Author Topic: very pleased with seat belts  (Read 33648 times)

Offline silver1

• Four Barrel
very pleased with seat belts
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2008, 12:37:19 AM »
yep me to with act rego but i have changed them now because it needs to be done ;27

Offline Scott

• Tri Powered
  • Shed Dweller
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2008, 02:14:18 PM »
Originally posted by demonx
Which mount, there are three.

On the wheel arch and then either side of the seat.

Sorry, the one on the wheel arch.  What was required to fit a lapsash belt to a vert?  Did you need to drill the holes?

Offline WARFARIN

• Four Barrel
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2008, 10:41:28 PM »
USA belts of retractable type don't comply with Australian standards. The Aussie belts have two stop mechanisims.

You can't bolt the Hemco retractors in the factory position. In my case C3 '78 [coupe obviously] the angle of the retractor in the pillar stops it from working and its actually upside down.

I believe most mount the retractor around the rear wheel arch [aka convertible].

If there is another [better] way i would love to know.

Offline demonx

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2008, 06:20:19 AM »
Originally posted by WARFARIN
You can't bolt the Hemco retractors in the factory position. In my case C3 '78 [coupe obviously] the angle of the retractor in the pillar stops it from working and its actually upside down.

I believe most mount the retractor around the rear wheel arch [aka convertible].

If there is another [better] way i would love to know.

If you scroll upwards to the top of this thread, you'll see a pic I posted of a bracket I made to mount the Hemco belt into the factory hole. It's very simple.

Originally posted by Scott What was required to fit a lapsash belt to a vert?  Did you need to drill the holes?
Mine is a vert and the holes were already in the wheel arch.

I can take more pics if you need to know exact location as I have no interior in my car at the moment.

Offline Scott

• Tri Powered
  • Shed Dweller
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2008, 07:47:27 PM »
Originally posted by demonxMine is a vert and the holes were already in the wheel arch.

I can take more pics if you need to know exact location as I have no interior in my car at the moment.

If you get a chance, it'd be great if you could get a shot of the wheel arch mount and the front mount with the bracket and the belt mounted.  It'd be handy for future reference.

Cheers
Scott

Offline demonx

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2008, 04:22:56 PM »
Heres the pics...

Front:

Rear:

Offline Scott

• Tri Powered
  • Shed Dweller
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2008, 09:56:03 PM »
Thanks for that.  Looks a fair bit different to my 73 vert though.  My seatbelts bolt to the floor with the re-inforcecment plates on the underside of the floor. I'll have to pull up the carpet in the rear and have a look.

Offline demonx

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2008, 06:23:17 AM »
My advice would be to buy an assembly manual... you can get photocopied ones from ebay for sweet stuff all. Mine has definitely paid for itself already.

Offline Scott

• Tri Powered
  • Shed Dweller
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2008, 07:55:51 AM »
I only have a shop manual, and it doesn't mention the interior.  I'll have to look at getting an assemble manual to go with it.

Offline 76vette

• Two Barrel
« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2008, 01:53:27 PM »
:p

Confused about the Seat Belt issue??

I have a 76 Coupe & have had the engineer check it out for ADRs.
Now the seat belts are really causing me confusion The engineer said I can keep/use the orginal, lap sash (2 reels, one in the floor the other on the wheel arch but both are joined at the buckle so I guess its classed as one peice.

I have also spoked to Hemco & are keen to get theirs..

I am in the ACT also so has anyone had a C3 registered with the orginal belts???

Also I had to keep the Back up lights White/Clear even though I have used the the same housing for indicators (amber in the same light fitting) The ADR states Reversing can be clear or Amber....

Offline Smithy007

• Two Barrel
« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2008, 06:36:56 PM »
Originally posted by 76vette

I am in the ACT also so has anyone had a C3 registered with the orginal belts???

Also I had to keep the Back up lights White/Clear even though I have used the the same housing for indicators (amber in the same light fitting) The ADR states Reversing can be clear or Amber....

All I can say is it will be pot luck with the belts when you go over the pits with the RTA.  Some will let you go, some won't.  It's one of those straight answers you never get from any RTA.  The rear lights are another mystery.  I intent to have rear reverse as amber with indicators together.  Make sure your front indicators are white/clear. (that's their current flavor of the month)  I'm tossing up about an engineer, but think that I'll just put mine over and let them sort out what is needed in their opinion and go from there.

Let me know if you need anything else as I'm in the ACT too.  More than happy to help ;54

Offline 76vette

• Two Barrel
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2008, 05:40:56 AM »
Thanks for the reply I will let all know how I go once I get to the pits.
I have 2 to register (one manual & one auto) both had a couple of diferent ADR requirements. Its annoying that I had to pay $600.00 ea for a engineer report for a factory mass produced car that basically only needs a few lights changed.

Offline reserved

• Four Barrel
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2008, 08:58:49 PM »
Thanks for the reply I will let all know how I go once I get to the pits.
I have 2 to register (one manual & one auto) both had a couple of diferent ADR requirements. Its annoying that I had to pay $600.00 ea for a engineer report for a factory mass produced car that basically only needs a few lights changed.

:p
You should not need an engineers report unless you have carried out modifications such as a right hand conversion or any other major modificatons. Just get a Blue Slip.
:x

Offline demonx

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2008, 09:58:05 PM »
Originally posted by reserved:p
You should not need an engineers report unless you have carried out modifications such as a right hand conversion or any other major modificatons. Just get a Blue Slip.

That is incorrect. You need an engineers cert for any car manufactured after 1969. If you have a 1968 or before you don't need the cert, only a RWC.

Offline Reklaw

• Four Barrel
« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2008, 09:30:56 PM »
Depends on where you are, how old the car is and whether or not it's been converted. In NSW, to register a car that is over 30 years old, and is to registered as LHD, an Engineers Certificate is not required. RTA Vehicle Standards document 40, titled Registration of Left Hand Drive Vehicles, refers. I have just been through the process with a LHD '75.
Bob Walker
Long Jetty

Offline Smithy007

• Two Barrel
« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2008, 09:33:44 PM »
Originally posted by demonx
Originally posted by reserved:p

That is incorrect. You need an engineers cert for any car manufactured after 1969. If you have a 1968 or before you don't need the cert, only a RWC.

Sorry dude, in the ACT, no engineer is required unless modifications are made to the vehicle.  That does not include putting Aust standard belts and lights in.  If it is mechanically modified from original, then yes, a report is required.  If the car has NEVER been registered anywhere, then a trip over the pits is required.  Interstate buys previously registered (LHD or RHD), just a RWC is required.  Make sense???  ;43

Offline 76vette

• Two Barrel
« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2008, 09:48:03 PM »
Yep thats correct! at least as far as ACT & NSW rego is concerned. Both Corvettes are LHD & I have been to rego and spoke to both Tech Standards and the Pit Guru (who will remain nameless), as he is the only one in my 25 odd years of Chevs that will talk to you & cut the Bulls@#t.

The rule is as both cars are imports they now need a engineers report all be it for basic stuff.

I get the feeling that this is now the norm Nationally if we want to get our 30yr old cars registered.
But hey its better than having to pay $1000s for a conversion or stuck with club rego like the old days.
I'll post a list/info once I get one of the Vettes thru hopefully to help others and clear the fog, also some engineers charge for re-checks or additional visits.

Offline demonx

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2008, 10:52:57 PM »
I'll post a list/info once I get one of the Vettes thru hopefully to help others and clear the fog, also some engineers charge for re-checks or additional visits.

The pre requisites vary depending on the year. It's best to speak to the engineer doing the cert to find out what "they" want done for your year model.  

Offline bayley74

• Two Barrel
« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2009, 12:07:19 PM »
Hello, This is my first post so i hope i get it right.
I have a 79 C3 and am also going through the process of changing parts over to meet ADR compliance. I live in Sydney and have been trying to figure out who does the seat belts and how i install them. I have come across two companies from Melbourne, Hemco and Autoliv. Unfortunately neither do a direct replacement for the 79-82's due to the the retractor part being located up the top of the B frame behind the interior trim. Demonx i saw your pictures, however is your floor pan any different to the 78-82's and also if i mount the retractor horizontally to the floor near the rear wheel arches, what holds the belt in place up near the shoulder?  I should also mention that this is my first Corvette, so i may be a little naive on the terminology and accuracy of my statements. Has any one does the conversion on the 78-82's and do they have any pics, tips, or advice they can offer on what ios the best solution to fitting ADR seat belts on my model Corvette/
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Ragards,
Jeff

Offline Reklaw

• Four Barrel
« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2009, 02:11:11 PM »
Hi Jeff, you got right first time. Well done, better than my first attempt.
I replaced the belts in my '75 for rego about a year ago. Don't know if '75 is the same as yours or not. I bought Hemco belts for mine. I threw away the packaging, so I don't know the part # now, just remember that I had to ask for 230mm stalks. The Hemco belts pull in a different direction so, for the retractor mounted over the wheel arch, I made up 1/4 inch thick steel angle brackets. Drilled one hole for the body mount, another for the retractor mount. Pretty simple really. Pity I don't have photos.
Are you registering LHD or RHD? (and I'm presuming the car is a recent import) If RHD, it will have to be Engineered, questions may be asked about the seat belt mounting. If LHD, it only needs a Blue Slip. It's unlikely that the Blue Slip guy will want you to pull the trim apart so he can inspect the seat belt mounts.
Hope this helps.
Bob Walker
Long Jetty