Author Topic: very pleased with seat belts  (Read 33658 times)

Offline bayley74

• Two Barrel
very pleased with seat belts
« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2009, 08:08:41 AM »
Hi Bob,
Thanks for the post. I purchased my vette approximately a year ago, before the Aus dollar crashed too much, i purchased it from a local guy who appears to be importing a few of them. It is LHD and i am leaving that way, for simplicity purposes. I hope to register it within the next few months, all depending on how much spare time i can put into it. I, like what appears to be happening to so many others am lost in the whole translation of what is and isn't required for registration. My local blue slip guy wont touch it without an engineers certificate, but another one in the next town apparently passes them without the engineers certificate. However when i rang NSW RTA, they said i will need an engineers certificate. I have already replaced all the front headlights, made the front indicators amber and rewired the rear tail lights so that i have amber blinkers and not red ones. I removed the smog pump, but left the charcoal canister, so hopefully that is all ok. I have recently purchased a few TPI setups and am thinking of replacing the old Rochester and presume that it may be better to get the TPI, seat belts and what ever else needs engineering approval all certified in the one go.
Bob, after your seat belt leaves the retractor, is there a fixed point any where up near you shoulder or head? or anything that fixes to the top of the 'B' frame (frame between roof and floor i think) to keep the seat belt up off your shoulder area? Also, is there any chance you could take a photo of your seat belts, the whole setup preferably? I dont mean go and rip up your carpet or anything, i just want to get an idea of the location of all the mounting points.
Thanks and I appreciate your help Bob and any other info that any one else can contribute.
Regards,
Jeff

Offline Reklaw

• Four Barrel
« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2009, 11:10:07 AM »
Hi Jeff, welcome to the world of beurocracy and interpretation. The following is a link to the RTA document on registration of 30 year old LHD vehicles. For registration, that is when you front up at the Registry, you don't have to present them with an Engineers Certificate. If it had been converted to RHD, different story. I guess your Blue Slip guy might want to see a Certificate, mainly to cover himself. The guy that I went to told me that he didn't need a Certificate, so I have never obtained one.
http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/downloads/vsi/vsi40_rev1.pdf
I went through all this 6 months ago. I'll send you a PM with my contact details if you want to discuss it.
Below is a photo showing the seat belt installed. Bear in mind this is a '75, so might be different to yours, I have not had experiance with a '79. I'm sure some others will be able to comment on this.

[/img]
Bob Walker
Long Jetty

Offline sirfixalot

• Fuel Injected
  • Committee Member & Tech Adviser C3-C4
« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2009, 02:47:42 PM »
I can supply belts & plates to suit a 79 no problem have recently done my 78
Geoff
All Vehicle Restraints

Offline bayley74

• Two Barrel
« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2009, 03:52:06 PM »
Thanks Bob for the reply and picture. I have been in touch with a  few of the club members today who are up on the regulations and have advised me that apparently Late 75 they changed the laws and all cars from then on have to get an engineers certificate, Ans also i just found out that it will cost around $1100 for the certificate. Just my luck. I have also noticed a response below form Geoff who can supply the seat belts for my year vehicle, so i will try that avenue.
Thanks again for your assistance.
Jeff

Offline Reklaw

• Four Barrel
« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2009, 05:07:52 PM »
Well, you have to make up your own mind about some of these things. That RTA document I referred to was dated October 2003, certainly later than 75, and is still current.
Bob Walker
Long Jetty

Offline bayley74

• Two Barrel
« Reply #45 on: June 16, 2009, 08:22:23 PM »
Thanks for the document Bob, i appreciate your effort. To make things worse, today i spoke to two recommended engineers and both had different rules as to whether my standard 79 seat belts were ok or not. I think for the sake of a few $100dollars, i am better off just changing them anyway. Better for insurance purposes as well i think.
I will keep you posted on how i go with the inspections.

Offline Smithy007

• Two Barrel
« Reply #46 on: June 16, 2009, 08:22:38 PM »
Originally posted by Reklaw
Well, you have to make up your own mind about some of these things. That RTA document I referred to was dated October 2003, certainly later than 75, and is still current.

Hi Jeff, I agree with Bob and the others and believe that unless it is RHD no certificate is required.  Best bet is physically go to the RTA and talk to the inspectors, build a rapport with them and get the info from the horses mouth.  I got mine done 6 months ago and the ONLY reason I needed certification was the VB&P suspension as it was not standard.  Just my 2c mate.  

Offline bayley74

• Two Barrel
« Reply #47 on: June 17, 2009, 09:05:16 AM »
Thanks Smithy007,
I went to the Hawkesbury blokes day on teh weekend where NSW Corvette's Unlimited had approximately 25 cars on display and spoke to a few guys there. They directed me to an engineer that most of them use called John Wilson form AKZ Engineering. I spoke to him yesterday and he was the one who advised me that all Corvette's form mid 75 on have to have an engineers certificate before they can get a blue slip. Apparently that is the law in NSW , however i have heard of others registering 78 models without getting an engineers certificate at all. Although i have never actually seen there car or paper work to confirm it. Either way, i believe that to cover my own backside, for registration and insurance purposes i am better off getting it all approved and certified. I also live next door to a mechanic who does the blue slips and he advised me that he wont touch it without an engineers certificate, and he pulled out a great big book of regulations that he received when he became a certified blue slip inspection station that says from mid 71 all vehicles need to comply with ADR regulations and will require an engineers certificate to show compliance before he is allowed to perform the blue slip inspection.

Thanks again for the input, unfortunately it appears as though it all depends on who you go to and how they are feeling at the time.
I will get it registered eventually!! :-)

Offline Reklaw

• Four Barrel
« Reply #48 on: June 17, 2009, 04:53:12 PM »
Hi Jeff, and you'll have to include Stamp Duty in your budgeting when you finally go for rego.
Bob Walker
Long Jetty

Offline reserved

• Four Barrel
« Reply #49 on: June 17, 2009, 10:32:45 PM »

;49;49;49;49
Although I am not an expert, I think you will only have to comply with the regulations that were in force at the time of manufacture of the vechicle, this should not be very much to comply with, you do not have to comply with todays regulations.

On the original subject of seatbelts, I am looking to buy some retractable ones and will probably purchase them fron Seatbelt Solutions in WA, as I have been told that they have belts to suit C3s.
;42 ;42 ;42

Offline silver1

• Four Barrel
« Reply #50 on: June 20, 2009, 06:40:23 PM »
Originally posted by demonx

Here's the offset bracket I made for the right side using the bracket provided from Hemco I mentioned in an earlier post ...

It's simply a seatbelt bolt & Nut with a few spacers to make it all work, then I place the seatbelt retractor plate over the exposed bolt and then screw down the nut with a spring washer.

The bracket will all be hidden under the carpet and the exposed bolt/nut will be hidden under the retractor's plastic cover. So it's all unseen and no-one would ever know.

Just fitted the same belts to my 77 and only had to re drill the  the mounting bracket on the RHS ,fits fine ;35

Offline bayley74

• Two Barrel
« Reply #51 on: June 21, 2009, 08:31:59 PM »
Thanks Silver,  for the reply. I did see that original picture and post, however due to the 78-82's being slightly different in the rear i didn't want to mount my seat belt retractor on the wheel arch in in the rear section.
Fortunately for a post reply by sirfixalot who has the same year model, he has already come up with a solution that mounts the retractor on the B frame. I will post a picture of the setup so that any one else who is considering this option can see what it looks like.

http://s290.photobucket.com/albums/ll271/jeffbayley/Cars/1979%20Corvette%20Stingray/th_DSC02598.jpg

Offline bayley74

• Two Barrel
« Reply #52 on: August 16, 2009, 09:28:26 AM »

Offline cam454

• Two Barrel
« Reply #53 on: February 28, 2010, 09:15:42 PM »
Hemco all the way, they made my experience all to easy. Had the belts on my door step within 48 hours of purchase.

Offline markekemp

« Reply #54 on: July 29, 2010, 09:34:07 AM »
Hi all , new here second post.
I bought seat belts from All Vehecle restraints (geoff 0417473492) . the brackets he suplied fitted perfect...and the belts.
its not often someone makes aftermarket products and fit fit that well. so I thought id let you guys know. how good his product is. ( he also put me onto this site

Offline ozpont

• Four Barrel
« Reply #55 on: July 30, 2010, 07:49:44 AM »
...have referred Hemco stacks of times over the years.. they are basically an employee buyout of the old TRW company as i know it and being primarily self employed they work pretty hard. For the record the # is 03 5334 12 13.

Offline sirfixalot

• Fuel Injected
  • Committee Member & Tech Adviser C3-C4
« Reply #56 on: July 30, 2010, 10:31:16 PM »
I supply seatbelts which are model & colour specific for corvettes  & are a direct fit replacement kit including all bolts, washers,plates,brackets as required.

Offline 87droptop

• Four Barrel
  • Mood: Always good !!
« Reply #57 on: October 28, 2010, 08:44:12 PM »
thanks mate, i was gonna post the question on how, what and where to get these.... will be calling them 2moro, cheers

Offline StephenSLR

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #58 on: September 05, 2012, 01:03:07 PM »
Quote from: sirfixalot link=topic=6722.msg1045937609#msg1045937609
I supply seatbelts which are model & colour specific for corvettes  & are a direct fit replacement kit including all bolts, washers,plates,brackets as required.

I recommend Geoff to anyone wanting to upgrade their belts.

My Mustang previously had lap belts in the front and he supplied and installed a set of Hemco lap-sash retractable belts for the front and a set of lap belts for the rear.

The Hemco colour selection is pretty good too.

All Vehicle Restraints - 0417 473 492

s