Author Topic: Canberra upholster  (Read 3927 times)

Offline Smithy007

• Two Barrel
Canberra upholster
« on: August 23, 2008, 08:41:41 PM »
For those in Canberra, couple of questions.

1. Does anyone know a good upholster who can do the seats in my 72; and
2. Should I get new foam inserts; (almost a given answer I know)
3. How much??

I have new covers and carpets and want to get that out of the way before the new project arrives.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Cheers :x

Offline BOSCHVETTE

• Tri Powered
Canberra upholster
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2008, 09:52:22 PM »
hi smithy
steves upholstery in Isa st fyshwich is the place to go Marty there does alot of the top street machines going around.and yes get new cushions.
New toy about to breath life and we will have a strangle hold on the leadfoot forever 850hp 1150kg Australian sports sedan series here we come.
Z06 sports sedan about to be semi retired.
Old C4 weapon now retired to the garage
450 RWHP WITH MORE TORQUE THAN MUNDINE
BUT IT LOOKS LIKE YOU HAVE BOUGHT A BAG OF ROCKS TO A GUN FIGHT.....

Offline Smithy007

• Two Barrel
Canberra upholster
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2008, 10:09:13 PM »
Originally posted by BOSCHVETTE
hi smithy
steves upholstery in Isa st fyshwich is the place to go Marty there does alot of the top street machines going around.and yes get new cushions.

Excellent, thanks mate.

Offline demonx

• Fuel Injected
Canberra upholster
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2008, 10:12:50 PM »
Why not do them yourself? From a lot of the guides I've read its something anyone can do with a bit of patience and I've seen lots of pics on another forum of everyday guys redoing their own seats with great success. I'll be doing mine soon myself..

I've read to use zip ties to help get the cover tight. Apparently it makes to world of difference.

Also - I've seen pics of seats recovered over the old foam - DON'T DO IT. Spend the extra and get new foam. Otherwise the cover will look loose and saggy. Not very desirable.

Here is a site that has heaps of helpful hints on all sorts of vette related maintenance: http://www.corvettemagazine.com/content/view/18/28/

If you scroll down to the interior section you'll find help on both carpet and seats. I've been saved plenty of times by articles on that site. Bookmark it. You'll use it often!

Also one more hint: when removing the seats, I was stuffing around for ages trying to remove the rear bolts. It had me buggered how to get the suckers out. Then I realised I could simply slide the seat forward and had very easy access. This might save you a bit of "what the hell" if you're as slow as I am!!!

Lete us know how you go - and post pics!

Offline Smithy007

• Two Barrel
Canberra upholster
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2008, 09:07:03 AM »
Originally posted by demonx
Why not do them yourself? From a lot of the guides I've read its something anyone can do with a bit of patience and I've seen lots of pics on another forum of everyday guys redoing their own seats with great success. I'll be doing mine soon myself..

I've read to use zip ties to help get the cover tight. Apparently it makes to world of difference.

Also - I've seen pics of seats recovered over the old foam - DON'T DO IT. Spend the extra and get new foam. Otherwise the cover will look loose and saggy. Not very desirable.

Here is a site that has heaps of helpful hints on all sorts of vette related maintenance: http://www.corvettemagazine.com/content/view/18/28/

If you scroll down to the interior section you'll find help on both carpet and seats. I've been saved plenty of times by articles on that site. Bookmark it. You'll use it often!

Also one more hint: when removing the seats, I was stuffing around for ages trying to remove the rear bolts. It had me buggered how to get the suckers out. Then I realised I could simply slide the seat forward and had very easy access. This might save you a bit of "what the hell" if you're as slow as I am!!!

Lete us know how you go - and post pics!

Cheers for the link mate.

I will be putting in new foam with the container along with some other stuff to save on a bit of freight, so photos will be a while.  Might as well give it a crack, worse case and I stuff it, it'll take longer.  Oh well, more time in the garage ;)

Offline silver1

• Four Barrel
Canberra upholster
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2008, 09:10:26 AM »
Originally posted by BOSCHVETTE
hi smithy

;51