Author Topic: 71 rebuild  (Read 299781 times)

Offline wabco40

• Fuel Injected
Re: 71 rebuild
« Reply #780 on: January 22, 2019, 07:03:21 AM »
I have been doing a few changes to the ignition system and have got rid of the distributor and will be using coil near plug setup.
My ignition has always been controlled from a crank trigger and I was only using the distributor to drive the oil pump, supply a cam sync for sequential injection and to distribute the spark from the coil to the spark plugs.
The distributor is now replaced with an MSD distributor plug that drives the oil pump and supplies a Hall effect cam sync. My previous MSD ignition box is also replaced with FAST ignition module to control the individual coils.
I am still in the process of wiring everything up. The coils will be mounted on the heat shields on the bottom of the firewall. I've made up stronger shields using 3mil aluminium instead of using the thin steel shields.
I am away working for the next few weeks, so will finish off when I get back home.

Offline bfit

• Don't talk of dust and roses
  • Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
  • Mood: Honey reinforced
  • Car: Yes
« Reply #781 on: January 22, 2019, 10:35:49 AM »
neat and tidy as usual
Brad Here is something you could consider if you run out of things to do.

Bfit
I have seen too many instances where people continue to pursue wrong courses of action because they do not take the time to think critically about what has happened in the past.’’
Winston Churchill

Offline wabco40

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #782 on: January 22, 2019, 01:32:14 PM »
neat and tidy as usual

Bfit

The wiring is a mess Bob, I am still in the process of terminating and routing the harnesses.

What’s the rear end out of?

Offline Jethro

• Camo's nemesis
  • Supercharged
  • The Lone Ranger
  • Car: 1969 Corvette Roadster
« Reply #783 on: January 22, 2019, 02:51:47 PM »
Commy ?

Offline bfit

• Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
« Reply #784 on: January 22, 2019, 06:11:54 PM »
neat and tidy as usual

Bfit

VF GTS  same as a gen 5 Camaro zl1
I have seen too many instances where people continue to pursue wrong courses of action because they do not take the time to think critically about what has happened in the past.’’
Winston Churchill

Offline wabco40

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #785 on: January 22, 2019, 10:03:20 PM »
VF GTS  same as a gen 5 Camaro zl1

Cool. I didn't catch on when Jethro said Commy.

Do you have some more pictures of the install?

Offline wabco40

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #786 on: March 29, 2019, 02:02:03 PM »
It's been awhile between post. I've had my car back on the road for a month or so now and the ignition system is working well.

The ECU and ignition module are mounted behind the right dash pad. The fuses and diagnostic lights can be seen by looking up from the foot well but cannot be seen from the normal seating position.
I have the coil packs mounted to the shields at the base of the firewall and the ht leads routed along the side of the block and then up to each spark plug.

There is no noticeable difference in performance between the old and new ignition systems, other than the idle being slightly richer now and required me to lean the fuel table out on this part of the map. I don't think this has to do with changing the ignition system though.

The engine bay certainly looks a lot cleaner now without the distributor and ht leads.

The last picture was taken at the Gosnells Hotel car show a few weeks ago.

Offline Jethro

• Camo's nemesis
  • Supercharged
  • The Lone Ranger
  • Car: 1969 Corvette Roadster
« Reply #787 on: March 29, 2019, 02:27:05 PM »
Bloody ORSUM BradO

Offline craigh

• Four Barrel
« Reply #788 on: March 29, 2019, 03:05:44 PM »
Nice clean look Brad

Offline wabco40

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #789 on: March 29, 2019, 04:59:00 PM »

Offline wabco40

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #790 on: March 29, 2019, 05:00:19 PM »
Nice clean look Brad

Thanks Craig. How’s your assembly going?

Offline craigh

• Four Barrel
« Reply #791 on: March 29, 2019, 05:22:15 PM »
Thanks Craig. How’s your assembly going?

Way too slow Brad.

Offline wabco40

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #792 on: March 29, 2019, 05:52:49 PM »
Way too slow Brad.

Can’t rush these things, not when dealing with new paint anyway.

Offline wabco40

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #793 on: June 24, 2019, 02:03:15 PM »

Not much been happening with my car lately. I have just been trying to clock up a few miles before winter sets in.
I am pleased with the new ignition system and how my EFI tune is. I have spent a lot of time working on the tune and think it's as best I will get it now while keeping it relatively conservative and safe.

Below are YouTube links.
The first one was when I put it on a hub dyno. The engine went a bit too rich during part of the pull but still managed 465/465 at the hub. I was data logging the run so it was easy to overlay the results over the fuel map and lean this section of the map up a bit.
I haven't had it back on the dyno since changing the ignition and finishing the tune.

The second video is when I was leaving my mates business. He had never seen the car before and was quite wrapped in it.

Offline Lefty

• Lefty
  • Four Barrel
« Reply #794 on: June 25, 2019, 06:27:02 AM »
Car looks fantastic.
What's the next project?
79 vette

Offline craigh

• Four Barrel
« Reply #795 on: June 25, 2019, 07:38:28 AM »
Sounds nice on the Dyno Brad.

Offline wabco40

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #796 on: June 25, 2019, 07:40:26 AM »
Car looks fantastic.
What's the next project?

Thanks. I would like to do a 69 based on a Roadster Shop chassis, Dynamic Corvette front and rear clips and LSX powered. Not sure if or when this will happen though!!!
Currently working on a 28 Chev roadster pickup. I am keeping this one stock. I am in no real hurry working on this and just recon parts as I am stripping them from the car.

Offline wabco40

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #797 on: June 25, 2019, 07:45:46 AM »
Sounds nice on the Dyno Brad.

Thanks Craig, there was a bit of a stumble where the engine went overly rich but I have since sorted that out.
Your car is coming along nicely.

Offline wabco40

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #798 on: February 12, 2020, 12:50:19 PM »

Its been along time between posts.

I have been thinking about modifing my bonnet for some time and fitting a heat extractor to it. I like the look of the C7 Corvette and Gen5 Camaro hood vents but the C7 one was a bit too small and the Camaro vent had too much of a curve to it to match my big block hood.

I ended up purchasing a Trackspec Motorsport Gen5 style vent. These are just pressed aluminium and the instructions require you to cut a hole in the bonnet and rivet the vent in place.
I didnt like the idea of just riviting the vent on top of the bonnet and thought it would be better to recess it into the bonnet and make a top trim plate that covers the fasteners and sit flush with the top of the bonnet.
I ended up getting two aluminium plates water jet cut. One is 2mm thick that is used as a base plate that I bonded to the underside of the bonnet and the hood vent screws to, the other is 1.6mm that covers the top and is held in place with thin 3M double sided tape.
I also painted the centre of the bonnet black and re-cleared/colour sanded the whole bonnet. I eventually plan to continue the black across the wiper door, tops and rear deck. It means stripping the car back down, sanding the clear, masking and painting the blackouts, clear coating and colour sanding. Its quite a large job so I will do it over the winter period.

Offline bfit

• Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
« Reply #799 on: February 12, 2020, 01:00:38 PM »
I've  thought about  grafting    the gill section out of a set of 69 guards, into the hood .
maybe one day .
Bifit
Winston Churchill