Author Topic: New Member Introduction  (Read 11723 times)

Offline StephenSLR

• Fuel Injected
Re: New Member Introduction
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2013, 09:39:30 AM »
You don’t want some one running in to your rear, because they don’t get the American system on brake and indicator system.

They will allow red blinkers but I really don't get how someone can hit you in the rear, if you're blinking they're more likely to notice a brake light than a blinker light.

My guess is they weren't concentrating, on their phone, etc. and use it as an excuse to try to claim it wasn't their fault.

s

Offline bfit

• Don't talk of dust and roses
  • Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
  • Mood: Honey reinforced
  • Car: Yes
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2013, 10:04:32 AM »
They will allow red blinkers but I really don't get how someone can hit you in the rear, if you're blinking they're more likely to notice a brake light than a blinker light.

My guess is they weren't concentrating, on their phone, etc. and use it as an excuse to try to claim it wasn't their fault.

s

take into consideration that a high percentage of colour blindness  involves the red spectrum
and when it is combined with the back ground colour  of the car it may not be seen at all
depending of various condition.
It may suit most of us who are keen on American vehicles to leave them as imported .
Then there are quite a few Australians who don't give a ___T what we think
Then  the government steps in and sets the standard.
Bfit
I have seen too many instances where people continue to pursue wrong courses of action because they do not take the time to think critically about what has happened in the past.’’
Winston Churchill

Offline StephenSLR

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2013, 10:19:56 AM »
take into consideration that a high percentage of colour blindness involves the red spectrum

True and most colourblind people have trouble differentiating between red and green.

Do you know how they overcome this with traffic lights?

Next time you look at a set of lights you will notice a tinge of yellow has been added to the red, the one in this pic is almost orange.

Orange lights are basically yellow.

They also did the same with green lights, look closely and you'll see a tinge of blue has been added to the green.

Thus colourblind people are actually spotting the differences between orange, yellow and blue.

Not sure if it was done back in the 60's and 70's but I suspect today's brake lights would be the same.

Even still, a flashing light whether orange or red would still be visible from behind.

s

Offline bfit

• Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2013, 10:50:40 AM »
Yes mate that is correct
the problem with  traffic lights is  compounded by the black background
it was found in the 60s that children were having problem seeing  red and green on black boards
the combinations caused the problem.
and now those  finding  are being applied in our cars etc
Bfit
I have seen too many instances where people continue to pursue wrong courses of action because they do not take the time to think critically about what has happened in the past.’’
Winston Churchill

Offline StephenSLR

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2013, 11:08:50 AM »
it was found in the 60s that children were having problem seeing red and green on black boards

Ah, so that's why they're green these days, easier on the eyes.

I also recall my high school back in the late 80's was doing all their printing on light green sheets instead of white, they said it was more relaxing for the students.

s

Offline bfit

• Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2013, 11:36:13 AM »
Mate I cant comment on that one
I was out of high! school in the 60s
I actually enjoyed  those school days
every day was a challenge to see just what you could do the irritate   the teachers
Bfit
Winston Churchill

Offline sabre

• Tri Powered
  • C4 Rocks but Excalibur Cruises
  • Mood: How good is retirement!
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2013, 09:31:16 PM »
 Back to the original topic......... Great ride Scott. Hope you can come to an arrangement so we get to see that beautiful C3 up close soon. Naturally as a member you are always welcome to join us in the 'shopping trolley'.

Regarding colour blindness and traffic lights. The conversation is steeped in ignorance and BS. First hand knowledge. :grr: :laugh:

Offline Slingray

• Two Barrel
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2013, 11:24:54 PM »
Thanks all for making me feel very welcome. At present I am looking at preparing the car for full registration and evaluating the work required to pass the 1972 ADR requirements.

The car has held Club rego in Victoria and as such it hasn't had any compliance work done to it thus far. From my research I've compiled the following list of modifications required to compliance a C3 in NSW, you may be able to comment on some of these items, your experience is greatly appreciated.

Here's my list:

I'm going to perform a rear tail light re-wire, swapping the reverse lights for amber blinkers and re-wiring accordingly. I will then fit a small LED strip light above the license plate and wire it up to acts as a reverse light.

I believe I need to fit different low beam lenses so that they dip to the left.

I believe I also need to fit additional turn signals to the front end. Do you know if this is normally performed by installing small additional lights and housings into the front bumper or is there a better method?

I also believe I will need to swap the seat belts for ADR complianced belts.

Offline bfit

• Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2013, 08:19:39 AM »
Seat belts talk to Geoff  ( sirfixalot this forum )
On the front low beam lens  change
And a white clearance / park light . You can fit it behind the grill or in the original indicator lens with a divider so you have amber and white in the on lens ( that will keep the original look )

The back is as you indicated, will give a good result
You can fit extra light to the original reversing lens   To keep that original look on the rear
Bfit 
Winston Churchill