Author Topic: Gearbox leak  (Read 6272 times)

Offline 72C3

• Two Barrel
Gearbox leak
« on: November 08, 2012, 10:27:28 AM »
Hi all, Got my local mechanic to have a look over my car the other day and he was fairly impressed.  I have just imported it from the states.  He did find the following which needs to be addressed. "Needs to have the tailshaft removed and the gearbox extension housing removed to replace the bush and seal. The diff pinion seal to be replaced at the same time.  Gearbox is an Alloy Saginaw"  He has no experience with a 72 but is willing to do it if I can't find anyone. He suggested I ask the guys in the club.Can anyone recommend someone that can do a good job without charging an arm and a leg.  I live in the Richmond Windsor area.  Murray suggested APS in Richmond but I would like to get a few quotes before committing.
Thanks
Stu

Offline bfit

• Don't talk of dust and roses
  • Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
  • Mood: Honey reinforced
  • Car: Yes
Re: Gearbox leak
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 10:43:46 AM »
Mate does the car  get a vibration at high speed
If it does not  I would just replace the rear seal in the gear box.
that can be done with out taking the box out.
But first check to see how much radial play there is in the rear bush

I would think the box would be a Muncie not a saginaw
Bfit
I have seen too many instances where people continue to pursue wrong courses of action because they do not take the time to think critically about what has happened in the past.’’
Winston Churchill

Offline MY081

• I'm here. Woo Hoo! :)
  • Fuel Injected
  • Pleb
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 02:17:51 PM »
Hi Stu I also would think the gearbox would be a close ratio Muncie RON MISSON in inglburn is great with chevys its a long trip for u but he will look after u and your vette he built the Channel 9 Comaro and a couple of mustle car marsters Comaros and doesnt charge an arm and a leg good luck ! :drivedevil:

Offline anychevy

• Four Barrel
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 02:20:22 PM »
"Edited by 72vVET"

The rear seal is just pressed in on a Muncie and (as above) can be done with just the tailshaft out.
I know a good diff guy in Hornsby, he fixed mine, but I pulled it out myself (not easy)
http://www.hotfrog.com.au/Companies/Langs-Differentials
What bush needs replacing ?

Offline MY081

• Fuel Injected
  • Pleb
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2012, 03:47:31 PM »
HI stu had look at your vette while it was at Rons looks great and very original nice buy hope you were happy with his work!

Offline 72C3

• Two Barrel
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2012, 10:12:36 PM »
Ray, more than happy with Rons work and very reasonable pricing.  Sure does know what he is talking about.  Definitely worth the drive from Windsor to Ingleburn to get the car fixed.  Glad you like my car.  Would really like to get out more but my shift roster does not allow me to get out as much as I would like.  Might catch up with you at Tuesdays Barby.

Stu

Offline MY081

• Fuel Injected
  • Pleb
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2012, 09:10:10 AM »
It would be great if u could make it to the barby. Im glad Ron looked after u there isnt mutch he dosent know about CHEVS and he is as honest as they come.