Author Topic: New throttle cable ?  (Read 6698 times)

Offline Stingraynut

• Four Barrel
    • www.myvette.20m.com
New throttle cable ?
« on: January 12, 2004, 03:01:51 PM »
Just checking here to see if anyone knows of a source of throttle cables (1988) - obviously the GM one will be too short.

Mine seems to have a join in the centre behind the block. I've cleaned , greased, oiled it etc and nothing works for long, I'm soon back to the 'hoon' takeoff.

I found a tiny spring at the pedal end which I removed some months ago, it made the initiation of the pedal impossible to judge.

I like the 'hoon' start soimetimes - but not when I'm backing out of the garage !

S'nut

Offline 77CVT

• Fuel Injected
    • www.autobabes.com.au
New throttle cable ?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2004, 03:25:02 PM »
Sure it's the cable and not the throttle body?  If the TB shaft is worn it makes for a hard start.

Mine was like that and then my cable broke.  The new one works a treat!

Offline Stingraynut

• Four Barrel
    • www.myvette.20m.com
New throttle cable ?
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2004, 05:55:09 PM »
Hi 77CVT, thanks for the idea. I have checked the linkage by hand and the TB seems OK.

The join in the middle of the cable appears to be the problem, I moved the cable a little and that made it slightly easier.

I'll probably have to give John Bondock a call, just checking here in case there's a simple answer....BUT....if yours broke then you had to get another - where, how etc

S'nut

Offline 77CVT

• Fuel Injected
    • www.autobabes.com.au
New throttle cable ?
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2004, 06:00:12 PM »
Got mine done for $50 at a trailer place here in Brisbane.  They do a lot of truck stuff.

I'm sure there would be a place up there that does the same.

Check out some of the bigger trailer spares places - might lead somewhere?

Offline Stingraynut

• Four Barrel
    • www.myvette.20m.com
New throttle cable ?
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2004, 06:19:18 PM »
Thanks 77CVT, sorry to seem dumb but do you mean a truck place or a box trailer type of place ?

S'nut

Offline 77CVT

• Fuel Injected
    • www.autobabes.com.au
New throttle cable ?
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2004, 11:57:49 AM »
Ha, ha!  Either.  The place I went to I think mainly did small trailers (box) but give someone a call and they may know who does it.

Shouldn't take too many calls to find out.

Offline Stingraynut

• Four Barrel
    • www.myvette.20m.com
New throttle cable ?
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2004, 12:21:03 AM »
I got my new cable but not without various dramas - I took my old cable off so that the workshop could use it as a template for the new one - when I fitted the new one it was 55 mm SHORT !!!!! --

Never an apology or a 'sorry' but much shaking of heads. They made another one up to my measurements (hoping that I'd made a mistake in guessing the correct length and they could walk away exonnerated)

It fitted perfectly, but the throttle was stiffer than before and within two days it was IMPOSSIBLE to press the pedal without kicking it very hard.

My old cable was joined in the middle  - one end was 7mm cable and the other 9mm. - but the new cable had much more friction than my old one !!!!

The real problem was a dry throttle body. I removed the rubber air hose and squirted Lithium grease into the three bearing surface for the throttle spindle, removed the new cable for the 3rd time and filled it full of grease - end result is a very smooth throttle pedal.

Now, why can't everything be as simple as that ?

I've read that a sealed roller bearing can be machined into the side of the throttle body to take the load off the spindle and ensure an easy moving throttle, sounds like a good idea, I plan to do that later on.

S'nut