Author Topic: Real C3 For sale  (Read 5686 times)

Offline RJ7868

• Tri Powered
    • http://www.rustys.com.au
Real C3 For sale
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008, 02:25:59 PM »
From the words of Pauline Hanson:

"I don't like it"

:23:23
Skype Username: rusdeb

Offline gtc

• Supercharged
  • Car: 1970 454 Manual
Real C3 For sale
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2008, 03:11:21 PM »
Real? The only thing "real" about it IMO is that it's real ugly.

Give me the unaltered classic lines of the early C3 everytime.
It's C3 chromie for me, see? Si!

Offline BlueVette

• Two Barrel
Real C3 For sale
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2008, 04:01:57 PM »
Originally posted by gtc
Real? The only thing "real" about it IMO is that it's real ugly.

Give me the unaltered classic lines of the early C3 everytime.

Well, I would not call it just ugly.
It is real FUGLY! imho;42
All 1968s carry the stigma of being "the worse quality" of all Corvettes.

Offline RHD.68.l89

• Four Barrel
    • www.invisiblecarbras.com.au
Real C3 For sale
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2008, 09:36:17 PM »
Pity the advertiser didn't post the full stamp pad. $25K for a genuine L88 is a steal, especially with a documented race history and still the original block if he is to believed.

Offline Thunder Kiss

• Four Barrel
    • http://photobucket.com/albums/v290/ThunderKiss/
Real C3 For sale
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2008, 09:55:37 PM »
I don't think the photos do this car justice.  The owner joined us for a BBQ last year (before he re-painted it) and you could hear him coming a mile away.  It's a tough car!

Here's a photo of his dad racing it back in the 1970's

Offline mick

• Tri Powered
Real C3 For sale
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2008, 08:24:13 AM »
tempting to put a bid at 25k and just see what happens. :24

Offline demonx

• Fuel Injected
Real C3 For sale
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2008, 04:29:11 PM »
Originally posted by mick
tempting to put a bid at 25k and just see what happens. :24

I'm not tempted!

Offline bootlegger

• Tri Powered
Real C3 For sale
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2008, 08:29:39 PM »
It may not be everyones cup of tea looks wise. A production car (even an L88) is merely one of many but a genuine race car (especially an L88) with history is way more valuable than its standard counterpart. You guys are trying to compare it to some bastardized 70's custom hotrod. This is a purpose built racecar. What is even more cool is that this car has had the same owner since the mid 70's. This car is special. The Icing on the cake would be evidence of its US race history (especially if it was successful).
I recently bought an old race car from the original owner (Warwick Holyoak). He bought it new in 1958 from Italy. Drove it all over Europe and then shipped it here. After that he converted it to a race car constantly developing it till it didnt look anything like the original. Eventually he had racecar builder Stan Brown build an aluminium body for it. In this form it held the 61/62 lap record at Oran Park (58 seconds). He stopped racing it in 65 and parked it in the shed until I got it 6 months ago. Included in the sale was all the documentation to support the cars history including the sales receipt and Italian number plates.
Im restoring the car as we speak.
THE CAR YOU ASK. A Stretched Fiat 500 Bambino fitted with a Worked Austin Healey Sprite Motor. Named the Abarth Sprite it was Bright Purple Mettalic with Yellow Gt stripes
Its Butt ugly but I fell in love with it and with a top speed of over 100mph it should surprise a few knockers.
My point is if that Vette goes for $25000 no matter how ugly you think it is it will be a bargain. The value is in the history, Its Unique. I wish I was cashed up.:{ Dave

Offline 69 DIRTY RAT

• Supercharged
    • http://www.ratpackmuscle.com/
Real C3 For sale
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2008, 09:05:26 PM »
You would need to get paperwork, the last racecar the son sold also said real L88, but wasnt a real L88 just the engine was! It was still a good racecar though. I imagine this vette to be the same? As ugly as it is, if it were real it would be worth 100's of thousands of dollars, especially if he sold it in the US! RHD brings the price down a bit. Also greenwood didnt have this style in 68 yet, so its been retro fitted. But some Vettes were retro fitted in Greenwood kits back in 72ish. I can guarentee that $25000 is not the sale price, the last L88 went for around $60000ish for an non real L88. so I would imagine if non real it would go for similar?
http://ratpackmuscle.com/ SCARY TOUGH MUSCLECARS

69 540ci, 755HP 734FtLb RAT, 629rwhp

*I LUV MY '69 ZL-1 540ci VETTE, AND SO DOES YOUR GIRLFRIEND!                   

Offline Thunder Kiss

• Four Barrel
    • http://photobucket.com/albums/v290/ThunderKiss/
Real C3 For sale
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2008, 10:28:10 AM »
It's been relisted for $45,000 with no reserve.

Offline RubyZR1

• Two Barrel
Real C3 For sale
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2008, 12:18:20 PM »
Originally posted by 69 DIRTY RAT
You would need to get paperwork, the last racecar the son sold also said real L88, but wasnt a real L88 just the engine was! It was still a good racecar though. I imagine this vette to be the same? As ugly as it is, if it were real it would be worth 100's of thousands of dollars, especially if he sold it in the US! RHD brings the price down a bit. Also greenwood didnt have this style in 68 yet, so its been retro fitted. But some Vettes were retro fitted in Greenwood kits back in 72ish. I can guarentee that $25000 is not the sale price, the last L88 went for around $60000ish for an non real L88. so I would imagine if non real it would go for similar?

Hi Andy, do you know if anybody has ever inspected this L88 Race Corvettes' provenance?

If it was the real deal as evidenced by a tank sticker (Corvette Order Copy) and/or a Car Shipper Copy; then it would be worth the dollars you say....if anyone needs proof just ask Andrew Mieckle about his 69 L88 with former race history. Andrews' L88 has been in Oz since the 1970's IIRC.

A few years ago there was a restored 1968 Dow Corning L88 Corvette Race Car offered for sale with an asking price of $2 million US. Even at  todays $1.00AUS=$0.98US, that's a serious amount of cash for a car with race history.

Nonetheless, there are folks around with that cash to splash on rare cars. I guess it's simply "horses for courses".

If this 68 L88 Corvette Race car is the real deal, I hope Dion can realise a fair price for his late fathers' car.;42

Offline gtc

• Supercharged
  • Car: 1970 454 Manual
Real C3 For sale
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2008, 01:00:25 PM »
Auction ended with no bids.
It's C3 chromie for me, see? Si!

Offline 69 DIRTY RAT

• Supercharged
    • http://www.ratpackmuscle.com/
Real C3 For sale
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2008, 05:13:17 PM »
Originally posted by RubyZR1
Originally posted by 69 DIRTY RAT

Hi Andy, do you know if anybody has ever inspected this L88 Race Corvettes' provenance?

If it was the real deal as evidenced by a tank sticker (Corvette Order Copy) and/or a Car Shipper Copy; then it would be worth the dollars you say....if anyone needs proof just ask Andrew Mieckle about his 69 L88 with former race history. Andrews' L88 has been in Oz since the 1970's IIRC.

A few years ago there was a restored 1968 Dow Corning L88 Corvette Race Car offered for sale with an asking price of $2 million US. Even at  todays $1.00AUS=$0.98US, that's a serious amount of cash for a car with race history.

Nonetheless, there are folks around with that cash to splash on rare cars. I guess it's simply "horses for courses".

If this 68 L88 Corvette Race car is the real deal, I hope Dion can realise a fair price for his late fathers' car.;42

Again if it were real you would sell it in the US,  and the price gives it away, even in that condition, with RHD and history...if it were real with numbers match engine and paperwork it would be worth at least $100000, I would buy it on the spot, just like I looked into the other racecar vette they sold, it wasnt the real deal just an L88 block if I remember correctly. The L88 never had a Greenwood body as they were never put on vettes until 74! yes it does have Aussie race history BUT Aussies dont care unfortunately! Andrew's L88 is definetly the real deal even with the non factory original flares its still worth an easy $200,000!
Although dont get me wrong I personally think this racecar is worth 40-60,000 because its set up for racing, BUT its probably not a L88! The reason why the dow corning and similar vettes get big money is because of there Le Mans history!
http://ratpackmuscle.com/ SCARY TOUGH MUSCLECARS

69 540ci, 755HP 734FtLb RAT, 629rwhp

*I LUV MY '69 ZL-1 540ci VETTE, AND SO DOES YOUR GIRLFRIEND!                   

Offline nifty

• Fuel Injected
Real C3 For sale
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2008, 06:14:57 PM »
i love it..... looks tuff,and if it does have a heritage...who wouldnt want that?
its refreshing to actually SEE  what used to be common the usa race tracks......and i bet if you seen more of them you too would grow to like them.....