carpoint website there are a couple on there but only the 1 RHD which I would need. It was previously r registered in Qld but I want NSW rego & I think it has a broken windscreen. It is priced at $30,000. I live at Nelson Bay so I might get the opportunity to speak to some of the members when you do the club run to here in February. Thanks Darren

Offline 69VETTE

• Supercharged
  • When a C3 is not Enough! - Try A C4
  • Mood: Get Jiggy Wit It
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2014, 01:24:04 PM »

Hello Darren, unfortunately as the bulk of imported cars into Australia is either from Qld or SA, and the rest in WA, you have to physically travel to view, then buy, transport to NSW, possibly engineer (sometimes but not always) and register vehicle.

There is an upside to this in that where some won't, then they will have to pay a premium for local cars. Don't be discouraged, as this may work to you're advantage. I'm proof of that.

Michael
Live life to the fullest...drive a Corvette

Offline StephenSLR

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2014, 02:00:27 PM »
It was previously registered in Qld

They currently have tougher seat belt laws than here in NSW so if it was registered under the L02 regs, it's probably ready to be registered in NSW; provided it hasn't been modified and will pass a pink slip inspection.

s

Offline 69VETTE

• Supercharged
  • When a C3 is not Enough! - Try A C4
  • Mood: Get Jiggy Wit It
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2014, 02:32:29 PM »
Hello StephenSLR, that ain't entirely true. Many engineers here don't want to even know a vehicle from QLD with an Lo2 plate. . personally if your going to bring in a vette from another state, contact a reputable & RTA certified engineer here and ask about the changes that might be required.

I had brought in a 69 vette from QLD some seven years ago and didn't have dramas, but things have changed in the past few years.
Live life to the fullest...drive a Corvette

Offline StephenSLR

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2014, 02:41:22 PM »
Many engineers here don't want to even know a vehicle from QLD with an Lo2 plate

Every engineer will still want to go over it in their own way, regardless.  From what I've read, the L02 regs are tougher than ours, for instance the rear seats require lap-sash belts where lap belts will do in NSW.

. . personally if your going to bring in a vette from another state, contact a reputable & RTA certified engineer here and ask about the changes that might be required.

Most definitely! 
Do let them know it was previously registered in QLD, there's less paperwork involved than a direct import.

I had brought in a 69 vette from QLD some seven years ago and didn't have dramas

Well, there you go, lol.

s

Offline sirfixalot

• Fuel Injected
  • Committee Member & Tech Adviser C3-C4
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2014, 09:51:55 PM »
Cars that have been converted in other states the engineering report may not be recognised in NSW & car may have to be inspected & new engineers certificate issued by NSW Signatory Engineer could entail pulling bits off car for inspection of mounting for steering box, column etc. Contact RTA technical services for clarification of what is required,note who you spoke to & when

Offline darren lilly

• Two Barrel
  • I'm new here
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2014, 08:34:31 PM »
The car I am looking at has LO1 & LS2 mod codes, do these cover NSW? & does anyone know if there is a way to check for correct mileage as it shows 54000 miles but maybe around the clock once or twice, would be surprised if correct for a vehicle that is 36 years old. Thanks again Darren

Offline StephenSLR

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2014, 07:20:44 AM »
The car I am looking at has LO1 & LS2 mod codes, do these cover NSW?
It doesn't exactly work like that.  You'll still have to go for a blue slip inspection though I imagine you won't have much issue unless there's been some recent modifications.

it shows 54000 miles but maybe around the clock once or twice, would be surprised if correct for a vehicle that is 36 years old.

It may not even be the original instrument cluster or it could've been broken or disconnected during it's life; speedo cables have been known to snap, so there's no way to guarantee 'correct' mileage but you can look for clues:

http://nswcorvettes.com.au/forum/index.php?topic=9492.0

s

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
  • The rocket sled in Steel Blue.
  • Mood: Electrofied.
  • Car: C3 78 + C4 87 + C4 90
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2014, 12:14:13 PM »
Guys.
I notice some conversation on Speedo readings - to tell if genuine remove the instr cluster and look carefully at the back where the odometer is - if there is a small plastic tab missing then it has been doctored - if all in tact - then it is genuine. I have not done one for a while - but from memory you should be able to see without full disconnection - I seem to remember that the speedo cable can be  cow to get back in place. Any way sorry to diverse.
Regards.
Vettech
🖕 Vettech.