Technical Tips > Importing - Cars & Parts. Also RMS (RTA) Regs

Importation of pre-1989 Vehicles

<< < (2/5) > >>

chopaweeza:
I'm lucky . I ship bikes parts from LA to Sydney and finally bit the bullet . Upped the size of my container and found 2 sweet desert cars including a bog stock 80' C3 T Top. Now , because of the strict import approval system 90% of the cars I saw I had to turn down because they were modified in some minor way . Shame really because most were the sort of stuff that you could do in Australia anyway .

demonx:
Yeah - it is a real shame.

I guess if it stays like this long term all our cars will jump in value by a decent percentage.

One thing that really stood out inthe Street Machine article is they knocked back a car because, wait for it - "The can had been repainted...."

Who dare perform such a dangerous modification! We can't let a repainted car onto our Australian roads!

Camo:
We found this on one of the other sites we manage.

May be of interest to you

72vet:
More info guys.

Information relating to importing of vehicles into Australia from other countries.  There is a lot of commentary being made (some good, some wrong) on the various club forums on the internet and in general conversation.  Read the following for the official facts.

Importation of converted vehicles under the pre 1989 scheme
The pre-1989 scheme allows the importation of vehicles into Australia that were manufactured before 1 January 1989.  The scheme is outlined under regulation 17 of the Motor Vehicle Standards Regulations 1989.

However, if a vehicle has been modified or converted after original manufacture - so that the vehicle no longer meets original specifications - the date of manufacture is taken to be the later date of conversion.

If the date of conversion is 1 January 1989 or later, the vehicle will not qualify under the pre-1989 scheme.  One indication of a vehicle no longer meeting original specifications is where the vehicle acquires a different make, model or category.
To reflect scheme criteria, the Department requests that applicants provide the following supporting documentation with all applications to import vehicles under the pre-1989 scheme: a copy of the purchase document for the vehicle; a photo of the vehicle; and a certified copy of picture ID for the applicant.

Types of vehicle conversions
Vehicle conversions can take different forms.  One popular type of conversion is the production of replica cars from components of different makes or models.  An example is the conversion of a Volkswagen beetle into a replica Porsche.
Another popular type of conversion is the assembly of vehicles from different parts to create new types of vehicles.  Typical examples include the conversion of a passenger sedan into a drag racing car or a hot rod.

Similarly, scooter frames are sometimes assembled with different engines and electrics to produce new types of scooters.  Vehicles can also be modified to change their carrying capacity.  An example is the conversion of a Hummer into a stretch Hummer.
The later date of conversion is taken to be the date of manufacture even where the parts used in the assembly are old or used.

Vehicle conversions before 1 January 1989
It is possible for a modified vehicle to qualify under the pre-1989 scheme if the conversion occurred before 1 January 1989.  A variety of evidence can potentially be used to establish the date of conversion.  This includes vehicle registration documents, a statement from the converter or evidence that the vehicle was exhibited in its converted form (e.g., exhibited as a hot rod) some time before 1989.
Vehicle restorations

On the other hand, a vehicle restoration does not affect the original date of manufacture.  For example, an original vehicle may have new paintwork applied, the mechanical components reconditioned or replaced and the interior reupholstered.  An example is the restoration of a Model T Ford.  Similarly, an original vehicle may be customised (e.g., by unique paintwork) if kept within original specifications.

For further details, please see the Department's information brochure on Importing Vehicles to Australia available from the Dept of Infrastructure web site:

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/vehicle_regulation/bulletin/importing_vehicles/general

Applications for Approval to Import:  /Application.aspx
Considerations Before Importing:  /considerations.aspx
Eligibility Criteria:  /EligibilityCriteria_2.aspx
Persons Eligible to Sign Documents  /CertifyDocuments.aspx
Vehicle Equipped With an Air Conditioner:  /Airconditioner.aspx
Selling An Imported Vehicle:  /Selling.aspx
Notice of Rights of Review:  /Noticeofrights.aspx
Legislation:  /Legislation.aspx
Contacts:  /contacts.aspx

mrmarkos:
Since the "tightened administration" has anyone had any first hand experience with importing a car whether it's a corvette or something else into Australia. I'm after some first hand experiences of what has been allowed and what has been rejected.

I've tried emailing the department of infrastructure about whether a c2 corvette with a 350 would be allowed but they're doing their best to make things difficult.  It took them 3 days to send me a reply that basically said look at the web site, then another 2 weeks to say they need hi res colour pics of the car along with details of the mods. I sent them a link to a couple of ads on craigslist
 - one for a 65 with a 454
 - one for a 66 with a 350 and 5 speed
only for them to say the links don't work (even though they do).
:grr:

It seems to me they're doing it on a case by case basis based on the mood of the assessor on the day.

It really sucks when you try to do the right thing and some bureaucrat does there best to make things difficult. I'm going to try calling them tomorrow and see where that gets me. I'll post back if I make any progress.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version