Author Topic: 383 kits  (Read 7821 times)

Offline Reklaw

• Four Barrel
383 kits
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2009, 09:07:09 AM »
............ or you could just buy a crate, like this one from Eagle Auto parts. http://www.eagleautoparts.com.au/gmht383.htm
Bob Walker
Long Jetty

Offline Scott

• Tri Powered
  • Shed Dweller
383 kits
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2009, 12:37:26 PM »
Originally posted by demonx
Just looking at the link above makes me wonder if there is much diffrence between a 383 and a 395 stroker, as in what other components and machining is required.

Running the same heads etc, it would give you a higher comp. ratio too.  Different heads have a different chamber cc.  Something to consider.  At a guess, the 395 wouldn't be ideal as there would be more angle in the rods and more wear on the piston sides.  It'd also rev a little slower but would give out a little more torque.  Definitely more clearancing, so I don't know if that affects the blocks structural integrity.  If they were the hot sauce, everyone would be building them instead of the 383 I guess.

Offline 87Z51

• Four Barrel
383 kits
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2009, 06:02:17 PM »
Originally posted by ScottRunning the same heads etc, it would give you a higher comp. ratio too.

You are not going to running stock heads in any form on a 396 if you want it to work. Aftermarket 195's at minimum; 205- 210 if wanting to make full power
Originally posted by Scott If they were the hot sauce, everyone would be building them instead of the 383 I guess.

It is the "iffy " factor; too much chance of hitting the water jackets while grinding with core shift ,etc. 3.750 stroke seldom has this problem.
Originally posted by reserved
 I would save my numbers engine and look to buy a second hand block and build it from there.

Exactly ; get a late 1 pce seal block for the build. Roller cam is the ticket and a factory roller block saves you $800 on a set of retro fit roller lifters.
Originally posted by Reklaw
 you could just buy a crate, like this one from Eagle Auto parts. http://www.eagleautoparts.com.au/gmht383.htm

Truck motor.
Better off buying  a ZZ4 350 ; 355Hp and 405ft/lb