Author Topic: "IMPORTANT INFORMATION" for Enthusiasts and Old parts Retailers in Australia.  (Read 2223 times)

Offline Camo

• Jethro is my nemesis
  • Administrator
  • Supercharged
  • Joe Pappas Missile Builder
  • Car: 77. 355 ci 400hp
Just in by Deb........

Have you purchased Older car parts overseas ? Of Course you have !!

Well our trusty Green Empowered Labor Govt are at it again .... in TAX mode !!

Basically there are Tariff concessions in place for components/parts being imported for cars older than 30 years of age in Australia.

The government is now going to be dropping this concession and replacing it with the standard new auto parts tariff of 5-15% on top of the GST we pay on the parts when we buy them from our older parts retailers here already.

I am sure you can understand that even a 5% increase on these parts would put all of us at an even greater disadvantage then we already are as Enthusiasts and the retailers that sell or buy older autoparts.

FACT is that this will raise next to nothing in revenue for this Idiotic Govt who clearly wish to drive our older cars off the roads AND the small businesses we support daily to the wall ... by increasing our costs again & again.
I'm sure the likes of Timic's Hotrod Supplies or All American Autoparts etc or any other small business operator who imports old parts will be thrilled to bits to hear this news.

Here is the link to the Govt Gazette - Page 12 & 13 is the Parts list that is targeted for the Tariff Tax.

http://www.customs.gov.au/webdata/resources/files/GAZETTETC12-16Dated18April2012.pdf

Here are the contacts to OBJECT to it in writing etc - tarcon@customs.gov.au, fax 02 6275 6376 or telephone 02 6275 6041

Please make all objections constructive and don't be an idiot.

Spread the Word to everyone you know in Enthusiasts circles.
Time, The Predator That Stalks Us All

Black is not a colour, it's a life style

Offline bfit

• Don't talk of dust and roses
  • Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
  • Mood: Honey reinforced
  • Car: Yes
I have not  the attached  paper work .
I find it hard to accept that the government will be changing the free trade agreement that is in place with the US any time  in the near future .

This agreement only applies to products manufactured in the US
It is wise when buying in the US to ask your supplier  to identify
US manufactured goods on their commercial invoice and supply the  free trade agreement  decoration .
It is imperative to get paper work correct.
It does not pay to get into a confrontation with customs  
The fees and fines will not impress any importer.
In our business we had a consignment miss directed into Melbourne
 Instead of Sydney .
It took 9 weeks to sort out including 3 weeks when no one knew where it was.
And to top it of we were charged 6 weeks storage .
They will not miss you when it comes to collecting money.
Bfit
I have seen too many instances where people continue to pursue wrong courses of action because they do not take the time to think critically about what has happened in the past.’’
Winston Churchill