Author Topic: Front number plates  (Read 8525 times)

Offline StephenSLR

• Fuel Injected
Front number plates
« on: November 28, 2011, 12:29:26 PM »
I notice in some US states it's not compulsory to display a front number plate and some car owners decide to tidy up the front end and remove the bumper bars and plate, their associated hardware and smooth over all the holes, etc.

If I wanted to import such a vehicle would I be exempt from having to display the front plates?

s

Offline bfit

• Don't talk of dust and roses
  • Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
  • Mood: Honey reinforced
  • Car: Yes
Front number plates
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 01:00:47 PM »
AS far as I know IN NSW.
The only time you can display one plate only on a motor vehicle driven on the designated  road
is to use a trade plate.

Bfit

I have seen too many instances where people continue to pursue wrong courses of action because they do not take the time to think critically about what has happened in the past.’’
Winston Churchill

Offline StephenSLR

• Fuel Injected
Front number plates
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 01:13:08 PM »
I've read on another forum that there are exemptions if the vehicle's original design is such that one can't be displayed.

Which covers cars such as Ferraris, Lambos etc. and someone on that forum assumes (after examining the legislation) it has also been found to encompass the SS V special edition with the Pontiac front bumper, due to its design being made for North America where the displaying of a front number plate is not required for the majority of states.

After looking up images I can see plenty of the SS V with Pontiac front ends displaying number plates.

So yeah, I guess if I import a car with all the no. plate attachments and bumpers removed I'll have to replace it all to have it registered here.

NUMBER PLATE EXEMPTION
The Roads & Traffic Authority have advised that they have issued an exemption notice in relation to the display of number plates under the provisions of clause 10 of Sch 2 of the Road Transport (Vehicle Registration) Regulation 2007. This exemption took effect on 1 February 2010. The exemption covers clause 61(2)(c)

The exemption has the following effect.

Clause 61 (2)(c) regarding the display of number plates on a registerable vehicle does NOT apply if:
a) due to the original construction of the vehicle it is not practicable to comply with that subclause; or
b) the number-plate is affixed in a manner that complies so far as practicable with the subclause.

Note that this exemption applies only to the original construction of the vehicle, therefore does not cover vehicles that have been modified irrespective of the modification being approved by an engineering signatory

s

Offline bfit

• Don't talk of dust and roses
  • Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
  • Mood: Honey reinforced
  • Car: Yes
Front number plates
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 02:54:18 PM »
Now that is interesting

Bfit
I have seen too many instances where people continue to pursue wrong courses of action because they do not take the time to think critically about what has happened in the past.’’
Winston Churchill

Offline Jethro

• Camo's nemesis
  • Supercharged
  • The Lone Ranger
  • Car: 1969 Corvette Roadster
Front number plates
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 06:02:19 PM »
"NUMBER PLATE EXEMPTION" best of luck with that in NSW:drunk::drunk::drunk::drunk::drunk:

Offline 87droptop

• Four Barrel
  • Mood: Always good !!
Front number plates
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2011, 11:56:46 PM »
Hi,
I got rid of my front plate on the C4, UNTIL Igot pulled over especially for that and luckily escaped with a warning instead of a fine......so it went back on......
U can only try, good luck

Offline StephenSLR

• Fuel Injected
Front number plates
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2011, 08:04:09 AM »
Quote from: Jethro link=topic=8923.msg1045941564#msg1045941564
"NUMBER PLATE EXEMPTION" best of luck with that in NSW

Well the RTA is in NSW.

The problem is, as 87droptop has found out, even if you got the exemption you'd be pulled over so many times by cops then have to explain it all or take out papers, probably not worth all the drama.

I do recall many years back John Thompson car dealership in Burwood used to have plenty of cars with USA1 as a front number plate (the lettering was thick and coloured in stars and stripes) and the rear no. plate was always white with either blue or green lettering, it was unusual back then when we only had the yellow/black plates.  Possibly a dealer thing he had going on.

s