Author Topic: Importation of pre-1989 Vehicles  (Read 18926 times)

Offline 72vet

• Supercharged
Importation of pre-1989 Vehicles
« on: May 13, 2010, 09:25:26 AM »
The Department of Infrastructure has recently, without any form of consultation or advance warning, begun
rejecting Import approval applications for the importation of modified pre 1989 vehicles. Many innocent individuals
have been caught by this sudden change in policy, and have vehicles in transit or stranded in foreign or domestic
ports.
The Department has belatedly placed an Alert notice on their website, and have issued a new version of the Vehicle
Standards Bulletin (VSB) that relates to importation.

http://www.asrf.org.au/docs/Import-Bulletin-001.pdf

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/vehicle_regulation/bulletin/importing_vehicles/general/pre1989scheme.aspx

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/vehicle_regulation/bulletin/importing_vehicles/general/pdf/VSB10_11.pdf
CLICK ME to see my albums.

Offline Scott

• Tri Powered
  • Shed Dweller
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2010, 11:32:37 AM »
Apparently it's a long standing lay that is only now being enforced.  It mainly concerns hot-rods and other modified cars that are deemed to be 'new' due to an upgraded chassis etc.

http://performanceforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67254532  (care if you don't like bad words)

Apparently I don't know how to link properly :(
edit: hey it workes :)

Offline tnygard

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2010, 08:07:02 AM »
What is considered "modification"?

Offline gtc

• Supercharged
  • Car: 1970 454 Manual
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2010, 06:41:17 PM »
Quote from: tnygard link=topic=7697.msg1045937373#msg1045937373
What is considered "modification"?

I haven't found a definition but, according to the following wording, the implication is that "modified" covers anything that isn't "factory specification":

• Original and unmodified (factory specification) vehicles manufactured prior to 1 January 1989 can

be imported without restriction. Import approvals will be granted as per previous policy.
  • Restored (factory specification) vehicles manufactured prior to 1 January 1989 can be imported

without restriction. Import approvals will be granted as per previous policy.
  • Modified vehicles originally manufactured prior to 1 January 1989 can ONLY be imported if the

owner can demonstrate that the modifications were completed prior to 1 January 1989. Import approvals will only be granted after the Department is satisfied that the modifications are pre-1989.
[/list][/color]
It's C3 chromie for me, see? Si!

Offline demonx

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2010, 11:22:16 PM »
On this topic - the latest issue of street machine has a write up.

No major breakthrough info but worth a quick skim read.

Offline chopaweeza

• Two Barrel
    • www.chopaweeza.com
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2010, 12:57:41 AM »
I'm lucky . I ship bikes parts from LA to Sydney and finally bit the bullet . Upped the size of my container and found 2 sweet desert cars including a bog stock 80' C3 T Top. Now , because of the strict import approval system 90% of the cars I saw I had to turn down because they were modified in some minor way . Shame really because most were the sort of stuff that you could do in Australia anyway .

Offline demonx

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2010, 12:02:19 PM »
Yeah - it is a real shame.

I guess if it stays like this long term all our cars will jump in value by a decent percentage.

One thing that really stood out inthe Street Machine article is they knocked back a car because, wait for it - "The can had been repainted...."

Who dare perform such a dangerous modification! We can't let a repainted car onto our Australian roads!

Offline Camo

• Jethro is my nemesis
  • Administrator
  • Supercharged
  • Joe Pappas Missile Builder
  • Car: 77. 355 ci 400hp
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2010, 02:30:16 PM »
We found this on one of the other sites we manage.

May be of interest to you

Time, The Predator That Stalks Us All

Black is not a colour, it's a life style

Offline 72vet

• Supercharged
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2010, 04:49:13 PM »
More info guys.

Information relating to importing of vehicles into Australia from other countries.  There is a lot of commentary being made (some good, some wrong) on the various club forums on the internet and in general conversation.  Read the following for the official facts.

Importation of converted vehicles under the pre 1989 scheme
The pre-1989 scheme allows the importation of vehicles into Australia that were manufactured before 1 January 1989.  The scheme is outlined under regulation 17 of the Motor Vehicle Standards Regulations 1989.

However, if a vehicle has been modified or converted after original manufacture - so that the vehicle no longer meets original specifications - the date of manufacture is taken to be the later date of conversion.

If the date of conversion is 1 January 1989 or later, the vehicle will not qualify under the pre-1989 scheme.  One indication of a vehicle no longer meeting original specifications is where the vehicle acquires a different make, model or category.
To reflect scheme criteria, the Department requests that applicants provide the following supporting documentation with all applications to import vehicles under the pre-1989 scheme: a copy of the purchase document for the vehicle; a photo of the vehicle; and a certified copy of picture ID for the applicant.

Types of vehicle conversions
Vehicle conversions can take different forms.  One popular type of conversion is the production of replica cars from components of different makes or models.  An example is the conversion of a Volkswagen beetle into a replica Porsche.
Another popular type of conversion is the assembly of vehicles from different parts to create new types of vehicles.  Typical examples include the conversion of a passenger sedan into a drag racing car or a hot rod.

Similarly, scooter frames are sometimes assembled with different engines and electrics to produce new types of scooters.  Vehicles can also be modified to change their carrying capacity.  An example is the conversion of a Hummer into a stretch Hummer.
The later date of conversion is taken to be the date of manufacture even where the parts used in the assembly are old or used.

Vehicle conversions before 1 January 1989
It is possible for a modified vehicle to qualify under the pre-1989 scheme if the conversion occurred before 1 January 1989.  A variety of evidence can potentially be used to establish the date of conversion.  This includes vehicle registration documents, a statement from the converter or evidence that the vehicle was exhibited in its converted form (e.g., exhibited as a hot rod) some time before 1989.
Vehicle restorations

On the other hand, a vehicle restoration does not affect the original date of manufacture.  For example, an original vehicle may have new paintwork applied, the mechanical components reconditioned or replaced and the interior reupholstered.  An example is the restoration of a Model T Ford.  Similarly, an original vehicle may be customised (e.g., by unique paintwork) if kept within original specifications.

For further details, please see the Department's information brochure on Importing Vehicles to Australia available from the Dept of Infrastructure web site:

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/vehicle_regulation/bulletin/importing_vehicles/general

Applications for Approval to Import:  /Application.aspx
Considerations Before Importing:  /considerations.aspx
Eligibility Criteria:  /EligibilityCriteria_2.aspx
Persons Eligible to Sign Documents  /CertifyDocuments.aspx
Vehicle Equipped With an Air Conditioner:  /Airconditioner.aspx
Selling An Imported Vehicle:  /Selling.aspx
Notice of Rights of Review:  /Noticeofrights.aspx
Legislation:  /Legislation.aspx
Contacts:  /contacts.aspx

CLICK ME to see my albums.

Offline mrmarkos

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2010, 08:58:57 PM »
Since the "tightened administration" has anyone had any first hand experience with importing a car whether it's a corvette or something else into Australia. I'm after some first hand experiences of what has been allowed and what has been rejected.

I've tried emailing the department of infrastructure about whether a c2 corvette with a 350 would be allowed but they're doing their best to make things difficult.  It took them 3 days to send me a reply that basically said look at the web site, then another 2 weeks to say they need hi res colour pics of the car along with details of the mods. I sent them a link to a couple of ads on craigslist
 - one for a 65 with a 454
 - one for a 66 with a 350 and 5 speed
only for them to say the links don't work (even though they do).
:grr:

It seems to me they're doing it on a case by case basis based on the mood of the assessor on the day.

It really sucks when you try to do the right thing and some bureaucrat does there best to make things difficult. I'm going to try calling them tomorrow and see where that gets me. I'll post back if I make any progress.

Offline gtc

• Supercharged
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2010, 10:03:38 PM »
Quote from: mrmarkos link=topic=7697.msg1045937794#msg1045937794
It seems to me they're doing it on a case by case basis based on the mood of the assessor on the day.

It really sucks when you try to do the right thing and some bureaucrat does there best to make things difficult. I'm going to try calling them tomorrow and see where that gets me. I'll post back if I make any progress.

Reminds me of the bad old days when you had to take unregistered cars over the pits at Motor Registries. The public servants parading as inspectors went out of their way to be unhelpful.

I would definitely try phoning first rather than emailing, although with bureaucracies you can get two different opinions over the phone on two different days.

Also, when sending pics you find on the web, download them first then attach them as files. They may have a file attachment size limit so ask about that.

Offline Benandsally

• Two Barrel
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2010, 09:10:23 AM »
Hi mrmarkos,

I am in the middle of importing my 71 corvette actually should be hear on the 15th September and i have not had any trouble at all, so far that is. As long as your car is a stocka and had no modifications done , you should not have any drama.  :beer:

Offline c5vette

• Four Barrel
    • www.mrpinball.com.au
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2011, 11:31:11 PM »
I just bought in a 69 camaro and instead of it having a 396 it had a 454 and a r400 trans.

rejected by Canberra, took 5 weeks to sort out, ever since the court case about the resto mod car we are all paying the price.

make sure the picture you show them does not have the reg no, as they have access to US information and are checking what options the car had when new.
2020 C8 Z51 Sebring Orange Stingray, Launch Edition

Offline gtc

• Supercharged
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2011, 01:09:33 PM »
Quote from: c5vette link=topic=7697.msg1045940915#msg1045940915
I just bought in a 69 camaro and instead of it having a 396 it had a 454 and a r400 trans.

rejected by Canberra, took 5 weeks to sort out, ever since the court case about the resto mod car we are all paying the price.

make sure the picture you show them does not have the reg no, as they have access to US information and are checking what options the car had when new.

So, did Canberra knock back your initial application for import approval on the basis of your description, or on the basis of what they discovered via rego look-up?

And how was it "sorted out"?

Offline bfit

• Don't talk of dust and roses
  • Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
  • Mood: Honey reinforced
  • Car: Yes
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2011, 01:54:23 PM »
I was warned a year  or more back  about this by the company I used to bring in two of my corvettes
Just two months back I was going to buy a 1980 corvette stock standard  except for a 5 speed Tremec  gears box  
I was advised not to buy it
for the above reasons listed above

Its the old buyer beware

SOME advice
Do not sit on your hands an hope this will all turn out ok
its not to late to start to protest  to you local member

I believe  those with a vested interest  
like car clubs   should be putting forward their members point of view  to local and federal members  .

There as some good point in previous posts here
One thing that all persons who need or want to import a vehicle should do is  become  acquainted  with the relevant  laws  and ADS  regulations  that apply to the year  vehicle you intent to import
And be prepared to argue the your point of view
IF you have a good handle on the laws that apply
then you can at least argue your point of view with the  bureaucrats.

Here is some thing to think about
 V8 supper cars race on the streets in some venues
these venues are closer roads
How ever  a road is a  pubic  road and all these vehicle are highly modified and do not comply  with host of ADRs.
Are they going to apply this criteria to those vehicles
May be one could argue the point that your vehicle is for special purposes rallying etc
Bfit  
I have seen too many instances where people continue to pursue wrong courses of action because they do not take the time to think critically about what has happened in the past.’’
Winston Churchill

Offline bfit

• Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2011, 10:56:13 AM »
GTC
good point you make  there
 BIG Brother Is watching ( 1984 )
Bfit
I have seen too many instances where people continue to pursue wrong courses of action because they do not take the time to think critically about what has happened in the past.’’
Winston Churchill

Offline demonx

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2011, 01:38:32 PM »
I think it's a case of what they look at - at that time

I just bought a 57 chev from an importer that has had nearly everything changed that could be unbolted, yet the guy managed to bring it into the country this year.

It is a massive gamble though if you're the one importing. I decided to buy local this time so I could actually view with my own eyes where my money was going.

Offline c5vette

• Four Barrel
    • www.mrpinball.com.au
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2011, 07:37:16 PM »
Quote from: gtc link=topic=7697.msg1045940919#msg1045940919
Quote from: c5vette link=topic=7697.msg1045940915#msg1045940915

So, did Canberra knock back your initial application for import approval on the basis of your description, or on the basis of what they discovered via rego look-up?

And how was it "sorted out"?

It was rejected based on what they found out not what i supplied.

I had to obtain a letter from the original owner to declare when the modifications where done as the dealer i bought the car from was not prepared to.

received the approval 2 days after the car arrived here in aus
2020 C8 Z51 Sebring Orange Stingray, Launch Edition

Offline gtc

• Supercharged
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2011, 08:15:56 PM »
Quote from: c5vette link=topic=7697.msg1045940925#msg1045940925

It was rejected based on what they found out not what i supplied.

I had to obtain a letter from the original owner to declare when the modifications where done as the dealer i bought the car from was not prepared to.

received the approval 2 days after the car arrived here in aus

Lucky he came through or that could've ended in tears. As I understand it, if the car arrives and import approval is refused Customs gives you two options: you ship it back at your own expense, or they send it to the crusher at Sims Metal.

Offline bfit

• Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2011, 10:41:04 AM »

( At this stage this is hear say, as I have not seen the corroborating   documentation )

I have been told this morning

That any project that is in progress before the 29th of this month
will be allowed to  progress  under the current  system.

it may  be wise If any one has a vehicle that you want to  register to
get a qualified  person to start a file on your job.
It is also not to late to lobby your local member

It would be handy to know if the changes afoot in NSW are only aimed at all imported vehicle  or only the modified vehicle
Has any one seen anything form the RTA on this current changes that are under way.

Bfit
Winston Churchill