Author Topic: My 69 L88 story so far....."Warning".....this is a very boring post!  (Read 24176 times)

Offline RubyZR1

• Two Barrel
(From the original e-bay thread........)

Hi Andy (69 Dirty Rat) how are you doing?

This 69 L88 is identical to mine except for the few extra miles on it (16670) and the factory side pipes (an option I simply had to have).

FWIW, a red/blk 69 L88 roadster I did'nt buy back in June 2004 recently sold by Mecum Auctions in June 2008 for $435000US.

These 69 L88's still have a way to go before they bring the same kind of money that a 1971 Ford GTHO Phase 3 brings here in Oz.

I wonder whether this late 60's early 70's muscle car craze will continue after our generation has passed on? Time will tell I guess;42

Wayne

Offline RubyZR1

• Two Barrel
My 69 L88 story so far....."Warning".....this is a very boring post!
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2008, 08:33:27 AM »
Originally posted by RubyZR1
Hi Andy (69 Dirty Rat) how are you doing?

This 69 L88 is identical to mine except for the few extra miles on it (16670) and the factory side pipes (an option I simply had to have).

FWIW, a red/blk 69 L88 roadster I did'nt buy back in June 2004 recently sold by Mecum Auctions in June 2008 for $435000US.

These 69 L88's still have a way to go before they bring the same kind of money that a 1971 Ford GTHO Phase 3 brings here in Oz.

I wonder whether this late 60's early 70's muscle car craze will continue after our generation has passed on? Time will tell I guess;42

Wayne

An engine pic FWIW....sorry I was'nt sure how to add more than one pic to my thread.;42

Offline 69 DIRTY RAT

• Supercharged
    • http://www.ratpackmuscle.com/
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2008, 03:05:28 PM »
I'm jealous!!!! BEAUTIFUL! I reakon the GTHO is way overpriced compared to some better US muscle cars of the same period! Believe it or not I could have bought a GTHO in the US back in 2000 for $15K yes 15K! I got no idea why it was there but according the the sign/desciption that was attached it was real (but he may have lied to sell the car???), I just didnt have any spare cash and the boom had not started here yet! I could be rich by now!
http://ratpackmuscle.com/ SCARY TOUGH MUSCLECARS

69 540ci, 755HP 734FtLb RAT, 629rwhp

*I LUV MY '69 ZL-1 540ci VETTE, AND SO DOES YOUR GIRLFRIEND!                   

Offline demonx

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2008, 04:11:12 PM »
Jealous! That cars cleaner than my house!

Very very nice ride you have there.

Offline nifty

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2008, 04:31:57 PM »
both awsome cars.....pitty they dont get driven,which to me is an insult to the car.....no offence runy...sure its worth some money...but only if its for sale and finds a buyer.....,other than that its a waste to have lying around doing nothing....

Offline 69 DIRTY RAT

• Supercharged
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2008, 08:55:15 PM »
The only problem with driving it on the street means it will overheat! unless you put a fan shroud it wont drive far!

Offline jolinari

• Supercharged
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2008, 10:18:38 PM »
Originally posted by 69 DIRTY RAT
I could have bought a GTHO in the US back in 2000 for $15K yes 15K! I got no idea why it was there but according the the sign/desciption that was attached it was real (but he may have lied to sell the car???), I just didnt have any spare cash and the boom had not started here yet! I could be rich by now!

well even if you bought it at that price and was not genuine, you would have till made a fortune

hey wayne have you ever had that car judged with NCRS?

Offline nifty

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2008, 12:36:23 AM »
i see your point dirty rat.....its turely an awesome car, and too think its been tucked away. ive never heard of it,nor any of my vette friends....we all know about the silver L88, but this particular car looks to be in better cond...does it have any history? race car perhaps?

Offline gtc

• Supercharged
  • Car: 1970 454 Manual
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2008, 01:11:07 AM »
 Believe it or not I could have bought a GTHO in the US back in 2000 for $15K yes 15K! I got no idea why it was there but according the the sign/desciption that was attached it was real (but he may have lied to sell the car???),

As the saying goes, curiously today there are more XU-1s and GTHOs in existence than ever came off the Holden and Ford production lines.
It's C3 chromie for me, see? Si!

Offline RubyZR1

• Two Barrel
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2008, 07:52:48 AM »
Thanks for your comments guys, esp Andy.

As you no doubt know, pics don't reveal all the "warts" meaning imperfections on a car.

This L88 was never raced, well the history I have indicates that. The documentation that accompanies this car is very comprehensive (sorry to sound like I'm pounding my chest guys). I have the original bill of sale and finance contract to the first owner, ownership transfers & titles b/n the first three owners, annual mileage declarations up until circa 1990 evidencing the 16635 mileage as shown on its speedo, Corvette Order Copy (commonly referred to as the tank sticker), Car Shipper Copy, what I believe is called the Moroney Report (which looks like a carbon copy of the Car Shipper Copy), a photo album containing many happy snaps of the first and third owners with the car, pics of the engine rebuild by the third owner completed circa 1989, its NCRS Top Flight Certificates when it was judged by the third owner back in 1989 & 1990, its Bloomington Gold "Silver" Certificate when it was judged in 1990...it did'nt make the "Gold Award" due to the poor engine re-stamping when the engine was rebuilt in 1989, and many other pics inc. one showing the remains of the original tank sticker on its fuel tank (which is still in car btw).

Unfortunatley I don't have my L88's original Protect-O-Plate that would complete the documentation set for this L88.

I have tried to communicate with its first owner, but for his own reasons he refuses to liase with me. I have spoken & emailed the third owner many times, and that's how I got the NCRS and Bloomington Gold Certificates for this L88.

My L88 was sold via Proteam Corvette in Napolean Ohio back in 1990-91, and I now have a copy of the advertisement, courtesy of Terry Michaelis.

Unfortunatley, due to strict privacy provisions in the USA I have been thwarted in "filling-in-the-gaps" of the ownership of my L88. For instance, like the first US owner, its two Canadian owners will not allow their details to be provided to me. I don't want to contact them, just record their details for future custodians of this L88.

Joe, I have not had my L88 judged by NCRS, although Murray is very keen for me to have it done.

I'm not a trophy hunter (No disrespect intended to those guys here that have, or intend having their cars judged by NCRS), however; there are some items that require attention on my L88 before I'd consider having it NCRS'd in Oz.

This L88 was repainted by its first owner in 1986 just prior to him selling it (not a body off restoration) . This car has suffered the usual vagries of BB corvettes, meaning it has small fractures in the front clip behind the headlights, the window rubbers are hard, etc.

Although only a low mileage car, the drivers seat has two rips in it, one where your right butt cheek meets the seat upon entry (my L88 does'nt have the telescoping steering wheel option unfortunately), and the second on the lower section of the seat back. I have left these "as is" because it's the cars original trim. It still has all its original factory chalk markings on the chassis.

Crickey, I've written a "war & peace"...if you've read this far I'm sorry to have bored you with my ramblings.
;42
Wayne

Offline BOSCHVETTE

• Tri Powered
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2008, 08:51:29 AM »
rubyZR1
you are the new god of this site. i had no idea that there was two L88's in oz i thought the only only was the silver 69 in qld.please give us the story on who what how and where you got this sweet car as i would love to see and hear more about it.
THE L88 IS STILL THE KING AND LONG LIVE THIS KING.
New toy about to breath life and we will have a strangle hold on the leadfoot forever 850hp 1150kg Australian sports sedan series here we come.
Z06 sports sedan about to be semi retired.
Old C4 weapon now retired to the garage
450 RWHP WITH MORE TORQUE THAN MUNDINE
BUT IT LOOKS LIKE YOU HAVE BOUGHT A BAG OF ROCKS TO A GUN FIGHT.....

Offline nifty

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2008, 09:32:07 AM »
totally agree bosche..... MORE PICS of what just about everyone wants to own,
what a machine....... more pics im starting to salivate......

Offline 69 DIRTY RAT

• Supercharged
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2008, 11:43:32 PM »
Hey RubyZR1 was that you I spoke to a few years back on Kevin Suydam's ZL-1 forum site (which doesnt exist now??)

Offline jolinari

• Supercharged
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2008, 11:57:37 PM »

Joe, I have not had my L88 judged by NCRS, although Murray is very keen for me to have it done.

I'm not a trophy hunter (No disrespect intended to those guys here that have, or intend having their cars judged by NCRS), however; there are some items that require attention on my L88 before I'd consider having it NCRS'd in Oz.

When it comes to NCRS it is not about being a trophy hunter it is different from other judging..It is about showing your pride and joy and share the information with other vettes enthusatic, because afterall it is a special car that you have.

You should brought your car at the NCRS melbourne chapter :{

by the way do you still have the original tyres?

Offline Cameron 77C3

• Supercharged
  • I use to live here
    • http://xtremecarzone.com.au/
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2008, 12:05:24 AM »
Wayne,

If you want a bunch of pictures posted up just e-mail them to me and I'll set up a picture galley account for you and put them up, then give you the password to the gallery so you can add more later.  CLICK ME to e-mail Cam. ;42

I think the boys want to see and hear a whole lot more about this machine.

Cam
To see my picture galleryCLICK ME

Never underestimate PRISCILLA queen of the vette's
www.xcz.com.au

Offline nifty

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2008, 08:43:06 AM »
that would be an understatment cam..... starting to get a chubby just looking at it.....

Offline RubyZR1

• Two Barrel
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2008, 09:00:17 AM »
Hey RubyZR1 was that you I spoke to a few years back on Kevin Suydam's ZL-1 forum site (which doesnt exist now??)  

Hello Andy, I do remember Kevin Suydam's website existed some years ago. He has or had some very nice cars in his collection. Sorry Andy, I don't recall ever posting a thread on Kevin's website.
Wayne

Offline demonx

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2008, 09:00:26 AM »
Originally posted by Cameron 77C3

Cam

+1 ...

I'm still jealous!

Offline RubyZR1

• Two Barrel
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2008, 09:28:19 AM »
Originally posted by jolinari

When it comes to NCRS it is not about being a trophy hunter it is different from other judging..It is about showing your pride and joy and share the information with other vettes enthusatic, because afterall it is a special car that you have.

You should brought your car at the NCRS melbourne chapter :{

by the way do you still have the original tyres?

Joe, I owe all here an apoligy for my poor choice of words in the above post.

The reason why I did'nt have my car NCRS Flight Judged at Sandown in Melbourne 2006, is because I am just plain lazy.

As previously stated, my car requires quite a few little odds and ends.

Although I did state I am not a trophy hunter, I believe if I am to submit it for Flight Judging by the NCRS I should present it as best as I am able....I guess I just contradicted myself Joe;-)

My car does not have its original tyres Joe. That's one of the "little odds and ends" I was referring to above.

FWIW Joe, it was me that had breakfast with you on the  saturday morning prior to the NCRS festivities kicking off.

Do you still have your lovely red roadster?
Wayne;42

Offline RubyZR1

• Two Barrel
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2008, 09:36:53 AM »
Originally posted by Cameron 77C3
Wayne,

If you want a bunch of pictures posted up just e-mail them to me and I'll set up a picture galley account for you and put them up, then give you the password to the gallery so you can add more later.  CLICK ME to e-mail Cam. ;42

Cam

Thankyou for your assistance Cam.

Email with pics attached sent;42

The story of how I came by my L88 is'nt riveting reading really. It's pretty much the same as how most members here came by their corvette's. I will try and post something shortly.
Wayne;42