Restoration & Modification Projects > Restoration Projects

71 rebuild

<< < (81/162) > >>

wabco40:
I have made a bit more progress over the last few days.

The clutch master cylinder is mounted and pushrod adjusted. Its a bit hard to see in the picture but the reservoir is mounted beside the brake m/c.

I have removed all the factory gauges from the centre cluster and fitted Autometer gauges. I picked up another gauge backing plate and clearance it to suit the new gauges, this way I still retain the seat belt, headlight and door ajar lights.
I also removed the original radio and replaced it with a Retro Sound unit. Its a lot easier to fit the gauge cluster and console back in with this unit then the original radio.

The mess behind the right dash pad. I wired in a GM knock sensor module to the ECU.

Jethro:
Brad, those Autometer gauges your fitted to centre cluster look like they where meant to be there   :thumb:

wabco40:

--- Quote from: Jethro on September 13, 2014, 11:31:50 PM ---Brad, those Autometer gauges your fitted to centre cluster look like they where meant to be there   :thumb:

--- End quote ---

Thanks Jethro,

I figured they would have to be more accurate then the 44 year old originals. The 2 1/16" diameter gauges fit well in the centre cluster.

I started to remove the diff today (to do a ratio change) but only got as far as unbolting the half shafts. I am back to work on Tuesday for another week so will have to wait until then.

craigh:
The backing plate work looks like OEM Brad.

Did you just cut and grind the backplate down then mount your new stuff.

wabco40:

--- Quote from: craigh on September 15, 2014, 04:21:02 AM ---The backing plate work looks like OEM Brad.

Did you just cut and grind the backplate down then mount your new stuff.

--- End quote ---

Hi Craig,

The original gauges are bolted to the backing plate, they where also grounded there.
The new gauges are much deeper so I just cut out the area where the original gauges mounted to and retained the area where the light sockets and seat belt board fit.
The seat belt light and reset button gets its power from the original fuel gauge and was grounded on the backing plate. I had to wire it to a switched 12v source and grounded it back to the console ground point.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version