Author Topic: Importing C3  (Read 19338 times)

Offline 72C3

• Two Barrel
Importing C3
« on: July 29, 2012, 11:09:57 AM »
Hi everyone, I have just joined the club and I am importing a 72 T Top from the states.  It is about to be loaded on the ship in New York. It will be offloaded in Port Botany.  I am after info from members who have recently gone through this process.  I am aware that certain things have to be done prior to registration (thanks to geoff eaton for your insight) but I first need to get the car from Port to my home in the Windsor area.  Any recommendations or advice regarding transportation?????? Heaps mor equestions to follow.

Offline bfit

• Don't talk of dust and roses
  • Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
  • Mood: Honey reinforced
  • Car: Yes
Importing C3
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 04:12:02 PM »
Mate who is shipping it for you or are you doing all the paper work.
It's a little late but a 72  could have been manufactured in 71
If it was, I would have nominated it as a 71 model
You will find out why , when you start the rego  process.

Now getting it home .
Is it drivable, if yes
Do you know any one who has  a trade plate  
Other than that I would go with a tilt tray .
One thing you should know is it can take a all day to get any thing of the docks
So allow your self lots of time .

Bfit
I have seen too many instances where people continue to pursue wrong courses of action because they do not take the time to think critically about what has happened in the past.’’
Winston Churchill

Offline 72C3

• Two Barrel
Importing C3
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2012, 04:44:45 PM »
I am using a shipping company in the states and have got a customs broker looking after everything at this end.  It is a 72 but manufactured in Nov 71. It is in top condition and is driveable. Don't know anyone with a trade plate unfortunately.  Guess I will have to get a tilt tray.

Offline gtc

• Supercharged
  • Car: 1970 454 Manual
Importing C3
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2012, 05:50:27 PM »
Club member Tony operates a towing business. Give him a call on 9759 0299.
It's C3 chromie for me, see? Si!

Offline 72vet

• Supercharged
Importing C3
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2012, 06:14:45 PM »

Tony's moved my car around more than once.

CLICK ME to see my albums.

Offline bfit

• Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
Importing C3
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2012, 07:33:47 PM »
72C3
Have  you been informed of at what point you take responsibility or the shipping .
The the broker should be able to and should

Inform you of the fees and charges that apply at our end
Besides GST.

now if the car was manufactured in 1971 November
I personally would in all references   name the year of manufacture as 1971.

ADRs  start in earnest in 1972.
Before 72 all you need is a blue slip
After doing the indicators
Head lights
seat belts.
And may be tyres
Bfit
I have seen too many instances where people continue to pursue wrong courses of action because they do not take the time to think critically about what has happened in the past.’’
Winston Churchill

Offline c5vette

• Four Barrel
    • www.mrpinball.com.au
Importing C3
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2012, 08:11:06 PM »
Quote from: 72C3 link=topic=9317.msg1045943305#msg1045943305
Hi everyone, I have just joined the club and I am importing a 72 T Top from the states.  It is about to be loaded on the ship in New York. It will be offloaded in Port Botany.  I am after info from members who have recently gone through this process.  I am aware that certain things have to be done prior to registration (thanks to geoff eaton for your insight) but I first need to get the car from Port to my home in the Windsor area.  Any recommendations or advice regarding transportation?????? Heaps mor equestions to follow.

Dont forget the import approval, your guy won't be able to help you with that
2020 C8 Z51 Sebring Orange Stingray, Launch Edition

Offline bfit

• Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
Importing C3
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2012, 08:26:25 PM »
You should have import approval before  the vehicle leaves the US
If you don't have import approval
PM me  
An email addy and I will  send you the link to down load the paper work .
Bfit
Winston Churchill

Offline 72C3

• Two Barrel
Importing C3
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2012, 09:37:16 PM »
Thanks for the number of the guy in the club regarding the tow truck.  I will give him a ring.  As for the importapproval, I didn't sjip the car until I got the approval, so I think we are good in that respect.  The tip regarding the manufacture date was also appreciated.  72 model but manufactured in November 71.
Does anyone do Blinkers that work as per the registration requirement but look like the originals.  

Offline bfit

• Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
Importing C3
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2012, 10:53:26 PM »
That's not hard if you have basic electrical skills.
You can attack it you self.
Or
Talk to Geoff  ( sirfixalot ) on forum.
Bfit
Winston Churchill

Offline reserved

• Four Barrel
Importing C3
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2012, 01:11:53 AM »
The registration requirement for blinkers, that is ADR #6 did not come into force until Jan 1973.

:beer:

Offline 72C3

• Two Barrel
Importing C3
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2012, 03:52:44 AM »
I would like to keep the car original as possible and if I do not have to change the blinkers I won't.  I probably need to have a good read of the requirements.  Is there an online copy available.  

Offline Benandsally

• Two Barrel
Importing C3
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2012, 07:56:14 AM »
Hi 72C3,

I imported my 71 without any trouble at all and had it delivered to my door.
1. Car must be stock
2. All paper work must be completed before leaving US.
3. Do not have to change
brake lights
Seat belts
4. Must change headlights around. This can be achieved by turning them upside down
Good luck   :drag:

Offline Scott

• Tri Powered
  • Shed Dweller
Importing C3
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2012, 08:06:50 AM »
Quote from: Benandsally link=topic=9317.msg1045943330#msg1045943330
4. Must change headlights around. This can be achieved by turning them upside down

I'm not sure who told you this, but it's not the case.  Low beam would just blind on-coming traffic.

Offline bfit

• Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
Importing C3
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2012, 09:24:33 AM »
when it comes to it
there are ADRs and state regulations etc etc.
and things and changing .

Also there is a lot of  wrong info out there.

mate come along to the meeting next Tuesday
introduce your self.
there will me many people who will be only to ready to pass on info  to assist you
Bfit

Winston Churchill

Offline StephenSLR

• Fuel Injected
Importing C3
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2012, 12:45:16 PM »
You can tow it straight to SMS Performance in Padstow, they do blue slips. If the car is stock you may get away with no changes apart from the headlights and Chris may even have some in stock.

The headlights have to dip to the left instead of right.

I shipped with Schumacher in the US and paid them, then this is what I got from Freightnet Sydney, it's who Schumacher had sent it to and I had to pay Freightnet separately.

It's the charges on this side of the process not including the GST.

The size of a motor vehicle is approx 14cbm.

IMPORT SEAFREIGHT/MOTOR VEHICLE IMPORT
DESCRIPTION    CHARGES
Formal Clearance    AUD 135.00
Port Service Charge    AUD 65.00/cbm x 14 = $910.00
Terminal Handling Charge AUD 20.00/cbm x 14 = $280.00
Quarantine entry AUD 139.00/entry
Quarantine attendance AUD 35.00
Quarantine inspection    AUD 75.00 per inspection
Security Surcharge   AUD 10.00
Delivery Order   AUD 65.00
Post & Pettis   AUD 5.00
Cargo Automation/CMR   AUD 40.00
Steam Clean AUD 225.00 per vehicle / AUD 175.00 per motor cycle

NOTES   
1. Excludes any additional disbursements paid on your behalf
2. All charges are COD
3. Excludes duties & GST payable to customs
4. All above charges exclude GST

All adds up to $1919.00 and depends on how many steam cleans you may need to pass.

Different companies will have different rates/terminology for the above, next time I may just go with another shipper as they were a bit expensive - two companies (Schumacher/Freightnet) means you pay two sets of overheads.

Customs GST is 10% of CIF (cost of car + insurance you paid on car + freight cost to Aus. port)

s

Offline bfit

• Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
Importing C3
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2012, 01:27:39 PM »
that last post  sounds about rite for all the  BS  it take to get  a car into australia.

I use Mainfright ( kiwi shipping in the US )
they charge about $3500.00A
California  to east coast Australia.
vehicle is shipped in a container with 4 to a container.
On our end  the cost are about $1800.00 including GST
 depending of your invoice costs for car and insurance.
Now if they  have do   more than one steam cleaning  the costs climb.
Bfit

Winston Churchill

Offline sirfixalot

• Fuel Injected
  • Committee Member & Tech Adviser C3-C4
Importing C3
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2012, 09:13:09 AM »
Even though you may not have to change the blinker function for ADR requirements the original set up the blinker is washed out if brake lite or parkers are on during the day
It is in your best interest to alter blinker lites to orange so that the 17 year old P plater texting behind you  associates that when they see an orange lite you are going to turn or change lanes. Average person doesnt associate flashing red lites with changing direction
I spoke to a guy last week with a mustang with original lites was turning into his driveway & got hit from behind
Was on a club run couple of weeks ago behind a 63 he was turning left & must of had his foot on/ off brake left lites were blinking & right lites were flashing also & I knew what was happening

Offline StephenSLR

• Fuel Injected
Importing C3
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2012, 10:55:02 AM »
Quote from: Bfit link=topic=9317.msg1045943337#msg1045943337

I use Mainfright ( kiwi shipping in the US ) they charge about $3500.00A California  to east coast Australia.  vehicle is shipped in a container with 4 to a container.

If you bring in 4 cars you can get it down to $2,800 per car

At the time I decided to ring around to compare prices. Schumacher charge $1,550 for shipping and charged me $250 to de-gas the air-con.   Mainfreight they say it costs $100 to degas in L.A. and they add $25 to get it done at their facility so getting back to Schumacher I asked how they justify $250 for a de-gas, they told me they have their own set price and I knew of it beforehand. True, I knew of it ... after I was locked in and paid them for shipping and it's not like I can get someone else to do it while it's in their hands. They were however kind enough to throw in a free clean of the car (it was covered in dirt when it arrived) and to waive a second online transaction fee since they billed me later for the de-gas. I also insured through Schumacher at 2.25% of market value, some shipping companies include insurance in their price for total loss or up to a certain value so it's definitely worth shopping around for the best deal.

Freightnet's price seemed high, they get charged per container and then charge each car owner a rate per cubic metre, after a bit of negotiating they gave me some relief on their cubic metre rate and the final price was $1,712. Add to this $200 for AQIS steam cleaning, at the docks I could still see light dirt in the engine bay and grille so I don't know if they really cleaned it but I wasn't going to point that out to them and get hit up for another clean.

I had a good chat with Lee Amour at Mainfreight, they bought out Kiwi shipping and acquired a large depot in L.A., it's run by an Aussie and they ship to Sydney Brisbane and Melbourne every 2 weeks. They charge around $3,000 all up for shipping so I could've saved a few hundred going with them and it may have arrived a little sooner. Mainfreight did mention the first 3 weeks storage in L.A. is free then they charge by the week for additional storage, Schumacher didn't charge for storage in L.A. If you go with Mainfreight and the car is held up in L.A. it could be a case of, 'what you lose on the swings you make on the roundabouts' when compared to Schumacher.

One hiccough, the owner of the car had the wrong VIN on the cert. of title. I could've kept hush and let it sail with the wrong VIN but I didn't want to risk it so alerted Schumacher. Matt (Shermatt) in his wisdom applies for another import approval with correct VIN, it arrived in the meantime and didn't affect the wait (afaik) as the car was already booked to sail. Schumacher charged $200 to get the title corrected.

Lee (Mainfreight) said that price sounds right and Schumacher did the right thing to wait for approval, if you send a car over and the approval isn't ready when it lands, you'll get charged like a wounded bull for storage in Aus. till it's approved.

I've seen some US car dealer ads where they claim they can ship a car to Aus. and quote a cheap price but it's only the shipping price from US port to Aus. port, add to this any trucking fees to the port and what they also don't tell you (as you can see above) is you have to pay at least that much again at an Aus. port to unload, so keep that in mind.

s

Offline anychevy

• Four Barrel
Importing C3
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2012, 05:49:37 PM »
I used Mick and I'll use him again.
http://usmusclecars.com.au/Ads/CarDetail.aspx?id=1525
$3300 inc. insurance, LA to SYD  
I'm very happy with his service, not a scratch, on time and no extra BULL $HIT charges :rolleyes: