Author Topic: C3 Chassis  (Read 7244 times)

Offline stinger

C3 Chassis
« on: August 10, 2010, 04:50:11 PM »
Hey

I'm new to the site, recently purchased a 1970 Coupe.
But unfortunately the chassis has a fair bit of rust.
I am in the process of starting a complete restoration but before i do just wondering if anyone knows of any Rust Free Chassis' in Aus for sale.

I also plan to do some engine mods and eventually bodywork but one step at a time.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!!

Cheers

Offline demonx

• Fuel Injected
C3 Chassis
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 06:27:25 PM »
All I can say is "Good luck". I have a couple of restoration threads on this site where people have chimed in to help me. (I'm not exactly a mechanic, just a guy having a go).

As far as the chassis - In the USA they are common and easy to pick up. Might have to import one.

There are a few Australian vette wreckers that advertise from time to time in "Just Parts" magazine but I cannot remember any names off the top of my head.

You might also want to call Vette Connection on (03) 97764114 or Corvette Alterations on (02) 99718218. You might get a lead on one from either of those places.

Remember that by changing the chassis you also change the year of the car for registration purposes under Australian law unless someone who knows more than me can step in and say otherwise??

Offline mick

• Tri Powered
C3 Chassis
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 09:18:31 AM »
I got a chassis brought out with my car as its chassis was rusty too. when my car was loaded the spare chassis was simply secured under my car. There are plenty on wreckers in the USA you could easilly get a decent chassis.

I went here last year and they had heaps of C3 full cars and bits laying around: http://jdcorvette.com/  (I got a tour because i spent a bit of money there)

Hopefully someone here online can offer some space in a container they are already organising to come out of LA.

Offline sirfixalot

• Fuel Injected
  • Committee Member & Tech Adviser C3-C4
C3 Chassis
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2010, 12:46:29 PM »
Stinger you have a U2U

Offline stinger

C3 Chassis
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2010, 03:13:25 PM »
Thanks guys, i have emailed JD to see if they have any I know of someone that has a container over in LA at the moment that hasn't left yet so i will see if i can grab some of their space.

This is my first real restoration, i am not doing the work myself cause i would not be game enough, but have a local fella down here in Tassie that does a lot of hot rods and things doing the work for me.

This is my first vette (Dreamt about it since i was a small boy) and there are no clubs down here and not many around. SO if anyone has any tips or suggestions seeing as i pretty much going to start from scratch with the chassis and engine that would be fantastic.

At the moment it's fairly orginal which i like and  got a non-matching 350 and from what i have found of the engine number it's a two bolt out of a 76 from memory.

I'll get some pics up soon to give you an idea of how it is going!

Offline mick

• Tri Powered
C3 Chassis
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 07:32:20 PM »
Hey Stinger, any luck finding a chassis mate???