Author Topic: My Black Bitza  (Read 72726 times)

Offline Scott

• Tri Powered
  • Shed Dweller
My Black Bitza
« on: January 07, 2009, 03:15:56 PM »
It's taken a wile, but finally I took some pics of the car.  I started a while ago.

Engine is a 400 small block backed up with a T400 auto.

I had to fix one of the rear control arms.  One thing lead to another and next thing the whole rear end was off.

The whole underbody, including the chassis was coated with some sort of sound deadening.  This was find for the body, but trapped water and lead to surface rust on the chassis, so the whole lot was cleaned up and fish oiled, undercoated and painted.

Also the gearbox x-member was pretty badly bent, so I fixed that up and gave it a coat of paint also.

Along the way I have accumulated a few parts, including a glass rear spring and a new set of control arms.

I have just cleaned up and painted the diff and support member so hopefully they will be back in place soon. 

I love the red 'Limited slip diff oil only' tag

Gotta love milk crates :)
After that there are a whole lot of new parts, bushes, bearings and pieces to be installed. I'll keep this updated from now on.;-)

Offline MADLT1

• Supercharged
Front end Rebuild time
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 06:44:39 PM »
cool,what area are you from:xkeep the progress pics comeing;42

Offline silver1

• Four Barrel
Front end Rebuild time
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 08:20:27 PM »
Nice project
mate do yourself a favour and get some car stands,your makin me nervous

Offline demonx

• Fuel Injected
Front end Rebuild time
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009, 08:21:55 PM »
If that was mine those wheels would be gone even before I got the car running!

Looks good, the front clip looks a little bit strange on a 73 but you get used to it pretty quick.

I'd also recommend the small investment in a decent set of jack stands. That wood stack just looks like a serious accident in the making. I bought my stands from an engineer supply place for only $50 a pair. Same price as the thin pieces of sh#t you get from Autobarn, but they are industrial quality. It's worth shopping round.

Offline Scott

• Tri Powered
  • Shed Dweller
Front end Rebuild time
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2009, 08:36:00 PM »
More progress today.  I bolted the diff to the x-member and added some fresh oil.

Still got the little red tag ;-)

Using a trolley jack, the whole thing was carefully moved into place, jacked up, with the tailshaft slotted into place and the x-member bolted up.

Then the front diff mount was bolted on with a new poly mount.

I thought I'd gotten stuck putting in the bolt for the front diff mount but I could just get it in by lifting up the front of the diff.

I'm on the Gold Coast but don't expect to see the car on the road just yet :)

Edited 24/05/09 2.01pm Admin

Offline Scott

• Tri Powered
  • Shed Dweller
Front end Rebuild time
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2009, 08:46:03 PM »
Those are camaro wheels.  The rears are the wrong offset and needed spacers to fit.  The spacers on the car when I got it were multifit and had bent the wheel studs and snapped one. they will be changed.

As for 'stands'  they are very stable.  The blocks are 250 wide hardwood, so just as much base area as proper stands.  I did a lot of pushing and shaking of the car to check them out.  They are stable and the car has been sitting on them for over a year (which is part of the problem). The car isn't going anywhere.

Offline nifty

• Fuel Injected
Front end Rebuild time
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2009, 08:55:08 PM »
i like the 80 nose on a 73.... mate has one just like it in red....
have to agree with the camaro rims though.... if it were mine i would lose them quick smart, they a nice rim ON CAMAROS, but dont suit the vette.

Offline Scott

• Tri Powered
  • Shed Dweller
Front end Rebuild time
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2009, 11:58:37 PM »

I've been trying to get the seatbelts sorted today.  I sent an email off to Hemco, so hopefully I'll have the new belts soon.

I've also been cleaning up a few more parts.

Stub axles with new studs and a coat of paint.

Next step is getting the new bearings and what not installed on the stub axles and bolting the rear end back together.

Offline demonx

• Fuel Injected
Front end Rebuild time
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2009, 09:06:10 AM »
All looking pretty good.

I should get my lazy butt out the shed today and get some work done too! You're making me look bad!

Offline Scott

• Tri Powered
  • Shed Dweller
Front end Rebuild time
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2009, 10:14:12 AM »
Time for a new update. Last night I had the awesome job of re-installing the handbrake shoes.  Talk about a nightmare.  Using the dental floss trick, I finally managed to get one side done. I'm really not looking forward to doing the other side.  I have also cleaned up and lubricated the handbrake cables and put them back in.  I will have to re-bend the sheathes since my new trailing arms have relocated mounds for the handbrake cables.

I have a few pics on my phone with the trailing arms and half shafts installed, but I can't post them at work since most imaging websites are blocked.  I discovered that I have HD diff yokes from a bigblock, so the halfshaft u-bolts I bought are useless.  I also discovered that someone has replaced the rear camber arms with late 70's ones.  These have a larger bushing, so the ones I have are useless also.  I decided to wait a little before I buy them from the states to see if there are any other bits I need.  I have decided to get a set of billies to replace my shocks as well :22

I have had the seatbelts sitting there a while too waiting to be bolted in. Just need the time to play with it. At least bits are going back onto the car now, after a long time of only taking parts off.

Offline 69 DIRTY RAT

• Supercharged
    • http://www.ratpackmuscle.com/
Front end Rebuild time
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2009, 12:19:29 AM »
Please get rid of those spacers and the wheels! they can be dangerous. Thats probably why the wheel stud snapped, they put a lot of extra pressure on the studs! you've put a set of offset trail arms on so get some wider Rallye's! It will look very cool then:x
http://ratpackmuscle.com/ SCARY TOUGH MUSCLECARS

69 540ci, 755HP 734FtLb RAT, 629rwhp

*I LUV MY '69 ZL-1 540ci VETTE, AND SO DOES YOUR GIRLFRIEND!                   

Offline Scott

• Tri Powered
  • Shed Dweller
Front end Rebuild time
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2009, 11:33:41 AM »
Don't worry, those spacers won't be going anywhere near my new wheel studs.  They are a horrible design that will always bend the studs. No idea why anyone would buy them.

Offline Scott

• Tri Powered
  • Shed Dweller
Front end Rebuild time
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2009, 10:34:57 PM »
I finally got around to updating this thread.  Progress is still happening.  I have the rear going back together slowly, with a few hiccups along the way.  

I received a new stash of parts from VBandP.  They sent me a few parts I didn't ask for and billed me for them.  When I pointed this out, they decided return postage wasn't worth it, so they told me to keep them and re-imbursed me for the price of the parts.  Top service.

New Trailing arms in place.

A few pics of the rear end back together.

And my Brakes eady to go back together.  I have been waiting on an o-ring for where the halves join.  I didn't think it would be that difficult.

I just pulled out the glass rear spring for a trial fit.  It didn't go well... I now need to do a little research to find out what the hell is going on.

Offline gtc

• Supercharged
  • Car: 1970 454 Manual
Front end Rebuild time
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2009, 10:48:09 PM »
Great photos.

Good luck with the spring.
It's C3 chromie for me, see? Si!

Offline demonx

• Fuel Injected
Front end Rebuild time
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2009, 11:09:57 PM »
Quote from: Scott link=topic=6964.msg1045936222#msg1045936222

And my Brakes eady to go back together.  I have been waiting on an o-ring for where the halves join.  I didn't think it would be that difficult.

I have a few laying around - send me a PM if you get desperate.

Offline Scott

• Tri Powered
  • Shed Dweller
Front end Rebuild time
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2009, 09:01:49 AM »
Thanks, but I have the o-rings now.  

Also, it seems that my rear diff cover is off a 77-79 movel vette.  It only has 7/16 inch bolts whereas the earlier cover uses 9/16 bolts.  The later spring is also a little wider, so now I either need to get some shims to make it fit, or get the correct spring.  If I do get another spring, I might try get a shorter one to compliment my offset Trailing arms...

Anyone want to buy a brand new VBandP 360# (big block spec) composite spring?

Offline yellow fever 454

• Two Barrel
Front end Rebuild time
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2009, 12:14:24 PM »
Hi Scott
             I may be interested in your spring, you can call me on 0246770676.
         Cheers,  Bob.

Offline demonx

• Fuel Injected
Front end Rebuild time
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2009, 04:19:13 PM »
You have U2U in regards to the spring

Offline 72 (scarlet)

Front end Rebuild time
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2009, 07:04:35 PM »
im really interested in ur spring as im currently doing my whole undercarriage and im looking at getting a composite spring can u give me a call  0407509988 or send me ur number and ill call u thanks mate

Offline silver1

• Four Barrel
Front end Rebuild time
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2009, 09:50:29 PM »
Looks like auction time for the spring:smirk: