Author Topic: 71 rebuild  (Read 157681 times)

Offline wabco40

• Fuel Injected
71 rebuild
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2010, 06:27:31 PM »
When I finished stipping the paint from the rear clip I did fibreglass repairs (the usual cracks around the bumper mounting holes) and filled any low spots. The whole lot was then long board sanded and then sprayed with epoxy primer.

Pictures of the rear clip going back on the chassis.

Offline Jethro

• Camo's nemesis
  • Supercharged
  • The Lone Ranger
  • Car: 1969 Corvette Roadster
71 rebuild
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2010, 06:39:29 PM »
Some serious work their wabco40 :ado::ado::ado::ado: so how many BBQ's did ya have around the Pergola whild rebuilding :huh::huh::huh::huh::huh::huh:

Offline wabco40

• Fuel Injected
71 rebuild
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2010, 06:54:08 PM »
Quote from: Jethro link=topic=7864.msg1045938066#msg1045938066
Some serious work their wabco40 :ado::ado::ado::ado: so how many BBQ's did ya have around the Pergola whild rebuilding :huh::huh::huh::huh::huh::huh:

I think its more of a case of how many cartons of beer that have been through my beer fridge!!!:drunk:

Working on the front clip. It had been hit on the right lower fender sometime in its history. Whoever repaired made a total mess of it. I have spliced a new right rear lower section in place. The pictures where taken the same day I was flying to the US.

Offline wabco40

• Fuel Injected
71 rebuild
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2010, 07:11:05 PM »
The following weekend while at Carlisle in Pennsylvania.

Can I have one of those please. Heres my card number and shipping address!!!

Offline Jethro

• Camo's nemesis
  • Supercharged
  • The Lone Ranger
71 rebuild
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2010, 07:25:54 PM »
Hey Webco, did you agt the two C6's in the back ground as well.....

Offline wabco40

• Fuel Injected
71 rebuild
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2010, 09:52:31 PM »
Quote from: Jethro link=topic=7864.msg1045938069#msg1045938069
Hey Webco, did you agt the two C6's in the back ground as well.....

Yeah I wish. I was actually looking for a later model C1 roller to bring home but the prices are a bit over the top now.

Several months later my new one piece front clip and inner fenders arrive.

Checking to see if how much clearance there is between the air cleaner and hood (sorry bonnet). I used a Torker 11 manifold to convert to EFI as its the lowest profile single plane I could find and didn't want anything sticking out the bonnet.

Offline demonx

• Fuel Injected
71 rebuild
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2010, 12:08:22 AM »
Very nice - I'm pretty jealous of how good that car is going to be when finished!

Offline wabco40

• Fuel Injected
71 rebuild
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2010, 08:35:06 AM »
Quote from: demonx link=topic=7864.msg1045938072#msg1045938072
Very nice - I'm pretty jealous of how good that car is going to be when finished!

Thanks Demonx. Its taking a long time, between working everyday and waiting on parts to arrive.
How did you go painting your side grills? Iam doing mine at the moment, what a PITA.

While I was waiting for the new front clip to arrive I rebuilt the headlight units and wiper door linkage. The units where stripped down, bead blasted and painted satin black. They where then assembled with new bushes, bearings, springs etc.

Offline demonx

• Fuel Injected
71 rebuild
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2010, 09:15:25 AM »
Quote from: wabco40

How did you go painting your side grills? Iam doing mine at the moment, what a PITA.

I stuffed mine up the first time. When I had some paint troubles (theres a big thread about it under yours) I had a paint tech from PPG come out and give me a hand. When he was there he showed me how he'd paint the grills and did a demo run to display proper technique.

Instead of doing full length passes and then side ways passes like I did the first time (getting too much paint build up) he painted each egg crate seperately in a quick semi circular movement. This meant no paint crossing over and a perfect job. I wish that when he was here doing it that it wasnt just a demo and he did them for me!

After you've finished painting them, then take a razor blade to reveal the chrome (so I've been told - I have to do these again myself)

Offline wabco40

• Fuel Injected
71 rebuild
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2010, 06:10:01 PM »
Quote from: demonx link=topic=7864.msg1045938075#msg1045938075
Quote from: wabco40

I stuffed mine up the first time. When I had some paint troubles (theres a big thread about it under yours) I had a paint tech from PPG come out and give me a hand. When he was there he showed me how he'd paint the grills and did a demo run to display proper technique.

Instead of doing full length passes and then side ways passes like I did the first time (getting too much paint build up) he painted each egg crate seperately in a quick semi circular movement. This meant no paint crossing over and a perfect job. I wish that when he was here doing it that it wasnt just a demo and he did them for me!

After you've finished painting them, then take a razor blade to reveal the chrome (so I've been told - I have to do these again myself)

I have painted mine with epoxy primer but masked up the raised chrome edge. It wasn't as hard as I thought it was going to be. I laid mask tape along the full lenght of each chrome edge then cut the corners in with a new sharp #11 xacto blade. I then folded the tape down the sides of the raised edge. There is a lip at the bottom of the raised edge that is a good guide for cutting the excess tape off.
I have the same problem with uneven coverage when I shot the primer. I have since sanded the primer back with 800 and have broken through in quite a few places. I will try doing the PPG reps method next time.

I am planning on remasking the raised edges again and then shooting wet on wet with a very fine coat of primer and then the base colour. I have got clear coat that is suitable for base coat and non ferrous metal. I will remove the masking and then shoot the clear.
I am not sure how this is going to come out. If it dosn't work then it will be back to the paint stripper and start again!!!

Offline wabco40

• Fuel Injected
71 rebuild
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2010, 09:26:26 PM »
Fitting the front clip and inner fenders. Its a case of dry fit 55 times and bond once.

Offline Jethro

• Camo's nemesis
  • Supercharged
  • The Lone Ranger
71 rebuild
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2010, 09:34:03 PM »
Cleanest workshop floor i've sen in a long time Webco40:banner::banner::banner::banner::banner::banner: