Author Topic: Storing car? Tank full or half full  (Read 3989 times)

Offline mick

• Tri Powered
Storing car? Tank full or half full
« on: January 29, 2009, 09:25:07 AM »
Ive got an interesting Question here.

The other day I was topping my petrol tank up in the vette to a perfect full tank because i was not intending to drive it for a while.

My mate who was there at the time suggested i would be better off leaving the tank half empty, he could not tell me why only that his dad always did it with his cars when he stopped using them for a while.

Which is the best way ?

Offline gtc

• Supercharged
  • Car: 1970 454 Manual
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 09:57:16 AM »
I've read advice somewhere that the tank ought to be full for storage, and MotorEx requires exhibitors to have a full tank before leaving their cars in the exhibition hall, presumably to do with minimising risk of explosion due to fuel+air mix.

However, modern unleaded petrol doesn't seem to last very well more than 6 or so months in the tank, so there's that to consider.
It's C3 chromie for me, see? Si!

Offline 77CVT

• Fuel Injected
    • www.autobabes.com.au
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009, 10:25:46 AM »
Premium fuel starts going off after 3 weeks apparently.

I'd leave a full tank for long time storage, but after 4-5 months I'd use it for the mower and refill it.

Offline Shane Finn

• Four Barrel
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2009, 02:47:01 PM »
My dad used to run an Aviation fuel franchise and once told me the reason for filling the tank was to reduce the amount of air in the tank so there was less water for the fuel to collect from the air.

Basically fill the tank so there is less water absorption from the smaller quantity of air.
2001 Z06, Torch Red

Offline mick

• Tri Powered
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2009, 02:53:51 PM »
Its looking that i did the right thing, cool.    

I only ever leave her for about 6 weeks or so usually without taking her for a run.

;46

Offline nifty

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2009, 05:37:07 PM »
Originally posted by mick
Its looking that i did the right thing, cool.    

I only ever leave her for about 6 weeks or so usually without taking her for a run.

;46
you should be ashamed of yourself...... DRIVE IT MORE OFTEN THAN THAT......
 it just a car, albiet a nice looking car....
 i had my 74 for just 7mths before it had to be sold..... was out of my hands.
 BUT in the 7mths i did 9000 MILES...... drove it everyday,and took it away many times....just for the hell of it.
and it wasnt a beater either.....2nd and a 1st place in the 3 shows it was entered in.
didnt have to worry about parking it with a tank of juice.... as it never had time to even settle in the tank.