Author Topic: 72Vet - Rebuild  (Read 6491 times)

Offline 72vet

• Supercharged
72Vet - Rebuild
« on: July 05, 2010, 05:23:17 PM »
Three months into the rebuild & thought it was about time to share some pics.

Been planning to do this from when we purchased the car in 2004, so I’ve had a few years to source parts from the US, along with assisting MR 502 with his project made it easier to know what parts I would need to bring in, instead of having to wait for them when required.

March 20 - Body off, with the help from a few club members. The other two were camera shy.
Thanks guys.

I made a checklist for what had to be removed & stuck it to the windscreen which worked quite well. We then just ticked of each item as we went along.

Roughly around 6 hrs to have the two separated. (The car - not the members) :grin:

My neighbour was kind enough to allow me to degrease the chassis at his property.

Now the fun begins

The entire shell had to be stripped before sending it to the soda blaster. Engine bay, door jambs, wheel arches & the belly were cleaned.

I had arranged for the body to be at the panel shop within two weeks from when I started. So the pressure was on.

All under control with a couple of days to spare & off to the panel shop with the help of Mid-City Towing a club magazine sponsor  - Thanks Tony

With the shell taken care of, next part was to strip the Chassis. The Belly hoist was purchased months before, (great little device) and again with the help of a club member - Thanks Brian.

With the chassis now a bare skeleton, I needed to find a sand blaster. Funny how things work out, while at a recent car show (GM Day at Penrith) I ran into Bootlegger (from this forum) and I mentioned what I was up to, as it turned out he also is working on a project that needed blasting and could arrange for a mobile sand blaster to be at his property in a week or two and we could split the cost - Thanks for ya help Dave.

While I was busy with the Chassis the guys at Precision Marine Refinishing were doing their thing.

With the Chassis painted the enjoyable part begins, putting it back together.

The engine was sent off for some needed repairs, so the rear end was the first  to go back on.

Trailing arms reconditioned with the help from forum member - sirfixalot
Calipers re-sleeved with new pistons and O- rings set up. The diff had a slight leak so that was sent away and was given the once over  

Then the front

Engine  

With all the repairs finished and the engine bay, inner guards painted now it’s off to the electrician/sirfixalot (I now know why he's known by that name)  for some needed work.

So that’s where I’m up to at the moment. Many more cold nights to be had in the garage, but it will be worth it when it's finished.

I hope to start the engine soon, all depends when I get the radiator support panel back from having a bit of rust cut out.
They've only had it for three months. :grr:

More pics Here
:beer:

CLICK ME to see my albums.

Offline demonx

• Fuel Injected
72Vet - Rebuild
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2010, 11:27:42 PM »
Geez!!! - Thats awesome!

Thanks for sharing.

Offline Reklaw

• Four Barrel
72Vet - Rebuild
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 08:20:05 AM »
Lookin' really great, Nick. Thanks for the update.
Bob Walker
Long Jetty

Offline mick

• Tri Powered
72Vet - Rebuild
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 01:23:58 PM »
Lookout :drag:!!!, thats looking great !!!

Offline 72vet

• Supercharged
72Vet - Rebuild
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 08:01:30 PM »
thanks everyone for your comments and encouragement!  I'll keep you up to date with the rebuild with more pics as the project goes on.
CLICK ME to see my albums.

Offline Scott

• Tri Powered
  • Shed Dweller
72Vet - Rebuild
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2010, 01:18:24 PM »
That's looking real purdy.  Frame off is the way to go, especially when rebuilding the suspension.

Offline 86er

• Four Barrel
72Vet - Rebuild
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2010, 07:14:18 PM »
Weel done Nick & of course Sharon for letting you.
Can't wait to see the finished product I am sure by the look of the photos it will be a great piece of work
Vette blues