Author Topic: American Racing Wheels  (Read 19560 times)

Offline 70vette

• Four Barrel
American Racing Wheels
« on: April 26, 2013, 01:12:06 PM »
Hi Everyone!

I haven't been on here in quite a while due to family, house and work commitment but I have a problem that has frustrated me :banghead: with no end in sight. :grr: Hope someone can help or offer some guidance....

I have tried to purchase some 15" American racing Torque Thrust D rims for my 1970 Coupe with stock suspension but after two sets of rims beem sent down from the distributor (in Queensland I believe) nothing seems to fit. I don't want to fit spacers to get them to fit.

I am of the belief that there are 2 versions of the Torque Thrust D one with straight edge spokes at the back of the wheel and a set with a curved spoke, both with the same part no VN105. The latter being the ones that fit a C3 corvette. The supplier dosen't believe so but even on the AR website there are two wheels with the same No. Even when perusing some of the forums overseas , there are guys that say that they don't fit and others that will show you a picture of there car an say yep no problem they will.

If someone has had experience with this issue and could offer some guidance it will be greatly appreciated.

Losers always try their best. Winners get the girl.

Offline bfit

• Don't talk of dust and roses
  • Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
  • Mood: Honey reinforced
  • Car: Yes
Re: American Racing Wheels
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 03:08:27 PM »
Contact the OEM directly, and ask the question
what i understand is that  one is for drum brake models and the other  for Disc brake models
Research this number VN105D

BFit
I have seen too many instances where people continue to pursue wrong courses of action because they do not take the time to think critically about what has happened in the past.’’
Winston Churchill

Offline 70vette

• Four Barrel
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2013, 12:16:11 AM »
Thanks for the reply Bfit.

I have sent an email to the American Racing to get there opinion but I think the problem stems from the supplier here in Oz sending out, both times the wrong dimensioned rims.

I asked for a VN105, 15"x8"x 4" backspace and got a VN105, 15"X8.5"x4.25 backspace and a VN405, 15"x 8"x4.5 backspace and told they would fit :huh:
I think my dimensions are correct :shades:

If any one thinks otherwise please let me know :hi:

Offline Matt G

• Four Barrel
  • Car: 1970 Coupe 350 manual.
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2013, 03:07:38 PM »
Is it only the back wheels that don't fit?  You can get the offset rear trailing arms for your '70, so your problem may be that they fit on a vehicle with the offset trailing arms and won't fit yours (without the offset trailing arms).  I've got a '70 that I will change wheels on in the future, however I don't have the offset trailing arms so I will also need to be careful in selecting future options.  May not be the problem, but worth a check...

Offline craigh

• Four Barrel
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2013, 06:17:35 PM »
Thanks for the reply Bfit.

I have sent an email to the American Racing to get there opinion but I think the problem stems from the supplier here in Oz sending out, both times the wrong dimensioned rims.

I asked for a VN105, 15"x8"x 4" backspace and got a VN105, 15"X8.5"x4.25 backspace and a VN405, 15"x 8"x4.5 backspace and told they would fit :huh:
I think my dimensions are correct :shades:

If any one thinks otherwise please let me know :hi:

Your dimensions are correct.

If you want 8" wide rims you need 4" backspace to get hem to sit as per original.

4.25" or 4.5" will sit further inward than stock and possibly touch the handbrake cable bracket.

The other Thing to consider is the look, they Will look like they are sitting wrong in my view.

Offline wabco40

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2013, 06:40:52 PM »
Is it only the back wheels that don't fit?  You can get the offset rear trailing arms for your '70, so your problem may be that they fit on a vehicle with the offset trailing arms and won't fit yours (without the offset trailing arms).  I've got a '70 that I will change wheels on in the future, however I don't have the offset trailing arms so I will also need to be careful in selecting future options.  May not be the problem, but worth a check...

The problem is mainly the spoke of the rim hitting the caliper. If the rim has straight spokes at the rear this will hit the caliper. If the spokes are curved at the rear they clear.
As Craig said the standard backspace on a 8" wide rim is 4". Offset trailing arms are not required with this size rim.

Offline 70vette

• Four Barrel
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2013, 08:34:10 PM »
Thanks again for the responses guys.

I tried a VN105 rim with curved spokes (Eagle Beak Shape) on the rear with a 4.25" back space and the spokes hit the caliper not to mention the edge of the rim hitting the hand brake bracket. Then tried a Torque Thrust 2 rim with a 4.5" back space and that also hit the the caliper. These were rims that were sent down from Queensland by the supplier and told that they would fit.
My wheel and tyre guy is so frustrated :banghead: its not funny. he now has 2 sets of American Racing rims sitting in his showroom.... If anybody is interested let me know and i will put you in contact with him. They definitely will fit other Chev cars.

There seems to be some conjecture as to how to measure the back space on a rim. I was always taught to lay a straight edge across the rim and measure to the mounting base. The supplier of the rims says to measure from the bead of the rim to the mounting base. This I feel can have as much as 1/4" variance depending on the rim and I believe that is were the problem lies.... If someone can verify this or has the correct method of measurement that would help when talking to the supplier in Queensland.

I have sent an email to American Racing to see what they suggest and am waiting for a reply. Someone must have an idea on what size fits :huh: If and when I get an answer I will post on here.

Offline bfit

• Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2013, 08:57:03 PM »
Mate I have alway measured BS  like you back of rim to mounting surface
My OEM rims  range from 4" to 4.5" BS. Depending or year models
But that has nothing to do with calipers clearance

Some of the boyd Coddington wheel look similar To what your looking or , might be worth a look at
BFit
I have seen too many instances where people continue to pursue wrong courses of action because they do not take the time to think critically about what has happened in the past.’’
Winston Churchill

Offline MADVET

• Tri Powered
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2013, 09:13:21 PM »
You are correct in the way back space is measured. A straight edge across the back of the wheel to the mounting face. The wheel width is however measured from the bead seat.

Have a close look at the points at which back spacing is measured compared to wheel width.

http://www.rimsntires.com/specs.jsp
NOW WE'RE TORQUING!

Offline wabco40

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2013, 10:10:26 PM »
Thanks again for the responses guys.

I tried a VN105 rim with curved spokes (Eagle Beak Shape) on the rear with a 4.25" back space and the spokes hit the caliper not to mention the edge of the rim hitting the hand brake bracket. Then tried a Torque Thrust 2 rim with a 4.5" back space and that also hit the the caliper. These were rims that were sent down from Queensland by the supplier and told that they would fit.
My wheel and tyre guy is so frustrated :banghead: its not funny. he now has 2 sets of American Racing rims sitting in his showroom.... If anybody is interested let me know and i will put you in contact with him. They definitely will fit other Chev cars.

There seems to be some conjecture as to how to measure the back space on a rim. I was always taught to lay a straight edge across the rim and measure to the mounting base. The supplier of the rims says to measure from the bead of the rim to the mounting base. This I feel can have as much as 1/4" variance depending on the rim and I believe that is were the problem lies.... If someone can verify this or has the correct method of measurement that would help when talking to the supplier in Queensland.

I have sent an email to American Racing to see what they suggest and am waiting for a reply. Someone must have an idea on what size fits :huh: If and when I get an answer I will post on here.

Its strange that the Torque Thrust 2 rims are hitting the caliper. The backspace has nothing to do with the spokes hitting the caliper. I have heard of Torque Thrust D hitting the caliper and require a spacer to clear.
I have 15x8, 17x8 and 18x9.5 Torque Thrust 2 rims and all clear the standard calipers. This is the reason so many people use the TT2 rims on C3 Vettes
Pictures below are of 15x8 and 17x8 TT2 rims. The calipers a Wilwood D8s but are the same size as standard.

Can you post pictures of the rims and your calipers.

Offline 70vette

• Four Barrel
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2013, 10:51:32 PM »
Yeah I thought that was the correct way to measure the back space. I don't know what the supplier is talking about????

I have owned my car since 1993 and brought it into the country.  I did a semi restore on it and it is standard in the suspension and brakes apart from the composite rear spring and gas shocks, which have no relevance to fitting of the rims. It currently has 8" rally rims on it at the moment with 255x60x15 tyres.

Wabco40 do your rims miss the calipers by much??? What size are they???
The rims that we tried on the car were Vn105 Torque Thrust D and VN405 Torque Thrust 2

Like I said in my first post; when you peruse the forums overseas there seems to be conflicting reports on what fits without spacers and what doesn't.  :what:
There seems to be no clear answer when you look at the forums. There will be a picture of someones car and the comment that they fit no problem and on another post someone will say that they need spacers :nono:

Offline bfit

• Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2013, 11:31:19 PM »
You are correct in the way back space is measured. A straight edge across the back of the wheel to the mounting face. The wheel width is however measured from the bead seat.

Have a close look at the points at which back spacing is measured compared to wheel width.

http://www.rimsntires.com/specs.jsp[/url

That is the best competitor on the web.
So usefull .
Winston Churchill

Offline wabco40

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2013, 05:54:31 AM »
Wabco40 do your rims miss the calipers by much??? What size are they???
The rims that we tried on the car were Vn105 Torque Thrust D and VN405 Torque Thrust 2

Like I said in my first post; when you peruse the forums overseas there seems to be conflicting reports on what fits without spacers and what doesn't.  :what:
There seems to be no clear answer when you look at the forums. There will be a picture of someones car and the comment that they fit no problem and on another post someone will say that they need spacers :nono:

[/quote]

The previous pictures are Custom Torque Thrust 11 VN405 15x8 (4"bs) and 17x8 (4"bs), I also have 18x9.5 (5.25"bs).
All clear the caliper by at least 3/8".
Before purchasing these rims I did a lot of research on US forums to make sure everything fitted ok. I have never heard of anyone having caliper clearance problems using the TT2 rim.

Offline 70vette

• Four Barrel
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2013, 01:30:04 PM »
Thanks for the calculator MADVET that works a treat

"I have never heard of anyone having caliper clearance problems using the TT2 rim":
They don't fit if some fool sends the wrong rims and then tells you they fit. Because he is the supplier and you think you are dealing with a person with knowledge you end up frustrated.....  :grr:

The Torque Thrust2 is not my first preference, that would be the Torque Thrust D, VN105 and from what I can acetain is that this rim doesn't come with a 4" back space but a 3.75" or 3.5" back space and 8.5" width this I think may push the wheel to far out and with the 255x60x15 tyres it may be to far out....anybody know anyone with these rims on??

Offline wabco40

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2013, 03:41:21 PM »
Thanks for the calculator MADVET that works a treat

"I have never heard of anyone having caliper clearance problems using the TT2 rim":
They don't fit if some fool sends the wrong rims and then tells you they fit. Because he is the supplier and you think you are dealing with a person with knowledge you end up frustrated.....  :grr:

The Torque Thrust2 is not my first preference, that would be the Torque Thrust D, VN105 and from what I can acetain is that this rim doesn't come with a 4" back space but a 3.75" or 3.5" back space and 8.5" width this I think may push the wheel to far out and with the 255x60x15 tyres it may be to far out....anybody know anyone with these rims on??

So what are you saying, your supplier didn't send TT2's but said they where?

My TT2's are a two piece rim and I had them weld in the centers to the backspace I required. They are also available as a one piece rim with set offsets and backspaces.

I think the TTD is only available as a one piece rim so you could only use off the shelf sizes. American Racings website have the TTD listed in 15x8 with a 0mm offset. This would put the backspace at 4", right where you want to be. Even if the rim measures 8.5" wide including the lip of the rim then 0mm offset would still only be 4.25" backspace.

As for caliper clearance with the TTD rim it looks like one of the VN105 d Torq Thrust D has curved spokes at the rear and the other straight. Might be best to deal with American Racing direct instead of your supplier.

Offline 70vette

• Four Barrel
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2013, 11:59:07 PM »
So what are you saying, your supplier didn't send TT2's but said they where?

My TT2's are a two piece rim and I had them weld in the centers to the backspace I required. They are also available as a one piece rim with set offsets and backspaces.

I think the TTD is only available as a one piece rim so you could only use off the shelf sizes. American Racings website have the TTD listed in 15x8 with a 0mm offset. This would put the backspace at 4", right where you want to be. Even if the rim measures 8.5" wide including the lip of the rim then 0mm offset would still only be 4.25" backspace.

As for caliper clearance with the TTD rim it looks like one of the VN105 d Torq Thrust D has curved spokes at the rear and the other straight. Might be best to deal with American Racing direct instead of your supplier.

No he sent the TT2's but with a 4.5" back space and the VN105's in the wrong size.  :thumbdown:
Pain in the butt when you have to drive about 1 hour to the wheel shop and then find out they don't fit..... Twice!!!! :notfair:

Anyway, I just got an email back from American Racing and they suggest a 16" in the VN105. If that's the case I may go to a 17" TT2 rim like yours wabco40.
I sent a reply back asking about the two VN105 rims (Grey & Black) what the difference is and a couple of other questions about fitment.

I will let you know what they come back with.

It looks like if i have to go to a different size rim then I may have some 255x60x15 tyres to offload, not 10 klm's old.

Offline 70vette

• Four Barrel
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2013, 10:36:42 PM »
Got a reply from American Racing today.

The two wheels on their website with part no VN105 are both the same rim just offered in different finishes. "Just an optical illusion" they say.
If I want to fit the vn105 rim the 15" is not a suggested fit for a C3 corvette. As in my previous post I have to go to a 16"
Any thing less than a 4" backspace in a VN105 the wheel may protrude past the bodywork with the 255x60x15 tyres.
If I want to go larger than 16",  I have to go the Torque Thrust 2 VN405 or a VNCL205 2 piece rim which is essentially the same rim as the VN405 just with painted spokes to mimic the old stye rims.

This is starting to sound expensive :huh: I'm trying not to buy another set of tyres. :grr:

Any suggestions, willing to listen :feedback:

Offline wabco40

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2013, 07:51:56 AM »
Got a reply from American Racing today.

The two wheels on their website with part no VN105 are both the same rim just offered in different finishes. "Just an optical illusion" they say.
If I want to fit the vn105 rim the 15" is not a suggested fit for a C3 corvette. As in my previous post I have to go to a 16"
Any thing less than a 4" backspace in a VN105 the wheel may protrude past the bodywork with the 255x60x15 tyres.
If I want to go larger than 16",  I have to go the Torque Thrust 2 VN405 or a VNCL205 2 piece rim which is essentially the same rim as the VN405 just with painted spokes to mimic the old stye rims.

This is starting to sound expensive :huh: I'm trying not to buy another set of tyres. :grr:

Any suggestions, willing to listen :feedback:

The first picture I posted and the one below are a TT2 15 x 8, 2 piece rim with 4" bs. Its the same size a the standard 15x 8 rally. The tyre is a 255x60x15. They fit good and its the wheel/tyre combination I used to get the car licenced.

If American Racing can do the TT2 with painted spokes then that may be the way to go. At least you know they will fit and you could use your tyres.

I also have a 17x8 and 18x9.5 TT2's fitted with Nitto NT555 tyres. I purchased these from a US dealer for less then 2 grand and had them shipped out with Fedex. I saved about $1500 on what I was quoted by an Australian supplier and would have saved quite a bit more if I had them shipped in a container.
I will probably get hammered down for not buying local but once you know what size and style rim your after it dosn't hurt to get prices from US suppliers.

Offline 70vette

• Four Barrel
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2013, 10:09:03 AM »

The first picture I posted and the one below are a TT2 15 x 8, 2 piece rim with 4" bs. Its the same size a the standard 15x 8 rally. The tyre is a 255x60x15. They fit good and its the wheel/tyre combination I used to get the car licenced.

If American Racing can do the TT2 with painted spokes then that may be the way to go. At least you know they will fit and you could use your tyres.

I also have a 17x8 and 18x9.5 TT2's fitted with Nitto NT555 tyres. I purchased these from a US dealer for less then 2 grand and had them shipped out with Fedex. I saved about $1500 on what I was quoted by an Australian supplier and would have saved quite a bit more if I had them shipped in a container.
I will probably get hammered down for not buying local but once you know what size and style rim your after it dosn't hurt to get prices from US suppliers.

After looking at the picture of your car I think you may have helped me make my mind up.
Might get a quote for the 17" wheels and tyres but I think the 15" Torque Thrust 2 might be the goseeing that I already have the tyres.
The TT2 rim with the painted spokes has P/No VNCL205 im not sure how available it is here.
Judging by the dramas the supplier has put us through it's probably not that available. :coocoo:

I wouldn't worry to much aout buying overseas, it is a world economy these days and if they want your business they should adjust there prices accordingly. I saved nearly 50% on the price of some parts that I tried to purchase here in NSW off a number of outlets but purchased the same parts retail from the US at a greatly reduced price, even with the shipping added. The saving amounted to app $1300. The saving was a lot more when the exchange rate was applied. Better in my pocket than in somebody else.

Just one more question wabco40, how hard are they to keep clean and polished?

Thanks for the input guys. :cheers:
I'll let you know how I get on.

Offline wabco40

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2013, 11:08:56 AM »

Just one more question wabco40, how hard are they to keep clean and polished?

Thanks for the input guys. :cheers:
I'll let you know how I get on.

I just wash and use Mothers aluminum polish on them and they look as good as new  :thumb: