Author Topic: Re-wiring rear lighte for compliance.  (Read 6421 times)

Offline Scott

• Tri Powered
  • Shed Dweller
Re-wiring rear lighte for compliance.
« on: October 12, 2010, 11:22:28 PM »
One of my remaining tasks, that has been put off again and again is rewiring the tail lights so that I have amber indicators.  The same wire powers up for the brake light and indicator, which both use the same filament in the bulb.  I have tried reading the wiring diagram, but I can't work out where abouts these become two separate wires that I can run to different bulbs.

Can anyone provide a hint, or point me in the right direction? I'm good with a multimeter and basic electronics, just bad with wiring diagrams :mmm:

Cheers
Scott

Offline RHD.68.l89

• Four Barrel
    • www.invisiblecarbras.com.au
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2010, 12:20:39 AM »
The brake signal is fed to the indicator switch in the column. when the indicators are off it it is fed to both the tail lights. when you operate the indicators the flashing signal is fed to the appropriate bulb while disconnecting the brake signal from that bulb.
disconnect the brake switch signal from the indicator connector and feed it down the back. If you are using the reversing socket to house an amber bullb swap the Indicator/Brake line to the inner housing and run the new brake line to both the outer housings. Reverse signal can be either switched in to replace the brake (giving amber reversing and allowing you to use the reversing wire to send the brake signal) or fed to new white lights mounted under the bumper.

Offline demonx

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2010, 01:21:49 AM »
I have been told by the inspectors at Vicroads AND the engineer that's going to be doing my ticket that because of the age of my car (1970) that i do not have to alter the rear lenses. Your car should be in the same category.

If I were you I'd be looking into it a bit more and making a few phone calls.

The side markers are a different story - eiter pull te globes like most do or you can try rewiring them as indicators which is what I'll be attempting.

Offline RHD.68.l89

• Four Barrel
    • www.invisiblecarbras.com.au
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2010, 06:40:46 AM »
Depends on the ADRs. I know the ADRs came in 1/1/69 so vehicles built before that date do not require amber front and rear indicators. Supposedly after that date they do. FC holdens had a combined indicator/brake lamp so it was legal at some point.

Offline Scott

• Tri Powered
  • Shed Dweller
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2010, 09:04:06 AM »
Thanks for that RHD.68.  I'll have to get under the dash and play around.
My car is a 73, so I definitely need amber rear indicators. A few years earlier and the red was passable.  Not a big issue really.  I have some white lights to incorporate for reversing lights and a clever scheme to try make it look good too... Whether or not it works is another thing though.

Offline bfit

• Don't talk of dust and roses
  • Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
  • Mood: Honey reinforced
  • Car: Yes
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 09:52:05 AM »
HI
 look up Philips  12067 bulb and ACX2594 base
you can fit these under your currant  reversing bulb in the same compartment and get a good orange  indicator Its a tight fit but works well

You will need some fitting skills and a some good files
I would post a photo if I knew how to

Bob
I have seen too many instances where people continue to pursue wrong courses of action because they do not take the time to think critically about what has happened in the past.’’
Winston Churchill

Offline bfit

• Don't talk of dust and roses
  • Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
  • Mood: Honey reinforced
  • Car: Yes
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 11:56:39 AM »
Hi again I supplied the wrong bulb number  to us new position as indicator  
Philips WY21W SilverVision
Type    12071SV
Volt      12
Watt     21
Base    WX3x16d
Remarks    Silver Coated Amber Wedge

Doing it this way your original reversing lights stays standard
Bob

I have seen too many instances where people continue to pursue wrong courses of action because they do not take the time to think critically about what has happened in the past.’’
Winston Churchill

Offline Scott

• Tri Powered
  • Shed Dweller
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2011, 12:57:42 PM »
Thanks for the info.

I have run a new wire from the brake pedal sensor to the rear of the car, taped to the original wiring harness the whole way, then hooked this to the brake lights.  The indicators were moved from the shares brake light/tail light spot to the reversing light location, with orabge bulbs installed.  I have a reversing light to install.  It's an LED tail light strip in white. So far I have cut in to the body :ohoh: just above the number plate mount and I'm half way through making a bracket to hold it all. It will sit just above the number plate, hidden in the recess below the number plate lights.  I had to make the cut to sit it lower so that it will shine out properly and not be shielded behind the recess.  This way I will have a decent reverse light that will properly light up behind the car, unlike many that I have seen. I have (bad) pics of all this.

Offline reserved

• Four Barrel
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2011, 01:57:56 AM »
I have found a list of ADRs and the date which they are applied.
The requirement for blinkers being amber is ADR 6 and the date for complience is at January 1973.
My 1973 Vette was built Sept 1972 and therefor need not comply, I assume.

:pepper::bannana::pepper::bannana:

Offline reserved

• Four Barrel
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2011, 02:16:20 AM »
On your reversing lights, which is ADR 1 with a complience date of January 1972.
Reasons for rejection.
"The lamps are not clearly visible from an observation point to the rear of the vechicle."
I read this as being a visible indicator even in the day.I may be wrong.
They refer to the lamps not the lamp in several places

:grr:

Offline Benandsally

• Two Barrel
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2011, 09:07:55 AM »
Hi Scott,
I rego'd my 71 and didn't have to change the tail lights. I think it is up to a personal choise    :drag:

Offline Scott

• Tri Powered
  • Shed Dweller
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2011, 10:37:50 AM »
MY car is a 73, so I need the abmer indicators. 72 was the last year.

As for the reversing light, it's clearly visible during the daylight. It's more likely I'll be knocked back for too bright :) but that shouldn't be a problem.

As for a single light, I don't think that will be an issue. My defender only has a single reversing light (from the factory) and it's much newer than the vette.  Also my fathers HQ tonner (73) had a single indicator light up for his reverse light.  That's all the guy wanted.

Offline Benandsally

• Two Barrel
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2011, 12:34:56 PM »
Hi Scott,

Sorry i was under the impression (for some silly reason) that your car was a 70-71
Thanks     :drag:

Offline reserved

• Four Barrel
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2011, 04:44:56 PM »
Quote from: Scott link=topic=7852.msg1045939189#msg1045939189
MY car is a 73, so I need the abmer indicators. 72 was the last year.

But do not forget that 1973 Vettes with a vin # of less than 410679 was built in the 1972 year. That is there were 10,679 1973 Vettes built in 1972 calender year.

:drunk: