Author Topic: 427 Water Pump By Pass  (Read 6174 times)

Offline sirfixalot

• Fuel Injected
  • Committee Member & Tech Adviser C3-C4
427 Water Pump By Pass
« on: January 31, 2012, 08:28:31 PM »
Does anyone know why a big block has a 3/4" hose from waterpump to inlet manifold it effectively by passes water going thru engine

Offline bfit

• Don't talk of dust and roses
  • Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
  • Mood: Honey reinforced
  • Car: Yes
427 Water Pump By Pass
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 11:55:02 AM »
now that is a good question

A guess at this
if we are talking about the hose that come  from the top of the water pump  to  the front of the manifold  under the regulator ( thermostat )

I would think this is part of the by pass system  that allow the engine to heat up   to operation temp before   the regulator  starts to circulate water  through the radiator.

Is there a by pass type regulator in the manifold
Are you having overheating problems

Bfit  

I have seen too many instances where people continue to pursue wrong courses of action because they do not take the time to think critically about what has happened in the past.’’
Winston Churchill

Offline bfit

• Don't talk of dust and roses
  • Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
  • Mood: Honey reinforced
  • Car: Yes
427 Water Pump By Pass
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 02:00:18 PM »

is that  the hose RH middle of photo
Bfit
I have seen too many instances where people continue to pursue wrong courses of action because they do not take the time to think critically about what has happened in the past.’’
Winston Churchill

Offline sirfixalot

• Fuel Injected
  • Committee Member & Tech Adviser C3-C4
427 Water Pump By Pass
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 05:17:58 PM »
Yep thats the little sucker motor overheats so today I have flushed block, radiator, checked impellor in pump all looks good so only thing I can think of is water is taking path of least resistance thru the pipe I have now capped off the 2 holes & drilled a 1/8" hole in thermostat. I have also fabricated block off panels for top & bottom of radiator. I am also going to fit a 7 blade fan in place of the 5 blade on it now.I also found a blob of solder was under seat for radiator cap where the overflow pipe has been previously repaired so coolant pumps straight out as soon as there is any expansion