Author Topic: “Folden”  (Read 2759 times)

Offline 72vet

• Supercharged
“Folden”
« on: May 09, 2010, 08:19:53 AM »

Kiwi radio pranksters create blasphemous “Folden” - a car that’s half Ford and half Holden

If ever there was a car to make Aussies hate Kiwi’s even more, this is it.

The Folden - a 1970s HQ Holden Kingswood sedan that’s had a 1969 Ford Mustang front end grafted on - has been built in New Zealand, with the aim of stirring up passionate Holden and Ford fans.

Jono Pryor and Robert Taylor host New Zealand radio station The Rock’s drive show, and they admit they’ve built the car as  a means of kicking the beehive – they wanted to see what would happen if they stirred up people’s passions.

“We came up with this outrageous idea about six months ago,” said Taylor during the unveiling of the Folden. “Ninety per cent of our listening audience are keen motorsport fans and [they’re] into cars and souping up of cars and racing of cars. So we thought why not poke a stick quite literally at them, and try and stir them up somehow.

“We found ourselves in a peculiar situation, too, where nobody else in their right sane mind would want to do this sort of thing – or at least waste the money, some might say, on doing it,” he said.

The project has reportedly cost the radio show between NZD $85,000 and $95,000 ($67,250 and $75,165). But the money was well spent, as the car is being auctioned off on NZ online auction site TradeMe with a starting price of just $1.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Cars/Other/auction-288962409.htm

It’s for a good cause, too, with the program pledging to donate all proceeds from the auction to the NZ Mental Health Foundation for Out Of The Blue - an organisation set up to help men who suffer from depression.

It may look simply like an HQ with a Mustang front end, but that’s not the only Ford touch - the car is powered by a 302ci (that’s 5.0-litre in the new-speak) Ford Motor Co V8 engine. There’s even a Folden badge which blends the body of a Mustang with the Holden lion’s head.

The Folden rolls on Chip Foose 20-inch wheels and has had a full gunmetal grey respray with orange stripes to help it stand out even more. It’s also been fitted with central locking and an alarm system, as well as a huge Sony stereo system.

The Folden auction ends this Thursday.

CLICK ME to see my albums.

Offline gtc

• Supercharged
  • Car: 1970 454 Manual
“Folden”
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2010, 02:50:39 PM »
The sheep made them do it.
It's C3 chromie for me, see? Si!