Author Topic: Custom Spare Wheel Holder  (Read 8764 times)

Offline mick

• Tri Powered
Custom Spare Wheel Holder
« on: October 11, 2009, 02:47:02 PM »
I decided it was time to start organising my spare wheel holder. Thanks to some good advice I got hold of some heavy duty cardboard and bolted in into the factory points at the front.

Now I just need to stare at it long enough to work out how to get a nice line to join to the lower part of the body so it dosent look like crap, this might take a while...;45

Offline silver1

• Four Barrel
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2009, 03:11:22 PM »

Now I just need to stare at it long enough to work out how to get a nice line to join to the lower part of the body so it dosent look like crap, this might take a while...;45

Just a thought How about following the lines of the rear beaver panel so it looks like one piece?

Offline mick

• Tri Powered
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2009, 03:18:20 PM »
Hey Silver thats exactly what I want to do, its just the linking it all together thats tricky.

Offline demonx

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2009, 04:29:40 PM »
I am by no means a traditionalist - but whats wrong with the original one?

Back to topic though:

What you are doing reminds me of a Torana drop tank... Maybe have a look at a few photos to see how they manage theirs.

Offline mick

• Tri Powered
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2009, 04:43:33 PM »
Hey demonX, hope your projects ticking along ok...

Main reason for update 115 litre aluminum tank in place of original (sits 2 inchs lower than stock).

My opinion.. but dont like the empty look of the back of a vette + If I make full width holder I can fit all my tools in there too.

295 rear tires, the holder im making will be adjustable and will accommodate them. It will sit lower at the rear if a 295 is in there but match up nicely with the 5.5 inch steel spare Ive got.

This is exactly what I was hoping for... just some honest conversation before I go to far 1 way or the other.

BTW.. Im thinking of powdercoating it the new matte black finish you see on a lot of Harleys at the moment, or mabye body colour but only if it really lines up with the body really well, which I seriously doubt the way its looking at the moment.

Offline demonx

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2009, 05:20:51 PM »
I would NOT do body colour. Could make the back of your car look like a massive bulge, like saddle bags on a fat chick.

Either chrome or polished metal or black would be my personal opinion.

Probably black like you said is most practical and easiest to achieve/maintain. I could imagine polished or chrome being a pain in the arse to keep clean!

It's funny that I read this today as earlier I was actually thinking of what I was going to do to dress my stock one up but still look reasonably original.

Offline mick

• Tri Powered
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2009, 06:00:19 PM »
Quote:- I would NOT do body colour. Could make the back of your car look like a massive bulge, like saddle bags on a fat chick

Good Point Thanks DemonX.....

Offline demonx

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2009, 07:02:15 PM »
Yeah - what made me think of that was about a month ago I did a respray on a Toyota. It had a grey/white two tone. I resprayed the whole lot white and it made it look like a body kit had been installed with all the extra colour.

If you were to put more blue under the car like that I reckon the whole rear end would look huge compared to stock. The eye would just make it look massive and it may or may not look good.

Food for thought.

I have pics of the toyota if you want to see the difference. It's a trick on the eye more than anything.

Edit: heres the pics

I had a look at what pics I took at the time. None really show what I'm talking about but if you have a look here you can see how much the tiny bit of extra paint makes so much difference to the eye.

Offline mick

• Tri Powered
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2009, 08:29:26 AM »
I see what you mean. Im thinking when ive made the thing it will be silver anyway. Ill take a pic and photoshop the colours options on there.

Offline silver1

• Four Barrel
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2009, 03:48:38 AM »
I don't think it would be to hard for a decent panel beater to make the cover for you[i'd try to find an older tradesman]it could be done in one piece and have it hinge down.
flat or matt black is easy,just spray the cover in black base coat and then when you clear it put flattening base in the clear,that way you will get the matt look but will be able to clean it after.You can also buy decent alloy spraynow and when cleared with good two pack clear it lasts, Vodafone touring cars has it on them.
Good luck Dave

Offline sirfixalot

• Fuel Injected
  • Committee Member & Tech Adviser C3-C4
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2009, 09:33:31 AM »
HI Mick
Maybee a little higher on the  side at front so tyre wont be visible from side. Perhaps another piece bent up vertical  

Offline mick

• Tri Powered
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2009, 12:41:12 PM »
Originally posted by sirfixalot
HI Mick
Maybee a little higher on the  side at front so tyre wont be visible from side. Perhaps another piece bent up vertical  

Definately!! I want it to be airtight(ish) so the jack and things like that dont rust.

I started cutting pieces out to fit in there on Sunday, but it got all too hard and the race was on.

That will be the main hurdle next weekend.