Author Topic: RHD conversion renewal  (Read 11015 times)

Offline tyrefryer

• Two Barrel
    • http://www.funnycar.com.au
RHD conversion renewal
« on: June 25, 2006, 10:47:56 PM »
Looking at renewing my RHD so it is only Steering box placement....plenty to choose from ford early box inside rail/ outside rail...rack and pinion...cresida box   and prob more what is the best angle? Big block auto 73 appreciate the feedback

Offline Cameron 77C3

• Supercharged
  • I use to live here
    • http://xtremecarzone.com.au/
RHD conversion renewal
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2006, 11:16:37 PM »
So is your beast now LHD and your changing it to RHD or are you re-doing your RHD?

Cam
To see my picture galleryCLICK ME

Never underestimate PRISCILLA queen of the vette's
www.xcz.com.au

Offline tyrefryer

• Two Barrel
    • http://www.funnycar.com.au
RHD conversion renewal
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2006, 08:28:37 AM »
RHD and was NSW rego but I want  later steerin....car is body off restore

Offline 69 DIRTY RAT

• Supercharged
    • http://www.ratpackmuscle.com/
RHD conversion renewal
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2006, 11:53:45 PM »
Cam has RHD Rack & Pinion!
http://ratpackmuscle.com/ SCARY TOUGH MUSCLECARS

69 540ci, 755HP 734FtLb RAT, 629rwhp

*I LUV MY '69 ZL-1 540ci VETTE, AND SO DOES YOUR GIRLFRIEND!                   

Offline bradmart

• Two Barrel
RHD conversion renewal
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2006, 08:07:40 PM »
Tyrefryer - what parts were you using before? Original? Why changing?

Anyone explain disadvantages of using original parts in a conversion? Contrary to a previous post, the conversion on the car I'm looking into was done in 1981 when the car was imported using original parts only according to engineers certificate.

Offline Chromie

• Tri Powered
    • www.corvette.net.au
RHD conversion renewal
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2006, 08:27:36 PM »
Best steering box is a cressida
Rack and pimion has various faults main two are reduced lock and rattle in universal joints which can also be felt as a free play issue in steering wheel.
Ford steering boxes are too bulky
Original steering boxes put on the outside of the chassis rail again reduce the lock it also means that you are running power ram type steering which also has problems.
When using cressida or any steering box for that matter make sure the steering system is designed to do the job not just thrown in and hope for the best.
B/B require precise positioning for a perfect reliable steering system which does not require repositioning of the engine.
And that is my two cents worth.;41

Offline JP

• Four Barrel
RHD conversion renewal
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2006, 09:42:09 PM »
I was told if you are doing a big block conversion use a cresida box as they are a smaller than the ford box. I have a small block so I have used a XD/XE box with XY drag link. the drag link bolts straight in, and the box has to be cut into therail and the rail reinforced. I still only have 1/4" clearance from the exhaust. so on a   B/B you would definatly need a smaller box . Setting it up I found taking measurments and making jigs before you pull anything apart. then do the mod using the jigs and measurements it works out.
Sorry but the pic dont show much, I have more if you would like.
Are you doing a body off?
good luck
James
[IMG=461x346]http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c364/JRP2376/000_0170.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG=520x342]http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c364/JRP2376/09615ffe.jpg[/IMG]

Offline jolinari

• Supercharged
RHD conversion renewal
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2006, 12:15:25 AM »
Originally posted by Chromie
Best steering box is a cressida
Rack and pimion has various faults main two are reduced lock and rattle in universal joints which can also be felt as a free play issue in steering wheel.
Ford steering boxes are too bulky
Original steering boxes put on the outside of the chassis rail again reduce the lock it also means that you are running power ram type steering which also has problems.
When using cressida or any steering box for that matter make sure the steering system is designed to do the job not just thrown in and hope for the best.
B/B require precise positioning for a perfect reliable steering system which does not require repositioning of the engine.
And that is my two cents worth.;41

if you ever want change the box from xf falcon to the cressida, would it be considered a big job? how long does it take to u to do it?

Offline Chromie

• Tri Powered
    • www.corvette.net.au
RHD conversion renewal
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2006, 10:22:42 AM »
The install a cresida steering box and set up drag link and idler arm for a big block takes 10 days of intense work (with engine bay already bare)
Ford steering boxes are really not suited for Corvettes
reasons are:-
1/ too bulky
2/ Steering coupling design (too riged)
3/ Ford steering boxes have free play problems
4/ Ford steering boxes leak oil easily
A Cressida steering box is far more reliable than a Ford steering box
 Take note a steering conversion should only be done by a expert with experience in this area as this is the beginning of a good conversion or another very bad one.

Offline Cameron 77C3

• Supercharged
  • I use to live here
    • http://xtremecarzone.com.au/
RHD conversion renewal
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2006, 12:07:35 PM »
The install a cresida steering box and set up drag link and idler arm for a big block takes 10 days of intense work (with engine bay already bare)
1/ too bulky
 Take note a steering conversion should only be done by a expert with experience in this area as this is the beginning of a good conversion or another very bad one.

Chromie, Joes question I think stems from, "what if you have a small block,  the conversion is already done and car has been on the road for some time, but would like to get rid of the ford box and replace with Cressida box.  Roughly how much dollars?"

Cam
To see my picture galleryCLICK ME

Never underestimate PRISCILLA queen of the vette's
www.xcz.com.au

Offline jolinari

• Supercharged
RHD conversion renewal
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2006, 12:22:21 PM »
Originally posted by Cameron 77C3
1/ too bulky

Chromie, Joes question I think stems from, "what if you have a small block,  the conversion is already done and car has been on the road for some time, but would like to get rid of the ford box and replace with Cressida box.  Roughly how much dollars?"

Cam

sorry did not explain it properly...;51 what u said Cam that is what i meant!
;42

Offline Chromie

• Tri Powered
    • www.corvette.net.au
RHD conversion renewal
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2006, 01:27:24 PM »
Ok ok ok ok ok ;--
I recommend a cressida steering box on all C3's and most C2's
I also recommend the "Big Block" type steering set up on both small blocks as well as big blocks.
Why? you ask!
Simple if you do this it will mean easy axcess to your spark plugs. You will be able to get to your spark plugs from up top with a ratchet and socket even with extractors. Naturally the same goes for big blocks.
Price is from $3,950.00 + G.S.T. plus parts to $4,250.00 + G.S.T. plus parts for "steering only set up
Only possible complication is steering column alignment to steering box which would not be known until steering box is fitted. Steering column reposition would be done at additional cost.
Steering coupling angle between steering box abd steering coulmn should be zero to a maximum of 10 degrees
Exhaust should be at least 1" (25mm) away from steering coupling minimum
Hope thie helps:v

Offline Chromie

• Tri Powered
    • www.corvette.net.au
RHD conversion renewal
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2006, 02:33:39 PM »
jolinari
I see that from your pictures of your corvette that you are doing a mirror conversion. Mainly the right hand side of the friewall you are extending it out to mount the brake booster like the factory did on the left side.
If this is so I recommend that you do not do this
Reasons:-
1/ not necessary
2/ puts brake booster in such a way that it can fouls on the engine (especially big blocks)
3/ early A/C compressors will not fit
4/ makes pedal positioning difficult
5/ creates problems with original hood latches.
As for the left side of the firewall simple make it flat as you have (but leave the hood latch section still in tact.
Put a custom made A/C case under the original hood latch and make sure the your heater hoses come out at the bottom of the A/C case not at the top because it will foul on the hood latch.;35

Offline jolinari

• Supercharged
RHD conversion renewal
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2006, 02:35:07 PM »
jolinari
I see that from your pictures of your corvette that you are doing a mirror conversion. Mainly the right hand side of the friewall you are extending it out to mount the brake booster like the factory did on the left side.
If this is so I recommend that you do not do this
Reasons:-
1/ not necessary
2/ puts brake booster in such a way that it can fouls on the engine (especially big blocks)
3/ early A/C compressors will not fit
4/ makes pedal positioning difficult
5/ creates problems with original hood latches.
As for the left side of the firewall simple make it flat as you have (but leave the hood latch section still in tact.
Put a custom made A/C case under the original hood latch and make sure the your heater hoses come out at the bottom of the A/C case not at the top because it will foul on the hood latch.;35

u mean JP hey

Offline Chromie

• Tri Powered
    • www.corvette.net.au
RHD conversion renewal
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2006, 03:05:53 PM »
Whoops:pinki sorry  jolinari
yes I meant JP;42

Offline MADLT1

• Supercharged
RHD conversion renewal
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2006, 03:32:02 PM »
what model & years are the cresida boxs out off,to be compatible for c3s?

Offline Chromie

• Tri Powered
    • www.corvette.net.au
RHD conversion renewal
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2006, 05:15:46 PM »
1970-80 cressida steering box model is MX32
Steering coupling and pitman arm are off different models as the cressida one's are not suitable.

Offline MADLT1

• Supercharged
RHD conversion renewal
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2006, 05:22:18 PM »
thanks.i got a mate with a tow truck company,i will ask him to keep me one next time he picks up that model,allways handy to have spares......;46;35;46;35

Offline Chromie

• Tri Powered
    • www.corvette.net.au
RHD conversion renewal
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2006, 05:24:20 PM »
True "murphy's law" states when you have spares you never need them;46