Author Topic: Australian DMV: Racing Stripes on your Classic Corvette? No Registration for You!  (Read 5085 times)

Offline Camo

• Jethro is my nemesis
  • Administrator
  • Supercharged
  • Joe Pappas Missile Builder
  • Car: 77. 355 ci 400hp
Just in from your committee.  Sent in to them and it has been made a club run..........

"We encourage all Clubs and cars to possibly gather at a central location on your areas and leave as a group convoy, many clubs and Enthusiasts are doing this in the outer Sydney areas already.

The event is being covered by a number of Media organizations plus Mike from Rodders Life will be covering the event, Pinky will be the Show & Shine MC for the day and the ACMC Inc will be making progress announcements throughout the morning regarding the Official Meeting outcomes !!

On this day you will hear the actual facts so we can move forward as an Enthusiast community in NSW, we are hoping for some favorable announcements from the NSW Roads minister so we can all get back to building our cars and continuing to make modifications in NSW.

Any Further info you need please forward questions to the ACMC Inc Website email address at - secretary@confederationofmotorclubs.org.au "

Time, The Predator That Stalks Us All

Black is not a colour, it's a life style

Offline Debbie

• Two Barrel
[size=-1]Edited 22/02/12 - 72vet[/size][/i]

OK Gang, Lets show our support.  Meeting at Rosenthal Park - Rosenthal st Doonside (That's our Tuesday night BBQ location) @ 7am -  7.15am departure, and head down to Eastern Creek.

Offline Camo

• Jethro is my nemesis
  • Administrator
  • Supercharged
Just giving this a bump up

Offline bfit

• Don't talk of dust and roses
  • Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
  • Mood: Honey reinforced
  • Car: Yes
People  This is something to support
If  for no other reason   than to keep your self informed about  what is going on in Big Brother land.
One must remember that old Rule about politicians.
YOU KNOW

when a politicians  mouth is moving and noise if emitting.

Bfit  
I have seen too many instances where people continue to pursue wrong courses of action because they do not take the time to think critically about what has happened in the past.’’
Winston Churchill

Offline 72vet

• Supercharged

Just some more information regarding the Conference to be held at Eastern Creek on 26th Feb.
This is a conference and discussion between motor sport clubs and associations and government ministers and regulators. They will be discussing the regulations that apply to ALL modified road vehicles.
The convention starts at 9am. Gates open from 7am.

Let’s show our support.  Sunday the 26th Meeting at Rosenthal Park - Rosenthal st Doonside (That's our Tuesday night BBQ location) @ 7am -  7.15am departure, and head down to Eastern Creek.

"We encourage all Clubs and cars to possibly gather at a central location on your areas and leave as a group convoy, many clubs and Enthusiasts are doing this in the outer Sydney areas already.

The event is being covered by a number of Media organizations plus Mike from Rodders Life will be covering the event, Pinky will be the Show & Shine MC for the day and the ACMC Inc will be making progress announcements throughout the morning regarding the Official Meeting outcomes !!

On this day you will hear the actual facts so we can move forward as an Enthusiast community in NSW, we are hoping for some favourable announcements from the NSW Roads minister so we can all get back to building our cars and continuing to make modifications in NSW.

Any Further info you need please forward questions to the ACMC Inc Website email address at - secretary@confederationofmotorclubs.org.au

CLICK ME to see my albums.

Offline VETTENUT

• Fuel Injected
  • Mood: Absolutely fantastic
Even if you have changed the original tyre type or had a brake upgrade, which are basic safety improvements, proposed government changes will affect you!
There are two parts to this event. Firstly you can be a part of the conference with the State Govt Minister and interested parties and authorites; Secondly this is a show of strength from clubs like ours, with a thousand vehicles expected to participate in a show 'n shine.
I will be there and ask for your support.:drag:
Now living the dream in God's country!

Offline Camo

• Jethro is my nemesis
  • Administrator
  • Supercharged
Just in from GTC via http://www.pinky.com.au/NSWFEB2012.htm.........

Offline bfit

• Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
For those of us who have a general interested in modified cars
this will be a good event  to attend .

No matter what  your preference in manufactures  
We need to know where  we stand in relation to  keeping our vehicles safe and legal.

Just what will be need in future.
such as  change the wheels on your car
A minor thing you may think but
May turn in to a major legal problem.

Get involved and put in your point of view

We all need to remember the government works for US.

As a group our opinion Counts
Bfit  
I have seen too many instances where people continue to pursue wrong courses of action because they do not take the time to think critically about what has happened in the past.’’
Winston Churchill

Offline Shane Finn

• Four Barrel
I'll be there.

Do we know yet if we will have allocated areas to gather?
2001 Z06, Torch Red

Offline bfit

• Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
we will be there
Bfit n Missfit
Winston Churchill

Offline VETTENUT

• Fuel Injected
  • Mood: Absolutely fantastic
There's not a lot of clear info out there about parking, so would be best if we travel to Eastern Creek as a club group.

Rather than getting caught up in the crowd of people and cars who plan to meet at the M4 service centre, we have moved our meeting place to Rosenthal Park, Doonside where we have our Tuesday night BBQ's.[/b]

Meeting time is still 07.00am for a 07.15 departure, driving straight to Eastern Creek only a couple of K's away. Refer Debbie's comments above for a map to Rosenthal Park.

If anyone has any questions please contact me and I will do my best to find answers.
Gary
Now living the dream in God's country!

Offline gtc

• Supercharged
  • Car: 1970 454 Manual
Quote from: VETTENUT link=topic=9021.msg1045942072#msg1045942072
Rather than getting caught up in the crowd of people and cars who plan to meet at the M4 service centre, we have moved our meeting place to Rosenthal Park, Doonside where we have our Tuesday night BBQ's.[/b]

Meeting time is still 07.00am for a 07.15 departure, driving straight to Eastern Creek only a couple of K's away. Refer Debbie's comments above for a map to Rosenthal Park.

If anyone has any questions please contact me and I will do my best to find answers.
Gary

Good move, but for the sake of consistency would suggest that all posts in his thread be updated with the new location.
It's C3 chromie for me, see? Si!

Offline Camo

• Jethro is my nemesis
  • Administrator
  • Supercharged
Quote from: gtc link=topic=9021.msg1045942074#msg1045942074
Quote from: VETTENUT link=topic=9021.msg1045942072#msg1045942072

Gary

Good move, but for the sake of consistency would suggest that all posts in his thread be updated with the new location.

Done by Nick and myself :thumb:

Meeting at Rosenthal Park - Rosenthal st Doonside (That's our Tuesday night BBQ location) @ 7am -  7.15am departure, and head down to Eastern Creek.

Offline 72vet

• Supercharged

Offline Camo

• Jethro is my nemesis
  • Administrator
  • Supercharged
Gary asked us to post this.  From http://www.corvetteblogger.com

"How would you like to own a classic Corvette and not be allowed to drive it because of the special way it’s painted?

That’s the problem a South Australia man faces because his 1970 Corvette – once owned by country music star Jeannie C. Riley of “Harper Valley PTA” fame – is decorated with tasteful blue stripes and small stars.

“I took it down to Regency Park to get the roadworthy inspection,” the Corvette owner explained, “and at the end of the day apart from a few minor issues of fixing suspension and things, the main issue is the color of the car is not original as manufactured and that’s the blue stripes on the car.”

According to South Australia regulations covering classic cars more than 30 years old, left-hand drive vehicles have to be in their original state to be registered and driven legally.

“I was more than shocked because I said, but the car is white, I haven’t changed the color of the car – it’s not red, it came from the factory as white. I don’t know what’s got to do with safety,” the Corvette owner said.

But he’ s not the only collector car enthusiast up in arms down under, though.

“They just make things difficult for no reason at all,” says Peter Hannah, whose 1957 Ford Fairlane Retractable was refused a registration because the fan blade is blue and not black. The inspectors also refused to believe that the unusual car was an authentic Ford even when he showed them a bundle of paperwork.

Another classic car buff, Tony Carter, says that some folks have resorted to buying land in neighboring Victoria to get a mailing address so they can register their cars there.

Carter thinks the law is jeopardizing safety rather than enhancing it. “A lot of cars now have got a lot older, and also parts that are available for those cars aren’t always original ones,” he says. “But we aren’t allowed to fix them because (the parts are not) original. I can’t even put disc brakes on this car and make it as a safety upgrade. The argument is, ‘Oh, well, it stopped perfectly well in 1962, it’ll stop perfectly well today.’ Well, traffic conditions are totally different than what they were back in 1962.”

The Corvette owner, meanwhile, has been given limited options, either spend $10,000 to paint the car solid white or spend $15,000 to $20,000 converting it to right-hand drive, both of which he says he can’t afford to do.

“What we’d like to see is a left-hand drive car be treated exactly the same as a right-hand drive,” Carter said, “no discrimination whatsoever.”

The Transport Department, to their credit, says it’s willing to listen to the car clubs and may recommend minor changes in the law.

“I’m speaking on behalf of everybody,” the Corvette owner says, “and I’m hoping with the sun still shining that before winter comes, I can get it registered. I just want to drive my car.”

[youtube]7j9HaVxp8us[/youtube]

Offline Camo

• Jethro is my nemesis
  • Administrator
  • Supercharged
We also just posted this on MOCA after it being sent to us by one of its forum memebrs...

Offline 72vet

• Supercharged
Just in from Gary & Debbie

Click HERE for more

What was the outcome on the day folks,  was it  all :blah: :blah: :blah:

Offline 69 DIRTY RAT

• Supercharged
    • http://www.ratpackmuscle.com/
It ended up being a positive day! The ACMC had been in talks with the Govt. for the past 8 monthes or so and They actually listened! The conference was very professional and Duncun Gay (Min for Trans) was very pleasant. I am hopeless with details but basically the Govt and RTA will now work WITH the ACMC when making policies! so that means no more idiot RTA people telling us whats best for us! It was good to see Duncan Gay actually tell the RTA to pull there heads in (figuratively) and to work with the enthusiest comumity and not against. The ACMC had conducted a company to work out the $$$figures of what our industry brings to the country and to NSW.....NSW mod car industry is worth up to $400million annually and something like 900million nationally and employs thousands of jobs SO they had listen!!!!. I think the ACMC has done a fantastic job.

heres a couple of boring conference shots....

and with Mr Rodders life...

and here with this grovelling man??????

He liked Garrys car because it looked like a VIPER!:ral:

http://ratpackmuscle.com/ SCARY TOUGH MUSCLECARS

69 540ci, 755HP 734FtLb RAT, 629rwhp

*I LUV MY '69 ZL-1 540ci VETTE, AND SO DOES YOUR GIRLFRIEND!                   

Offline 72vet

• Supercharged
Thanks Andy.:thumb:

Gary has sent this in aswell.

‎

ACMC & the Enthusiasts Conference
The ACMC held an Enthusiasts Conference at Eastern Creek on Sunday 26th February where the Minister and the RTA/RMS met with delegates, made a number of announcements and an swered questions.

Following the conference the ACMC issued this statement:

Today’s inaugural Motor Enthusiast Conference was a phenomenal success and we would like to thank all of the conference delegates and car show participants for their enthusiastic contribution.

Over 160 delegates had the opportunity to engage with the Minister and senior members of the RMS whilst outside hundreds of enthusiast cars were on display.

In attendance at the conference were:

Minister for Roads & Ports, Hon Duncan Gay MLC,
Senior Policy Advisor – Mr Andrew Huckel,
Acting Director for Customer and Compliance Services – Mr Peter Wells,
Deputy Director General for Policy and Regulation, Transport NSW –  Mr Tim Reardon,
Principle Manager Roads, Registration and Licencing at Transport for NSW – Mr Terry Hickey
Manager Regulatory Scheme Policy, RMS – Mr Ken Cleary
RMS Vehicle Inspector – Mr Greame Snell,
Street Machine Magazine Editor - Geoff Seddon,
And

NSW Nationals Party Executive and Conference Chairman – Mr Alan Hay

NSW Nationals Senator John Williams also came alone to show his support for the Motor Enthusiast Community.

The key aspects of Minister Gay’s speech included the following announcements:-

Section 55A of the ‘Road Transport (Vehicle Registration) Regulation 2007’ reinstating the relevance of ancillary documents and alternative options to meet compliance.
A respected member of the Motor Enthusiast Community to be appointed  to the Safety Board that reports to the Minister
A new working group is to be formed in order to review outstanding issues pertaining to standards, legislation and implementation and reporting to the Safety Board. The Working Group is to have representation from the Motor Enthusiast Community, Signatories, RMS, Transport for NSW and NSW Police.
The ‘abridged’ break test is not to be mandatory but at the discretion of the Certifier
The ‘abridged’ break test is to be forwarded to the new working group for review; the Minister insists that any resolution must be safe, practical and affordable.
It is not intended that electronic stability control be mandatory on vehicles that do not already have an ESC.
When a dispute arises over the originality of pre ADR components a panel incorporating the Motor Enthusiast Community will be formed to report their findings to the RMS
VSI 50 will be forwarded to the new working group for resolution
VSB14 and VSI 59 will be forwarded to the new working group for resolution
Following 8+ years of stagnation the ‘National Guidelines for Street-Rod Modification & Construction’ will be forwarded to the new working group for resolution
It has been a historic day for the Motor Enthusiast Community and a new proactive relationship has been entered into with the RMS. There is still much work to be done but we are confident that within this new environment of consultation we can achieve our goals.

In recognition of his unparalleled contribution to the Motor Enthusiast Community; Conference Chairman Alan Hay was appointed Patron of the Australian Confederation of Motor Clubs. Congratulations Alan!

The RMS have provided documented answers to the questions submitted which will be available on the ACMC website on Tuesday.

https://sites.google.com/site/no2vsccs/1-the-legal-position/acmc-the-enthusiasts-conference

Offline gtc

• Supercharged
  • Car: 1970 454 Manual
O'Farrell promised to rein in the power of the former RTA. Dunno if RMS is any better. Time will tell.

Meanwhile, here's Gay's speech:

[youtube]kwk9Y-d6RC4[/youtube]
It's C3 chromie for me, see? Si!