Author Topic: 86 DASH FLASHING ON AND OFF  (Read 2648 times)

Offline CRAIGB

86 DASH FLASHING ON AND OFF
« on: November 26, 2011, 07:51:22 PM »
The car was not driven for 2 months, battery was flat.  Charged the battery with terminals disconnected, reconnected and car started first go and runs ok, but dash cluster now wont work.  It just flashes on and off, anyone maybe know where i should start with this problem.  I have the factory books and electrical diagnosis, but it does not mention this problem?

Offline sirfixalot

• Fuel Injected
  • Committee Member & Tech Adviser C3-C4
86 DASH FLASHING ON AND OFF
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 10:14:15 PM »
I fixed one a couple of years ago a popular mod was to put 10 watt globes into dash to make brighter, original were 5 watt, this increases the current draw of dash all inputs(lights,guages,etc) to dash are in the positive leg of circuit there is a common negative earth return for all circuits.The increased current burns out the negative return.When the rear of dash is removed there is 2 pc boards stacked on top of each other there is a pin connector between 2 boards with about a dozen pins this is where I found the negative had gone open circuit. The fix was to solder onto PC board track & bridge both boards together on neg return.There is an article on net with more detail