Author Topic: C3 TAIL LIGHTS  (Read 7754 times)

Offline MADVET

• Tri Powered
C3 TAIL LIGHTS
« on: March 22, 2012, 07:33:01 PM »
I had to take my recently aquired 81 Corvette over the pits to transfer the rego over locally. Apparently if your car has a mod plate, which mine has for such things as seat belts, lights etc it must go over the pits the first time.

It failed on a few things one of which were the rear indicators. My indicators are basically the reverse lights rewired as indicators and then amber globes fitted to them, a very common mod for Corvettes.

The reason they failed was because the light emitted from the amber globe was not intense enough and light was coming through the red reflector emiting a red light.

Now as my Vette was built after 1972 i can only have amber as the indicator.

Rather than stuff around trying to block the light from going through the red reflector i figured that i would just buy amber indicators for it.
Well through all my searches i found that there are plenty of amber light kits for the C4, C5 and C6 but apparently nobody makes an amber tail light kit for the C3!
So i took one of the lights down to the local auto electrical parts suppliers and found some LEDs that were only 3mm larger in diameter.
I had them fitted up and needless to say it passed with flying colours.(pun intented:grin:)

BTW the reverse lights are the row of clear LEDs at the top of the number plate recess.
NOW WE'RE TORQUING!

Offline anychevy

• Four Barrel
C3 TAIL LIGHTS
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 08:10:19 PM »
Quote from: MADVET link=topic=9107.msg1045942300#msg1045942300

My indicators are basically the reverse lights rewired as indicators and then amber globes fitted to them, a very common mod for Corvettes.

The reason they failed was because the light emitted from the amber globe was not intense enough and light was coming through the red reflector emiting a red light.

BTW the reverse lights are the row of clear LEDs at the top of the number plate recess.

I'm surprised they failed you on that :banner: who was the inspector, so we know who not to go to ?
But the LEDs look great and the reverse light is a nice touch.

Offline sirfixalot

• Fuel Injected
  • Committee Member & Tech Adviser C3-C4
C3 TAIL LIGHTS
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 09:33:24 PM »
I replaced the outer part of lense using square orange truck lenses & drilled a large hole thru middle. I then used a 50mm sewer pvc coupling which fits neatly into original reverse lite, cut to length,painted it black so lite wouldnt bleed thru/ I had to cut away all the original red outer lense then grind orange lense to size. I used 5w globes around perimiter  for blinker & refitted the original stainless rings to lite. All parts were glued using roof & gutter clear silastic. A lot of stuffing around but looks the part

Offline MADVET

• Tri Powered
C3 TAIL LIGHTS
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2012, 06:57:38 AM »
Quote from: anychevy link=topic=9107.msg1045942301#msg1045942301

I'm surprised they failed you on that :banner: who was the inspector, so we know who not to go to ?
But the LEDs look great and the reverse light is a nice touch.

I had originally taken the car to my local inspector however he informed me that because the car was fitted with a modification plate, irrespective of how minor the mods are it had to go over the motor registry's pits.
My regular inspector might not have been so critical about it however the pits are strictly by the book. In the end i was happy with the result.:drink:
NOW WE'RE TORQUING!

Offline anychevy

• Four Barrel
C3 TAIL LIGHTS
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2012, 09:05:39 AM »
Quote from: MADVET link=topic=9107.msg1045942303#msg1045942303

My regular inspector might not have been so critical about it however the pits are strictly by the book. In the end i was happy with the result.:drink:

Oh yeah, it looks good, just wondering what state you're in ? I know the RTA can be tough :grr:

Offline Scott

• Tri Powered
  • Shed Dweller
C3 TAIL LIGHTS
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2012, 09:18:44 AM »
I'm glad your reverse light was acceptable.  I've already had the compliance guy look at mine and convinced him it would be fine.  I like the brakes/indicators though.  What brand and model number are they for future reference?  I'm sure it'll help someone out int eh future.