Author Topic: Sterring wheel for C4  (Read 4335 times)

Offline jimbob

• Two Barrel
  • Great car, great club, great friends, great times
Sterring wheel for C4
« on: December 04, 2015, 08:53:37 AM »
Hi everyone

I have a 1986 convertable with the standard original thin steering wheel.  I want to fit a later model thicker style wheel.  Is it possible to do/ Which ones would be sutiable?

Jimbob

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
  • The rocket sled in Steel Blue.
  • Mood: Electrofied.
  • Car: C3 78 + C4 87 + C4 90
Re: Sterring wheel for C4
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2015, 09:09:54 AM »
There are plenty of cars in the club with odd S/wheels, I'm sure if you get it off and take it to a retailer they will fix you up with something you like. You need a little "wheel puller", be carefull of the horn connection, and of course your new S/wheel will need to accomodate the horn, and some after market gear does not do a good job in this area. Good luck.
🖕 Vettech.

Offline sirfixalot

• Fuel Injected
  • Committee Member & Tech Adviser C3-C4
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2015, 09:37:31 AM »
The problem you will have is to make the tele function work on the column the shaft protrudes a long way thru the wheel . You will have to make a spacer to go  above wheel to mount aftermarket horn button.I used a 90mm stormwater cap & covered in black vinyl on my 78. The other problem I had was I had to redrill wheel to allow boss to be in correct position to cancell blinkers & have wheel in correct position when wheels straight.Not as simple as unbolt one & replace with a new one

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
  • The rocket sled in Steel Blue.
  • Mood: Electrofied.
  • Car: C3 78 + C4 87 + C4 90
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2015, 05:22:09 PM »
Many moons ago, and I'm not sure if still available, but you could buy a kit of leather wrap, to re-wrap or just go over the existing wheel. These were good on the old THIN ek,eh etc Holden steering wheels, and made the wheel a much thicker, chunkier wheel easier to grip, with less sweatier slip.
🖕 Vettech.