Author Topic: Left Hook Cars  (Read 10339 times)

Offline MADVET

• Tri Powered
Left Hook Cars
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2008, 08:16:30 PM »
Originally posted by Cameron 77C3

How the hell do you place an order at McDonalds drive through with a left hand drive car? ;58
Easy, just drive through in reverse.;-)

NOW WE'RE TORQUING!

Offline gtc

• Supercharged
  • Car: 1970 454 Manual
Left Hook Cars
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2008, 08:41:26 PM »
Originally posted by MADVET
Originally posted by Cameron 77C3

How the hell do you place an order at McDonalds drive through with a left hand drive car? ;58
Easy, just drive through in reverse.;-)

;53
It's C3 chromie for me, see? Si!

Offline bootlegger

• Tri Powered
Left Hook Cars
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2008, 08:44:28 PM »
If someone can clarify this for me. A friend of mine is convinced he can register any LHD car in the ACT qld and WA if its a personal import ie You own and drive the car overseas for 12 months. Is this true?

Offline MADVET

• Tri Powered
Left Hook Cars
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2008, 09:06:43 PM »
Originally posted by bootlegger
If someone can clarify this for me. A friend of mine is convinced he can register any LHD car in the ACT qld and WA if its a personal import ie You own and drive the car overseas for 12 months. Is this true?
I can speak for the ACT. It's basically the same as NSW,ie 30 years+ regardless if it's a personal import or not.
NOW WE'RE TORQUING!

Offline gtc

• Supercharged
Left Hook Cars
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2008, 09:26:02 PM »
Originally posted by bootlegger

First it must meet DOTARS import approval criteria:

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/motor/sevs/index.aspx

Then it must meet individual registration rules of the state or territory he is going to use, and they're all bloody different.

Offline BlueVette

• Two Barrel
Left Hook Cars
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2008, 10:39:16 PM »
Here's a short clip that shows the way a Corvette should be driven, overtaking lane..........swiftly with steering on left!;54

110kph?.........;wtf;59;47:an

http://de.rofl.to/achtung-corvette-ueberholt
All 1968s carry the stigma of being "the worse quality" of all Corvettes.

Offline coradict72

• Four Barrel
Left Hook Cars
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2008, 08:57:14 PM »
Havent been on for a while.That Dotars document is so hard to understand.Made in 1989 now 2006 i believe even c3's had to be nutered then, only 21 yrs old.Ok there have been updates ,seeing this is an australian governemnt document please explain why WA can drive 15 year old cars LHD and we cant..this was mentioned already in this post........

Offline 69VETTE

• Supercharged
  • When a C3 is not Enough! - Try A C4
  • Mood: Get Jiggy Wit It
Left Hook Cars
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2008, 07:26:03 AM »
Originally posted by coradict72
Havent been on for a while.That Dotars document is so hard to understand.Made in 1989 now 2006 i believe even c3's had to be nutered then, only 21 yrs old.Ok there have been updates ,seeing this is an australian governemnt document please explain why WA can drive 15 year old cars LHD and we cant..this was mentioned already in this post........

Exactly, all the above links go to the Australian Governments, Department of Infrastructure Transport, Regional Development and Local Government... So why is WA exempt? ;27  Isnt this applicable to all in australia

This is the question on everyones minds.... we really need to look into this! :mmm

M;36
Live life to the fullest...drive a Corvette

Offline 69VETTE

• Supercharged
Left Hook Cars
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2009, 02:11:34 PM »

Hey Guys,

Someone asked me the other night at the car club meeting about the registration and conversion of Left Hook cars.

Some time ago i mentioned that in WA, the car (lets say the corvette, cause we really dont care for any other brand. - right?) only had to be 15 years of age, and not 30 likes it is in our glorious state for it to remain as a left hook car. :grr

This would mean that you could bring in some really nice C4's into the country... hmmm.. Grandsports! :{

I have looked a bit futher into this and found that in WA, the RTA, only really administers the road and maintanance and not the registration of the vehicles.

In Western Australia, the registration of vehicles is managed and regulated by the Dept of Planning.;wtf

Well, at least the Dept of Planning has got something right over there, ;42   cause the one in our state, has totally stuffed the building legislations truely!  and for those who dont know, or havent heard... they have introduce new planning laws which could mean a person can get an approval technically in 10 days to build a two storey house next door without your say in the matter.

Yes thats right, but thats another topic!!

Here is the link for those interested.

http://www.dpi.wa.gov.au/licensing/yourvehicle/1381.asp

Cheers

M;36

budskis

Left Hook Cars
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2009, 08:02:19 PM »
75 countries Drive on the LEFT hand side.

Today, only four European countries continue to drive on the left: Cyprus (500,000), Ireland (4.5 Mil), Malta (400,000) and the United Kingdom (60 mil). All are island nations, and as such none shares a physical border with a country that drives on the right; all were once part of the British Empire. Some Commonwealth countries and other former British colonies, such as Hong Kong (7 mil), New Zealand (4 mil), Australia (23 mil), India (1 bil), Pakistan (173 mil), Malaysia (23 mil) and South Africa (50 mil) continue to drive on the left, but others such as Canada, Gambia, Ghana, Nigeria, Sierra Leone, and the United States drive on the right. Other countries and territories which drive on the left are Thailand (65 mil), Indonesia (450 mil) and East Timor (1 mil) in Southeast Asia (593 mil), Suriname (500,000, Japan (110 mil), the U.S. Virgin Islands (120,000) and Macau (84 mil). Most Pacific countries (14 mil) drive on the LEFT.

Approximately 2 Billion people are not serviced by GM. I KNOW that the majority of these 2 billion are not in the market for a Vette but I have to ask one question….WHY IS GM NOT BUILDING A RIGHT HAND DRIVE VETTE TO SERVICE SOME OF THESE COUNTRIES? My answer is as follows: Apart from the time and expense required (like all businesses in the world) I believe that GM is an insular company. They are old and Grey and have not moved with the times therefore they have been “LEFT” behind. Toyota sells it’s products in every one of the countries mentioned above (including most right hand drive countries as well such as the USA). If GM and the US Government were serious about being world competitive with it’s products then surely they would consider a left hand drive Corvette and other models?  

Offline nifty

• Fuel Injected
Left Hook Cars
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2009, 12:24:56 AM »
the reason i was told we drive on the left comes back to medievil times, when like today most people are right handed, they could still have control AND swing a sword with their right hand...dont know how true it is though.

Offline gtc

• Supercharged
Left Hook Cars
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2009, 12:39:21 AM »
Originally posted by nifty
the reason i was told we drive on the left comes back to medievil times, when like today most people are right handed, they could still have control AND swing a sword with their right hand...dont know how true it is though.

Thories abound. Nobody knows for sure.

Here's a bit from the Wiki:

"In 1998, archaeologists found a well-preserved track leading to a Roman quarry near Swindon, England. The grooves in the road on the right side were observed to be much deeper than those on the left side, which would make sense given that carts would be driven without any load on the way to the quarry, but would return laden with stone. These grooves suggest that the Romans drove on the left, at least in this particular location.

In fact, some, for example C. Northcote Parkinson, believed that ancient travellers on horseback generally rode on the left side of the road. As more people are right-handed, horsemen would thus be able to hold the reins with their left hands and keep their right hand free—to offer in friendship to passing riders or to defend themselves with swords, if necessary.[citation needed]. It is often suggested this practice was brought about by the use of Postilions on coaches, in some countries they sat facing forward, in others back.

The first legal reference in Britain to an order for traffic to remain on the left occurred in 1756 with regard to London Bridge. The Highway Act 1773 contained a recommendation that horse traffic should remain on the left and this is enshrined in the Highway Act 1835.

In the late 1700s, the shift from left to right that took place in countries such as the United States was based on teamsters' use of large freight wagons pulled by several pairs of horses. The wagons had no driver’s seat, so a postilion sat on the left rear horse and held his whip in his right hand. Seated on the left, the driver preferred that other wagons pass him on the left so that he could be sure to keep clear of the wheels of oncoming wagons. He did that by driving on the right side of the road.[citation needed]. Other countries, for example France, adopted driving on the right as a result of Napoleonic occupation/control.

Countries that became part of the British Empire adopted the British keep-left rule, although many have since changed. Canada, for example, where the maritime provinces and British Columbia drove on the left, eventually changed to the right in order to make border crossings to and from the United States easier. Nova Scotia switched to driving on the right on April 15, 1923."

Offline 69VETTE

• Supercharged
Left Hook Cars
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2009, 07:32:25 AM »

Totally awsome gTc

Loved reading your find... who said corvette owners wernt smart cookies :fun

We need new ministers to over turn RTA decisions! ;56

M;36