Author Topic: LHD vs RHD on aussie RHD roads  (Read 6821 times)

Offline cosmicvette

• Four Barrel
LHD vs RHD on aussie RHD roads
« on: December 15, 2003, 08:31:28 PM »
Hi guys and gals,

Im new to this forum, and quite new to the world of c3 corvettes. I currently own a gen 3 (1984) Camaro and Im looking at buying a c3 corvette sometime in the next couple of months when the right one comes up. Its a dream car, and Im getting so excited.  :)

Im doing all my reasearch with this one as I want it to be the right car and have as little problems as I can. Thankyou to Garry (the President) for putting me onto this forum.  ;)

I have a question about LHD and RHD cars. (My camaro is RHD).
Do you know if it is weird driving a LHD car on RHD roads? or does it not really make too much of a difference? I would like to keep my corvette a LHD car..... I will be driving my corvette more than on just weekends. so I need to know how practical LHD will be.
Any help would be cool.

Thankyou in advance.

cosmicvette

MJ355

« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2003, 08:44:59 PM »
welcome i did the same as u want to i own a 91 camaro and recently bought a 71 c3 rhd drive though i asked the same question they reckon u adapt real easy

Offline MR 69ER

• Four Barrel
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2003, 11:06:32 PM »
Welcome aboard CV. Andy (69DirtyRat) has a left hand drive c3 & would not have it any other way, He loves the fact that is left hand drive for several reasons. 1 - You are closer to the chicky babes standing on the foot path at the traffic lights. 2 - You can talk to your mate as you fly past him (Andy's is a big block & he is not afraid to squeeze the trigger) & most importantly if you cross over onto the other side by mistake your passenger will always let you know. A bit like a speed alert but a little different. Warren also has just purchased a c3 left hand drive from the states and I might be incorrect but I don't think he has owned a left hand drive car before (he practised on Andy's a bit) and he seams to be coping quite well. Just make sure that the car you buy is 30years or older if you want to leave it left hand drive.
All the best hope I have helped
Steve:20:20:20

Offline MR 502

• Four Barrel
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2003, 11:22:24 PM »
Hi cosmicvette  ive only had my LHD for 2 weeks and its fine, you just have to remember your line of sight is more to the left, and im sure your pasengers will let you know if you start to drift right!!! The hardest thing to remember is witch side to get in.  Hmmm    Good luck

Offline cosmicvette

• Four Barrel
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2003, 12:26:30 AM »
hahaha, cool guys thanks for your replies. Its great to have this info before I purchase my c3 vette. I really do want a LHD one because I want it to be quite original...and also I think it would be cool :22
so its great to hear what other people think.

stay cool, and thanks again,
cosmicvette

Offline Nik

• Four Barrel
    • http://www.niksweb.com
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2003, 03:12:09 PM »
I'm living in the USA right now, but when I return next year or early 2005, the vette will remain LHD.

Apparantly it isn't that bad.

So where do you plan on getting your vette from?

My Car Domain Spot
www.niksweb.com :evil

Offline Vette Obsessed

• Supercharged
    • http://www.nswcorvettes.com.au
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2003, 05:17:49 PM »
I don't own a LHD car but I have driven a few and it is really not too big a thing to adapt to.

I think the main issues would involve paying at toll gates, the Macca's drive through window (let's not get into the "do you eat in your Vette?" issue ;ay), and line of sight when overtaking.
"Life's tough.  It's tougher when you're stupid"

Offline cosmicvette

• Four Barrel
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2003, 12:08:56 AM »
Hey guys,

I had a good time at the tuesday night christmas bbq, thanks Garry for letting me come along, and thanks to all the people that made me feel welcome and that took time out to speak to me about me purchasing a c3. I really appreciate it. Far out all the cars looked awesome. :22

regarding LHD or RHD....I definetly want a LHD car.... I don't want it to have a conversion, and I won't be converting it either....it will stay LHD (Ive got nothing against it...Ive just decided thats what I want thats all). :b2

Regarding where I plan to purchase one from....well If the right car comes up in Australia then thats absolutely great! but in the mean time Im looking into importing one actually....my only hesitation is purchasing one sight unseen...now it would be a real bum if it arrives and I look at it and its not what I expected wouldn't it!

Well I think I gotta get some sleep! ;36

Stay cool guys, ;35 Thanks for all your help.  Have a great Christmas :25

cosmicvette

MJ355

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2003, 08:07:33 PM »
Some advice join the chrome bumper crew 68-72 personal choice
try joes golden gasoline in sa they import heaps of vets and they have heaps of lhd vets seem prity reasonably priced

Or try car point
http://carpoint.ninemsn.com.au/marketplace/usedcarlist.asp

Offline cosmicvette

• Four Barrel
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2003, 10:37:43 AM »
yeah Ive had a look at Joes Gasoline, he does have a few. WHen I finsih my work in January Ill probably head down and take at look at what hes got.

Thanks for the help.

cosmicvette ;35