Author Topic: noisy brand new push bearing  (Read 4875 times)

Offline 87droptop

• Four Barrel
  • Mood: Always good !!
noisy brand new push bearing
« on: February 05, 2011, 03:03:28 PM »
hi all, again. i installed brand new heavy duty Exidy clutch, pressure plate and bearing, since i figured no point pulling the engine out later to do this. i might have had the clutch pedal set a bit too high initially. the first time ever i pressed the clutch there was a loud high pitch noise, it went away as i took my foot off. i tried again while in 1st gear taking off, same noise with bit of knocking noise. i set the pedal back only as high as the brake pedal, and as soon as i rest my foot on it, with no pressure at all, i can just hear that high pitch noise again, obviously as soon as that bearing starts spinning...... NOT HAPPY. anyone can tell me wether it could possibly be anything else, and if not, can it be done without taking the engine out???? cross member not removable. Thanks guys for your inputs..

Offline reserved

• Four Barrel
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 01:27:40 AM »
what year vette are we talking about.

Offline gtc

• Supercharged
  • Car: 1970 454 Manual
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 02:03:54 AM »
Quote from: 87droptop link=topic=8061.msg1045938816#msg1045938816
can it be done without taking the engine out???? cross member not removable.

Yes it can, if you know the trick. Scott Girard of Corvette Alterations is your man, but he's on holiday until the 15th.
It's C3 chromie for me, see? Si!

Offline 87droptop

• Four Barrel
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 08:39:24 AM »
1968, so it is possible without taking the engine out.....great, thanks.. cheers

Offline reserved

• Four Barrel
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 03:37:57 AM »
Only the auto C3 had a removable cross member to aid the gearbox removal and I have removed an auto gearbox by moving the engine forward. The standard manual gearbox should be removable with the fixed cross member. However I chopped and flanged my fixed cross member for next time I have to repair my auto gearbox.
:beer:

Offline 87droptop

• Four Barrel
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2011, 08:26:55 PM »
Thanks, i disconnected everything from the engine, even the bolts between the engine and box are out, the only thing left now are the engine mounts, then i'll bring it forward, work out what the problem is, hopefully soon, and get on the road for the first time. thanks 4 the input guys.

Offline sirfixalot

• Fuel Injected
  • Committee Member & Tech Adviser C3-C4
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2011, 09:29:08 PM »
Could it be the thrust race carrier is not installed correctly to clutch fork ?

Offline 87droptop

• Four Barrel
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2011, 08:52:16 PM »
that was one theory, but now the engine sits all the way at the front of the engine bay, and spinning that bearing by hand, it sounds like SAND is crunching..... weird, i never noticed that when i installed it, but it is sitting correctly at the fork... not happy