Author Topic: very pleased with seat belts  (Read 33407 times)

Offline demonx

• Fuel Injected
very pleased with seat belts
« on: August 27, 2008, 09:53:54 PM »
Since there seems to be a lot of guys bringing in cars from the USA I figured I'd share with you my contact for getting Australian compliant seatbelts straight from the Manufacturer.

Hemco is the Manufacturer and they are located 5 min drive from me.

Wayne Fitzgerald is the guy to call, he's the Sales Manager. I spoke to him today and he's happy to post out belt kits for you guys.

(03) 5334 1213
email: hemco.wayne@bigpond.com

118 Learmonth Street
Ballarat VIC 3350

They have both retractable and lap sash. Make sure to ask for 1/2" bolts as the normal kits come with the Aussie metric and won't fit your vette.

I paid $110 for my retractable belts with all the bolts, spring washers, spacers etc.

Hope this helps.

Offline Thunder Kiss

• Four Barrel
    • http://photobucket.com/albums/v290/ThunderKiss/
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008, 10:00:12 PM »
They've been around for a while too.  My C4 was converted around 10 years ago and it has Hemco belts.

Offline silver1

• Four Barrel
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2008, 07:54:25 AM »
Thanks Demonx just the info I need

Offline Scott

• Tri Powered
  • Shed Dweller
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2008, 01:31:14 PM »
Very Handy to know.
Thanks a lot.  I had forgotten I still need seatbelts.

Offline demonx

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2008, 03:17:46 PM »
There are a lot of other businesses selling seatbelts, but most of them buy from Hemco, so you're just cutting out the middle man and saving a few bucks at the same time.

Offline silver1

• Four Barrel
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2008, 10:27:56 PM »
I  called them today and I was suprised to actually talk to someone who knows their buisness for a change.
Thanks again;42
the new belts are on there way

Offline WARFARIN

• Four Barrel
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2008, 08:42:09 PM »
I copied the e-mail address and had a reply by phone before I had taken my hand of the "mouse"!

Funny how they are not called "Rats"??

Offline demonx

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2008, 09:11:52 PM »
There is a reason I recommend them!

They are great to deal with!

One thing I did forget to mention... Anyone that has a C3 and is mounting the right side retractable seatbelt will need to fit an offset bracket as the belt mount is 4cm on one side and 5 cm on the other. You can either redrill the mount on the seatbelt or offset it with a bracket.

Hemco gave me one for free. I think he said its a tractor bracket, then I simply cut it back.

I can photograph if needed. Only takes a few seconds so it's not a big issue.

Offline Smithy007

• Two Barrel
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2008, 10:09:06 PM »
Originally posted by demonx
There is a reason I recommend them!

They are great to deal with!

One thing I did forget to mention... Anyone that has a C3 and is mounting the right side retractable seatbelt will need to fit an offset bracket as the belt mount is 4cm on one side and 5 cm on the other. You can either redrill the mount on the seatbelt or offset it with a bracket.

Hemco gave me one for free. I think he said its a tractor bracket, then I simply cut it back.

I can photograph if needed. Only takes a few seconds so it's not a big issue.

Are you running lap only or lap/sash in the convertible ????  I didn't think that a lap sash would mount.

Offline demonx

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2008, 10:16:46 PM »
I bought a retractable lap sash.

There's 3 mount holes for each belt, one on the rear wheel arch, then one either side of the seat.

Offline Smithy007

• Two Barrel
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2008, 10:19:37 PM »
hummmm, interesting. thought the height (or lack there of) for over shoulder mounting and then under the rear hatch would be an issue, but there you go.

Offline nifty

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2008, 10:57:40 AM »
mate with a 69 got his fitted in adelaide....750 bucks.... needed a hole drilling for the top bolt as no such animal on the 69......his originally just had a lap belt.

Offline demonx

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2008, 04:40:41 PM »
Originally posted by nifty
mate with a 69 got his fitted in adelaide....750 bucks....

HOLY sh#t!!! - So maybe I should have posted this earlier!

For seatbelts that are only $220 (inc GST) a pair thats a $530 markup for drilling a couple of holes and bolting in 6 bolts. Jeeez... I'd be avoiding who-ever did that by a long shot.

Maybe I should have not posted this and then gone into the seatblelt business! hahahha

Offline nifty

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2008, 01:13:06 AM »
exactly..... but it did come with a letter of compliance for rego.....as was needed in s.a. otherwise no rego....
bit like when i built my rumpus room....i HAD to have a builder look at the noggins to confirm they were the reqd distance apart...
this bloke came in and  had a LOOK, didnt take any measurements and cost me 150 bucks for his signature...he was there less than a minute.
but thats what i had to do,otherwise no rumpus room..... sux but a fact of life...
im not a member of the boys club whereas the builder was.....

Offline demonx

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2008, 06:30:38 PM »

Here's the offset bracket I made for the right side using the bracket provided from Hemco I mentioned in an earlier post ...

It's simply a seatbelt bolt & Nut with a few spacers to make it all work, then I place the seatbelt retractor plate over the exposed bolt and then screw down the nut with a spring washer.

The bracket will all be hidden under the carpet and the exposed bolt/nut will be hidden under the retractor's plastic cover. So it's all unseen and no-one would ever know.

Offline sirfixalot

• Fuel Injected
  • Committee Member & Tech Adviser C3-C4
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2008, 10:23:52 PM »
I can supply autoliv (klippan) belts at competitive prices Prices depend on orientation of retractor & length of stalk

Offline Scott

• Tri Powered
  • Shed Dweller
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2008, 08:18:55 PM »
Sorry to thread dig, but would you be able to provide some pictures of the seatbelt setup, especially the mounting point for the sash.  I need to sort the seatbelts for my vert out and was wondering where you bolted the sash strap to.

Thanks
Scott

Offline demonx

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2008, 09:24:14 PM »
Which mount, there are three.

On the wheel arch and then either side of the seat.

Offline MADLT1

• Supercharged
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2008, 12:36:42 PM »
i recall when i got mine regoed about 13 year ago cause mine came striaght from the states with lap sash belts,i went to the wreckers got a set of retractables out of a cortina of all cars,cost 50 bucks,after rego i put a new set of gm repro lap sash belts date coded back in it,they cost a small fortune from memory ,and it has been that way ever since,mine is a 71 so the bolt holes were allready there;ay

Offline humphbri

• Two Barrel
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2008, 03:55:37 PM »
:x

Or you can get lucky like me. My 75 convertible passed rego in Canberra without anyone checking the seat belts. Long story, but the engineer and the rego guys were fighting over yellow vrs white reversing lights and both forgot to check the belts, so mine passed with just the original lap belts. I'll install some 2001 Camaro belts I bought over the net when I have the time to install pass-through bezels in the seat backs.

Cheers