Author Topic: postage from the states  (Read 3086 times)

Offline bootlegger

• Tri Powered
postage from the states
« on: June 26, 2014, 09:35:08 PM »
I want to buy a couple of small parts from the states they roobably fit in the palm of your hand and weigh less than half a kilo.
Ive been quoted $70 for postage. Im pretty sure the seller said usps. Is there a cheaper way. Can you still get surface mail.

Offline bfit

• Don't talk of dust and roses
  • Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
  • Mood: Honey reinforced
  • Car: Yes
Re: postage from the states
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2014, 11:09:06 PM »
The cheapest  way is the. US postal service
If you can get the seller to o to the post office
Bfit
I have seen too many instances where people continue to pursue wrong courses of action because they do not take the time to think critically about what has happened in the past.’’
Winston Churchill

Offline daniel42au

• Four Barrel
    • members.ozemail.com.au/~daniel42au
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2014, 11:46:17 PM »
check out www.usps.com ...   a small package with an expected delivery of 6-10 days is about $25. If you want it sooner then it will cost you up to $80.  This doesn't include the seller's supposed "handling" costs.    For info, if you have bigger weightier items which you are prepared to wait for then consider shipping through an aussie freight company such as California Image.  Pick a company in your local area.

Offline bootlegger

• Tri Powered
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2014, 08:39:27 AM »
I figured I was getting handled.

Offline 72vet

• Supercharged
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2014, 11:50:49 AM »
This doesn't include the seller's supposed "handling" costs.   

Supposed “Handling & Shipping costs” What a joke.
I recently shipped parts in by air from the States; it was well over $1000 so I expected to pay duties on it along with broker’s fees.  :nag:  :nag:
Once the package landed I was contacted by the shipping company to pay an additional $730.00 before I could receive the parts & I’d have to go and pick it up from them.

Upset about the additional cost I contacted the company I purchased the parts from and politely asked them what did the freight charges cover when they billed me for the purchase.
I knew what the answer was going to be regarding the Duties but not the other.

"The duties are not considered part of the shipping cost we bill. We would be able to offer a $95.00 refund, which is our margin on the order, if this will help offset the costs incurred".

Their margin - $95.00  Go figure? The money was refunded back to my account a few days later.

I then went back to the shipping company and told them the payment I made when I purchased the parts was door to door delivery and there should be a free trade document with the parcel.
Next day they contacted me saying someone forgot to tick a box at the other end and now were asking me for $530.00. The parts arrived soon after.
CLICK ME to see my albums.

Offline bfit

• Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2014, 03:15:55 PM »
4FK sake just how many people have there hands in out pocket when you buy over seas
The Government  has a couple of goes at you
duty  GST andan  invoice fee ( or some SHIrT ) and then  the other free loaders as well.

where is it going to stop
Bfit
I have seen too many instances where people continue to pursue wrong courses of action because they do not take the time to think critically about what has happened in the past.’’
Winston Churchill

Offline MY081

• I'm here. Woo Hoo! :)
  • Fuel Injected
  • Pleb
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2014, 03:46:16 PM »
Maybe next time one of us should take an all expences payed US holiday and collect everybodys parts in a cupple of large suit cases and just carry them back (got to be cheeper ) Air fair and 3 days accomidation split 4 to 6 ways Lol

Offline bfit

• Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2014, 04:26:06 PM »
I'm looking fora G34 gen4  Glock,  its about 600 US
and comes in its own  carry case, it will pass as carry on luggage
When you going 
Bfit
Winston Churchill

Offline Jethro

• Camo's nemesis
  • Supercharged
  • The Lone Ranger
  • Car: 1969 Corvette Roadster
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2014, 08:50:12 AM »
Its sometimes seems to me that it al depends on who on customs at our end touches the goods, sometimes things come in with not tax only to find that others items get taxed  :banghead: