Author Topic: This Day In Automotive History: The First Drive-In Movie Opens  (Read 2676 times)

Offline Camo

• Jethro is my nemesis
  • Administrator
  • Supercharged
  • Joe Pappas Missile Builder
  • Car: 77. 355 ci 400hp
From the pages of http://www.streetlegaltv.com/

On this day in 1933, the Park-In theaters on Crescent Boulevard in Camden, New Jersey opened to motorists. According to the website, http://www.driveintheater.com/history/1930.htm, the movie showing that night was “Wife Beware.”

The term “drive-in” actually came later. Inventor Richard Hollingshead came up with the idea when his mother had difficulty sitting comfortably in traditional movie theater seats. Hollingshead’s idea of an open air theater where people could watch movies from their cars would be more comfortable.

Experiments using his driveway, a projection screen and some basic sound techniques resulted in Hollingshead designing the ideal spacing arrangement for a number of cars to have a full view of the screen.

The first drive-in theater. Photo from www.cinematreasures.org
Richard Hollingshead applied and received a patent for his concept in May of 1933 and immediately opened Park-In Theaters, Inc.

Less than a month later, Hollingshead opened for the first show charging 25 cents per car and 25 cents per person, with no group paying more than one dollar.

The idea caught on, and after Hollingshead’s patent was overturned in 1949, drive-in theaters began popping up all over the country. One of the largest was the All-Weather Drive-In of Copiague, New York, which featured parking space for 2,500 cars, a kid’s playground and a full service restaurant, all on a 28-acre lot.

Throughout the years drive-ins became known for showing primarily B-movies. Some theaters showed the same movies that played in regular theaters, but in large part, Hollywood’s best movies were saved for the indoors.

The popularity of the drive-in movies reached its pinnacle in the 1950s to the mid 1960s with over 5,000 theaters across the country. Real estate prices and the growing number of walk-in movie theaters have caused a massive decline in the drive-in industry. There are less than 500 drive-in theaters that still survive in the entire country.
Time, The Predator That Stalks Us All

Black is not a colour, it's a life style

Offline gtc

• Supercharged
  • Car: 1970 454 Manual
Re: This Day In Automotive History: The First Drive-In Movie Opens
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2013, 12:01:55 AM »
Real estate prices and the growing number of walk-in movie theaters have caused a massive decline in the drive-in industry.

Daylight saving didn't help them either.

It's not all bad news in the USA:

http://www.nbcnews.com/video/nightly-news/48784821#48784821
It's C3 chromie for me, see? Si!

Offline MY081

• I'm here. Woo Hoo! :)
  • Fuel Injected
  • Pleb
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2013, 06:39:38 PM »
One word VIDEO !!

Offline gtc

• Supercharged
  • Car: 1970 454 Manual
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2013, 07:03:54 PM »
One word VIDEO !!

Long before that: Television.

The beauty of Drive-Ins was that parents could take the kids in their PJs and not have to find a baby sitter if they wanted to get out of the house to see a current movie. As often as not kids would fall asleep in the back seat.

The Club run to Blacktown Drive-In a while back was a fun night. Even though there's a DA on the site, the show goes on. We should arrange another run come springtime. (Girl on the gate said they offer discounts to car clubs.)
It's C3 chromie for me, see? Si!

Offline 77CVT

• Fuel Injected
    • www.autobabes.com.au
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2013, 10:13:54 AM »
I have great memories of the drive-in......both as a kid and a young adult.   :smilegrin: 

I remember the line up to get in used to be over a kilometer long!  They even used to show R rated movies sometimes.....which would have made some parents living next door a little annoyed.

We have 2 left in Qld.  We went a few months ago in the ute, mattress in the back, pillows, blankets and of course, the mandatory hip flask.   :cheesy: