Restoration & Modification Projects > Restoration Projects

76 its a little sad this is the trail vehicle

(1/8) > >>

bfit:
Hi every one
I am hoping to get a bit of feed back on what problems  I mite  run in to fitting a LS3 in  to a C3
I am sure some one out there will have already done this

Bfit

Scott:
I think the biggest problem is getting the correct sump and ancillaries. I never worked out if the local commondore ones are correct.  I'm pretty sure the sump is the wrong one and you'd need an aftermarket one.

There are engine mount plates that allow the engine to be mounted very easily. There are a few different designs that put the engine forward or higher/lower, but you don't want the sump too low. You have to work out the best comprimise.

With the gearbox, half of the problems mentioned previously still exist if you go the T56.  You'll need to cut/fab the cross member, shorten the tailshaft, convert the car to hydraulic clutch master and sort out the elec/mech speedo problem.  The shifter may need a little modification to get it to come up through the right place.

Using the 4 speed auto wiill solve the hyd clutch issue but I'm not 100% sure if there is enough room in the trans tunnel.  Tail shaft, speedo and cross member will still be an issue, as will fitting the shifter to the console.

Then there is the wiring.  Enougn places fo LSX conversions these days, so that shouldn't be too much problem to find someone to do it.  You can probably get a harness from the states that will get you most of the way there.

Lastly, to get it engineered you will need all the pollution gear from what ever year the donor car is. So, charcoal cannister, cat converters etc.  All that crap.

One grey area is if you use an after market block.  Since they aren't from a car of any particular year, you may not require any pollution gear apart from what the car is originally specced in. (ie no cats)  You'd have to investigate this further though as I haven't looked into that as much.

bfit:
I would be getting the engine out of the US from a contact I have
 it would come with  sump for the vette and accessories high mounted on the front

The engines are built out of new GM components
and come with all the pollution gear. I don't mind fitting all that.
Do my bit to reduce pollution, on this car anyway.

engineers are a worry as no two have the same ideas
at 6.2L its a bit more than an over bore  from a 5.7 but arguable when it comes to doing it
Engine is about 50KG lighter   the only thing they could complain about is HP
And that can be tuned down   to a few hundred if required.

How is HP measured for rego now days
I have not looked in to it yet
  But Hp used to be worked out on piston diameter
Goes back to the old steam days
that may well have changed,  since I did any of this ( mmm over 30 years )
one would think the powers to be would like the lower emissions and better km/ L

mechanically its straight forward  bolting it in there will  be ease.
 things to work out
radiator size  
how to adapt the tachometer
which engineer to Use
learning something about computer controlled  petrol engine ?( may be this should be listed first )

Bfit

Scott:
So would it be built from a GM or aftermarket block?  It may make a difference to the engineer.  As will using the factory computer vs aftermarket.

Aren't the engines fly by wire?  You may need a suitable accelerator pedal set-up too.

I thought the rules for engine swaps were based on displacement, not horsepower.  Having a separate chassis helps with this lots. What year car is it going into?

There are plenty of threads on the US forums about the conversions. While it's not a straight bolt in, it's not too hard.

bfit:
IF I do this It will be in to  79
 computer and wiring are Gm
I have to ask the question about the block
Bfit

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version